Stainless Steel Non Stick Fried Eggs!

Maybe I missed it but why are you so against using a nonstick pan?
I'm not the OP but please allow me to say something here.
Non-stick pans are usually coated with Teflon or a similar product.
Human nature---AND this is what I think is the whole crux of the issue--- want to cook hurriedly. We turn the heat all the way up and cook food fast.
Back to the Teflon... When we crank the heat up on the Teflon coated cookware, AND then some people used metal spatulas, which scrape the heated Teflon in the skillets in particular, we burn it off and it winds up in the food that we're eating. . I've seen this demonstrated in real world experience.
And FWIW, Eggs cook best slowly.

I'm not the OP but please allow me to say something here.
Non-stick pans are usually coated with Teflon or a similar product.
Human nature---AND this is what I think is the whole crux of the issue--- want to cook hurriedly. We turn the heat all the way up and cook food fast.
Back to the Teflon... When we crank the heat up on the Teflon coated cookware, AND then some people used metal spatulas, which scrape the heated Teflon in the skillets in particular, we burn it off and it winds up in the food that we're eating. . I've seen this demonstrated in real world experience.
And FWIW, Eggs cook best slowly.
Polytetrafluoroethylene is one of the least bio-available materials on the planet.

PT,

Thanks for posting that video- man is that chef talented- great watch.

I struggle to flip an omelet with a spatula, he flips omelets with chop sticks!!

There are some key points from that video that are not explained.

First the pan looks to be plain carbon steel and a bit on the thin side at that. Not an expensive pan but it works. It has been seasoned and the chef uses plenty of oil in his technique.

Second, the pan is used for eggs and eggs only. That’s a key point.

Third, one does not wash these pans. They get wiped clean. No dish soap is needed.

Perhaps Mr Luke could use those points to find his magic pan? It will not be stainless steel though.

Reactions: GON
I watched many more youtube videos about people that seasoned their SS pans and supposedly made them non stick, and other that did not season their SS pan, but used various techniques.
I tried cooking eggs 2 more times yesterday. The first time was an omelet, I was going to copy a woman that seasoned her pan with coconut oil, let it cool, etc., and did an omelet with no oil at all, and at a low temperature, but I added a little oil anyway. The 1st side didn't stick but it stuck a little after I flipped it over.

Then later I tried just frying some eggs with a different technique a woman recommends, where she heats the pan until water dances around the pan (which I don't think I'm going to try any more), and then she only added 3 or 4 drops of oil. (That was wrong, because there needs to be more oil, IMHO). Those eggs came out fairly well (but my SS pan had been seasoned too, FWIW). I cooked 3 sunny side up eggs that way, and covered them after a minute or two. Then I think one of my cats ate most of the yolk off one of them when I left it on a plate on the stove after the stove was turned off. I'm just not a fan of high heat cooking and creating smoke to pollute my breathing air.

So I'm going to try it next time with oil and butter, low heat, and I may cover the eggs. I've seen people cover eggs and low heat and get no sticking and perfect sunny side up eggs with SS pans. But IMHO there has to be enough oil in the pan, and butter works good, and ghee even better, mixed with 1 TBS or so of oil. At low temp you won't need to worry about smoking. I'm going to get a pound of butter and make my own ghee again. I've made ghee many times over the years. They say ghee makes an excellent fat for frying eggs. Ghee has a high smoke point of about 480*F.
They also say, if you cook this way, at low heat with no sticking, and you wipe the pan out afterwards and not wash it in soap, the pan will season itself and make it more non stick in the future.

Polytetrafluoroethylene is one of the least bio-available materials on the planet.
I am not the OP, and I have all 4 types of pans.

I have the newest non stick style pans, including an individual egg pan with 4 separate compartments to keep them perfectly round I just got for Christmas

I have cast iron. I like using them for certain things. I can get them really hot - sear, then put in the oven or directly on the grill.

I have a carbon steel wok.

I have stainless steel pans for everything else, but i don't usually fry in them. I might try it based on this post however.

The right tool for the job.

Instead of getting a new 8" SS fry pan with sloped edges, I may fry eggs in my bigger 10" SS pan at low heat,
and put a smaller cover over the eggs to help cook the whites and the top of the yolk.
I've seen people do this on youtube with excellent results in SS pans, and no sticking at all.

DSC_2957.JPG

Had a stir fry yesterday with mushroom, onion, zucchini, and plantains, then added 3 eggs.
Plantains soak up oil, and that caused it to stick.
Lots of other vegetables should fry up fine and not cause sticking.
Many vegs like cabbage, onion, zucchini, mushroom, seem to add moisture to the pan as they cook so I think they should help prevent sticking even more.

I think potatoes also tend to cause sticking in an SS frying pan.
One of these days I'm just going to work on frying eggs and just getting a good over easy egg with no sticking, and I don't think that will be hard to do now that I've done some homework on the topic.

Terrible choice for eggs IMHO...

Stainless...ugh, going to stick
High sides...ugh, can't get a good angle on the spatula to get a clean flip
Huge pan for just a couple eggs...ugh, can't get any thickness to the whites to get a good meaty bite, and it will fry the edges

you could have added this to your other egg thread imo.

How many premature egg pan threads do we need :ROFLMAO:

Maybe post after you find something that works... vs before trying out the theory.

I'll keep using my non-stick egg pan that I only use for eggs.

here is a decent one for 13.47
medium heat max.

Thanks but I'm working on eggs done via SS pans.
It's more of a challenge but is totally do-able and will not lose it's non stick ability after you learn a technique.
SS pans last virtually forever. Helps keep stuff out of the landfill.

Not if you choose to educate yourself.
+1
We also avoided SS for years.
Only once we learnt of the magic of preheating, did we finally see the light!
Now we only have SS and cast iron in our kitchen.
The SS pans get used daily, multiple times.

Gotta admit, much healthier (no teflon poisioning) and they last forever!
:cool:

I use those copper colored ones. No stick and hopefully no toxic coating. I have stainless but rarely use them for reason already mentioned.

Last edited:
Haven't the toxins in the Teflon been removed by government regulation years ago? I know the technology has grown a ton since the first pans came out.

A quick google search shows even the American Cancer Society considers modern Teflon safe...and we talk about engine oil ;-)

Haven't the toxins in the Teflon been removed by government regulation years ago? I know the technology has grown a ton since the first pans came out.

A quick google search shows even the American Cancer Society considers modern Teflon safe...and we talk about engine oil ;-)
There never were "toxins in the Teflon".

Soooo...what are the health concerns? Toxins in the application process?
No not that either. When heated to a very high temperature the material can decompose into toxic substances. However that is way above where you'd cook an egg. If your stove is not on fire then it's not an issue and never has been.

There are no health concerns when using a Teflon coated pan nor consuming some of the material.

Back