stalling 99 acura cl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody! I'm the proud owner of a 99 Acura CL 2.3. It has 179,xxx miles on it and when I'm driving down the road it likes to stall out on me. To tell you the truth I have no idea what it could be. Maybe the fuel filter?

Is the CEL on ?
Does it stall while driving at city or highway speeds ?
How often does it stall ?
Is the IACV /TB clogged with grime, have you ever cleaned it ?

If it's kinda hard to start it back, but it starts, it might be camshaft position sensor(s). Happened to my Altima couple years ago after very big thunderstorm/little tornado touchdown/ Those sensors very sensitive to magnetism. CEL codes would help a lot
smile.gif

Had a same symptom, just dropped rpms an stalled in the middle of slow driving, and was dropping rpms on hwy(like a safe mode, not more 2000),until I received new sensors and changed them out.

Hondas of that era had a problem with their ignition switch. Most of them had safety recalls i.e. Honda fixed it with no cost to you. If it dies with no warning and starts without any problem, then it will be the ignition switch.

does this one still have a cap and rotor? honda had some bad distro caps back in the 90's that allowed cross-firing and ran really rough/messy as it got worse. if in doubt, go ahead and swap it out. may also idle the car in the dark, look for arcing from the plug wires, indicating bad insulation and new wires needed.

is it just at cruise? symptoms at acceleration? does it do it more in a lower or higher gear?

M

Okay I wanted to wait a few days to get more info on what my car is doing. And this is what it does. It stalls in both city driving and on the e way and when I go to restart it it'll start and run for a second and then die. But yesterday I found out when I start it after it dies if I hold the key is the "start" position after the car is started it fires up fine. And yes the cel is on but i haven't been able to run the code yet. Sorry to ramble on and on. Thanks for the help!

Call the dealer and say the magic words "Ignition Switch Safety Recall" and have them scan your VIN number. They will order the part and when it shows up go there and get it replaced free of charge.

- Vikas

+1 ignition switch. It's just the electrical portion that needs to be changed out, it doesn't need to be re-keyed or anything. The contacts on the inside wear out eventually and cause it to stall if the key jumps back a bit. This was a common problem on 90's Acuras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back