Stainless Steel Non Stick Fried Eggs!

Fast forward to two minute mark. Use plenty of oil. Hot pan. Hot oil.

Note that the pan is nothing special. Eggs don’t stick.

Reactions: GON
I am fairly new to cast iron but I now have 3 lodge pans. There good pans, but I have spent hours sanding and polishing to a decent finish, then several more cycles of seasoning to get them closer to non stick. So if you want to cook an egg in a lodge pan be prepared to invest several hours and plenty of elbow grease into finishing the pan.

Thanks for the warning. I guess I don't want to get into something like that.
If I have to though I may get a new 8" SS fry pan.

OK, I fried 3 more eggs today and they stuck again.
This time I put the SS pan on the bigger back smooth top burner and turned the heat on 5 which is right in the middle.
Then I added about 1 TBS of refined coconut oil and some refined sesame oil, then 3 room temp eggs.
They didn't stick real bad because I was able to scrape the stuck egg off the pan with a soft plastic spatula.
Tomorrow I may try a little more heat, about the same amount of oil, and on my Starfrit The Rock non stick pan (that stuck the other day), just to see if I can get to fry eggs in it with no sticking.

Or, I could try the SS pan again with more oil, as is advised by at least one person on youtube.
He says you should have over 2 TBS of oil in the pan when you fry eggs in SS.

Or maybe I damaged my SS pan by using a metal spatula on it when eggs stuck to it, and maybe I'd do good if I got a new SS 8" pan and never put metal to it. But before I buy a new pan I have more experimenting to do with both pans.

good luck + ditto on bacon grease a HEALTHY SATURATED fat that tastes great!! just ordered my favorite bacon from Bergers their thick cut bacon steak!!
Not healthy.

Also, of COURSE fried eggs taste good with tons of fat (oil or butter). Duh.

I use about a tablespoon of mixed EVOO and avocado oil (to raise temp). I start at a 7/10 setting, add the eggs and then lower the temp as the eggs start to fry. I use refrigerato-temp eggs, which will cool the pan down initially. I like mine over easy, so when the egg white is mostly white and very little clear I flip it and turn the heat off completely. Another minute and the eggs are perfect. Oh, I use a non-stick pan. I find that helps with the sticking part :poop:

My kids usually like scrambled eggs. High heat will ruin scrambled eggs. 4/10 is perfect. I actually usually turn the temp up to 6/10 until a flick of water from my wetted hands starts to sizzle, add mix, and then immediately then the heat down to 4/10. 6/10 initially is not required and just to speed things up.

//

Also, I have bad luck with cast iron. I spent a whole day seasoning a pan. Multiple heat sessions and coconut oil coatings. I forget how much, but it was twice what was recommended online. The pan was glorious to behold when all was said and down and the first use was a pleasure. I actually gently rinsed the pan and then added another costing and heat cycle just to be careful. I out the pan away in a location with a dehumidifier and when I went to use it a few weeks later it was surprisingly rusty. I obviously did something wrong, but I was so mad that I bagged that pan and it’s now in a shelf in the basement!

Today’s eggs tsp of EVOO non stick Cephalon as posted above perfect every time everyday. Cold eggs room temp directly from under the hens don’t matter hot pan warm pan don’t matter. Hand flipped I haven’t used a utensil to flip in years never a need.
FE3889CC-D577-46D9-A02E-557CECC91619.jpeg

I have 3 cheap lodge pans. In factory trim they will not fry an egg without sticking - the rough surface is the issue. Like I said, I have polished mine down to a smooth finish and re seasoned, but your talking about a 2 - 3 hours of work total.

The 100 dollar pans are more or less the same thing that someone put in a CNC and smoothed for your. So pay or invest the sweat equity.

Here's another thing : my SS pan may not have been clean enough. The surface IMHO looks in good condition.
I washed it in warm water with Bar Keeper's Friend scouring powder and a dish cloth and now it looks cleaner.
So will try again tomorrow, a little hotter pan, but not with a lot of oil, and room temperature eggs.

Cold eggs room temp directly from under the hens don’t matter hot pan warm pan don’t matter. Hand flipped I haven’t used a utensil to flip in years never a need.

Yes but pan and egg temperatures do matter when using SS or CI, which, in case you forgot,
is what I intended this post to be about, not non stick pans.

Yes but pan and egg temperatures do matter when using SS or CI, which, in case you forgot,
is what I intended this post to be about, not non stick pans.
I wish you luck you want them to work you gotta float them on oil. I’ve been down this rabbit hole before and one day you get lucky next time *** I did the same thin. I know what works day after day after day no matter what the conditions are. Again you want it to work float them in oil.

I get 20+eggs every day from my hens I’ve had plenty of time and eggs to waste getting it right it never was worth it never was consistent without a ton of fat. Tomorrow I’ll do just over in a non stick and have perfect results I’ll be posting.

Last edited:
Back