Stainless Steel Non Stick Fried Eggs!

Some of us like the challenge of learning a new technique and not buying something that will get tossed in the landfill in 5 years.
current pan is 8 years old and going strong. cost $20
IF I was going to use regular pan I'd use carbon steel.. way easier than SS.

I have beautifully seasoned cast iron I use at my cabin for eggs.. but that is mainly because I only keep 1 pan there.

It feels like you are going the hardest path for the least gain.

Last edited:
It feels like you are going the hardest path for the least gain.

I think it will suit me fine when I get my technique nailed down, and I'm getting there.
I've owned these pans for many years, I'm just now learning how to fry perfectly with them and say goodbye to non stick pans forever.
They're a set of Kenmore SS pans I bought when Sears Roebuck was still here in town about 10 or 15 years ago.

Last edited:
Same thing with steak, get the pan too hot and the meat begins to sear onto the bottom too quickly.

I think my ground beef stir fry in another post today would have been fine if the pan weren't as hot.
The vegetables were cooking perfectly and the meat stuck a little after I added it.

I got interested in this the other day, then began looking at youtube videos, and
there are so many opinions on this that it tends to make your head spin.

I think my ground beef stir fry in another post today would have been fine if the pan weren't as hot.
The vegetables were cooking perfectly and the meat stuck a little after I added it.

I got interested in this the other day, then began looking at youtube videos, and
there are so many opinions on this that it tends to make your head spin.

My veggies are usually raw (a lot of spinach/kale/swiss chard salad with bell pepper/celery/tomatoes/cucumber/advocado/sunflower seeds/pumpkin seeds etc drizzeled with olive oil, though obviously not all at once), or I also steam cook if they're frozen veggies like peas and carrots.

I have stir fried veggies before, but then I usually BBQ the meat in the summer months until it's almost done, then chop into pieces and add it to my pan with some veggies that were lightly frying in some coconut or sesame oil. It all comes together with some delicious tomato sauce with mushrooms and onions, and a sprinkling of herb sea salt and roasted paprika.

Anyway, the point being that I don't usually fry veggies with the meat, it's normally done independently and just finished off in the same pan. Again done on low heat, not much chance of searing to the pan with constant stirring.

Fried 3 eggs on the "3" setting on my smooth top range today. I had them covered most of the time which seemed to help cook the whites.
They taste good like this and they stuck slightly but they took about 10-15 minutes to cook.
A lower setting would seem to take too long to cook eggs. I used butter and some EV coconut oil.

P1120002.JPG

I did a stir fry this am with onion, cabbage, zucchini, plantain, and grass fed beef, fried in coconut oil in my Starfrit "The Rock" pan.
No sticking at all, and I wiped it clean with a paper towel. I could probably cook some decent eggs in this, and I will try it again soon.
Starfrit is still in business and supposedly their pans are excellent.
It's non stick with no PFOA. I've used metal spatula on it (though I shouldn't) and it didn't damage the pan.
So there's no way I should give up on this pan, it's got a lot of life left in it.

I will still try my SS pans again at different temps.
I have them both seasoned with Grapeseed oil.

Jan 13 2023 (2).JPG

Jan 13 2023 (3).JPG

In my large (seasoned) Kenmore SS pan today I fried 3 eggs with no sticking at all.
I used a 4 to 5 setting. I was expecting them to stick but they didn't.
I used a pat of butter and a tsp of refined coconut oil.
I heated the pan up first, added the butter and oil, and let that heat a while, then added room temperature eggs.
The high pan sides aren't an issue because I have flexible rubber and plastic spatulas.

DSC_2970.JPG

In my large (seasoned) Kenmore SS pan today I fried 3 eggs with no sticking at all.
I heated the pan up first, added the butter and oil, and let that heat a while, then added room temperature eggs.
The high pan sides aren't an issue because I have flexible rubber and plastic spatulas.

View attachment 135489

That's more my style, you can tell you used lower heat this time as the white portion is very smooth with no pockets.

I don't like cooking the snot out of my food, low temps are perfect.

Think about this...
Cast iron is porous. Seasoning it amounts to filling in the pores with oil and/or food.
Stainless steel is not porous.
When we eat food prepared in a seasoned cast iron skillet/pot, we're eating/tasting the residual oil/food that it has been "seasoned" with.
Yuck, no thanks! I learned about cast iron cookware 30+ years ago and threw the skillet out!~
Burgers cooked in 100 year old grease in Memphis , Tn. WTH?
LOL ! Yikes. Get a load of this one. I saw a story about this place on some tv show long ago and was in shock for sure.

That's more my style, you can tell you used lower heat this time as the white portion is very smooth with no pockets.

I don't like cooking the sn*t out of my food, low temps are perfect.

Your use of some words is very distasteful and I've reported it to the admins to hopefully delete.

That's pathetic, disgusting, and inexcusable.

Last edited:
Yeah right! You basically insulted him directly. Totally disgusting and inappropriate; which is why I even reported you!

Sadly I can't tell whether you're joking or not but judging by past responses I think I'm going to just quietly exit this thread.

Sadly I can't tell whether you're joking or not but judging by past responses I think I'm going to just quietly exit this thread.

Oh I’m dead serious. I would definitely exit this thread and future threads for being rude and ignorant towards Mr. Luke.

Maybe you think you are funny but in fact you are just a joke.

View attachment 135489
You can temporarily season stainless steel, but it won't hold like cast iron or perhaps even carbon steel which makes it problematic for home cooking.

Interesting choice of using a sauté pan. The sloped sides of a fry pan will allow more moisture to escape which should discourage sticking.

I've tried using SS to fry eggs and I found that it requires too much oil/fat. I use a 20 yr old 8" All-Clad Teflon aluminum fry pan and can fry a couple of eggs in about 3-4 mins.

Pan on small burner set to high through the entire process.
Pull eggs, bread (toast), butter from fridge.
1 Tbs butter in pan to start melting
Load toaster oven, hit start.
Once butter foams, two eggs in,
Cook 3-4 mins (toast finishes about the same time)
Done.

Sometimes I'll add a little olive oil or extra butter if I want to add turmeric to my eggs. The extra oil/fat allows me to baste the eggs with a spoon.

Another odd thing is that'll I'll dump the eggs from the pain on top of the toast and eat them with a knife and fork. I find the eggs stay warmer, there's less yolk left on the plate for the cat to lick off and I don't need to add butter to the toast because of the butter from the pan.
lol.

Oh I’m dead serious. I would definitely exit this thread and future threads for being rude and ignorant towards Mr. Luke.

Maybe you think you are funny but in fact you are just a joke.
Your use of some words is very distasteful and I've reported it to the admins to hopefully delete.

I think you and mr luke are going about this wrong you must have never heard it before. It is a saying. I am sure he didnt mean anything by it.

You are both over-reacting to an honest statement .
See reply here

You can make corned beef out of any cut of beef. The more tender the cut, the more tender the corned beef. However you can make beef brisket, including corned beef brisket, more tender by cooking the snot out of it.

Last edited:

Yeah right! You basically insulted him directly. Totally disgusting and inappropriate; which is why I even reported you!
Guys, you need to dial the sensitivity back, @hemioiler was being SUPPORTIVE of the cooking style. You've both taken his statement the wrong way. As @Rand noted, "cooking the snot out" of something just means cooking it at high temperature:

The more tender the cut of beef, the more tender the corned beef will become. Cooking the snot out of beef brisket, even corned beef brisket, will make it more tender, but it will not make it taste better. The reason for this is that the more you cook it, the more the connective tissue breaks down, and the more delicate the flesh becomes as a result of this breakdown.
The corned beef will be more tender the more tender the cut. Cooking the snot out of beef brisket, even corned beef brisket, will make it more tender, but it will take longer. The reason for this is that the longer you cook it, the more the connective tissue breaks down, resulting in the flesh being more soft.
The more tender the cut, the more tender the corned beef. However you can make beef brisket, including corned beef brisket, more tender by cooking the snot out of it. The reason is because the more you cook it, the more the connective tissue breaks down and therefore, the more tender the meat becomes.

Feel free to search the phrase on your own, it's a legitimate term!

Back