Stand by generator lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 660mag
Single vis 30w is the answer.

Maybe in South Texas, but straight 30W is going to be thicker than molasses in any northern climate in the winter.

"How about this for a recommendation: Amsoil Z-Rod 10W-30 (ZRT). It has extra zinc for wear protection, added rust-inhibitors to prevent rust when the engine is not run for extended periods ..."

Very nice btanchors, way to think outside the box and come up with an extremely clever choice.
11.gif

Single weight 30 will get you a blown engine in the extreme cold if you get it to crank fast enough to start.

Go to Pep-Boys and get the Castrol Edge 0W-30 that says "European Formula" on the front of the bottle. If they do not have it in stock, ask them to get some in for you. This is known as GC here on BITOG. GC stands for German Castrol. If you look by the bar code on the back it will say "made in Germany".

GC is one of the best oils out there, it is just below a 40 weight, and flows good in the winter. It also does a good job of preventing oil loss.

Remember most engine wear occurs on start, so a stright 30 may produce more wear than a 5-30.

All of the oils that people recommended on this thread are good oils for your genset. GC will work year round, so would T6, and M1 0W-40 TDT.

Your genset probably has a heater that stays on in the winter to keep the oil warm, and if so the Amsoil Z-Rod 10W-30 ZRT would also be a decent choice, but why settle for a 10W for winter use when you can have a 5 or a 0.

GC will hold up to summer heat, and it is great in the winter, I have M1 Vtwin 20-50 for 100 F days, and it is probably a better choice for those kind of days, but GC would work.

One thing I would NEVER do is use any 20W-50 below 15 F, and below 75 F you are probably better off with something thinner.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Your old genset used oil at too high a rate. Was it leaking it or burning it. I have run my plain generator for 1/2 days for a week and it never used any oil.

Like I said earlier, air cooled stand by Generacs will use oil at a higher rate than other generators. The oil capacity w/filter is only 1.7 qt. If you ask their technical services department on their web site, they will tell you that they are designed to use "some" oil.

If you are planning to run it continuously for over two days (especially in the summer), someone better be around to refill it, before it shuts down - due to low oil levels.

I got around this (I think), by using a larger capacity oil filter (giving me a 2 qt capacity). I also used GC instead of the Generac tech recommended Mobil 1 5W30.
It did not "burn off" as quickly. I also found straight 30 wt, to my surprise (during the summer only) did not burn off much either after 50 hours. I will note that my generator was is great shape and did NOT leak oil.

I live in an area of weekenders from NYC. If the power goes out for a few days during the week, they will not be around to check or add oil. Many or most have generators. I have a friend who just bought a Generac propane generator. She is in the southwest on vacation not in NY. If her power goes out who will check/add oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LILGUY
Where can I get a larger capacity oil filter that meets their spec?

On my 15 kw Air Cooled Generator, I used a Toyota Corolla Purolator extended length oil filter. Part# L14477. It is about 3/4" longer than the standard Generac oil filter. I used it for several years without issues. Generac also makes a longer filter the same length as the L14477. I don't know the part number, but it is a bit harder to find. The bottom line; I was able to increase the oil capacity from 1.7 qt up to 2 qts.

If you up your capacity with a longer filter, it still takes the same amount of consumption to get the pan level down to a dangerous point.

I understand the additives last longer and it might get more time to cool off, but adding oil capacity in the filter seems otherwise useless to me...

(BTW, it's cool that it does have a filter, and a cheap car one at that.)

Try this place

http://www.genspringparts.com/

They have an extended capacity factory Generac filter. The past couple years I have used that filter with a German Castrol fill. I used to have a smoky startup using M1 5W-30 fill, but since going to the German Castrol 0w-30 the machine starts without the smoke and sounds a little smoother.

Last edited:
Which filter did you use. The extended life filter is what dealer
sells now. And where can one get GC. Ive checked around and no one
carries it.

I use the Generac 070185E filter. With that filter, the oil capacity goes from 1.7 quarts to 2 quarts on my Generac 13 KWH generator. The filter is pretty well constructed. I have also had some good results with Wix and Napa filters, but neither of them were extended capacity.

I have found German Castorol at Auto Zone stores in my area. I've stockpiled quite a few quarts of it and should have enough for at least 5 years. Some folks have also said Pep Boys now carries it. It is not exactly a fairly common item in all auto stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back