Stainless Steel Non Stick Fried Eggs!

No not that either. When heated to a very high temperature the material can decompose into toxic substances. However that is way above where you'd cook an egg. If your stove is not on fire then it's not an issue and never has been.

There are no health concerns when using a Teflon coated pan nor consuming some of the material.
That was my understanding...just wondering about this concern about using what seems to be a better performing product.
No matter, just trying to learn. I will keep using my nice teflon pans...they are awesome!

That was my understanding...just wondering about this concern about using what seems to be a better performing product.
No matter, just trying to learn. I will keep using my nice teflon pans...they are awesome!
I agree, I think cooking eggs is a textbook example of their use. Stainless steel pans are a textbook example of what not to use.

No not that either. When heated to a very high temperature the material can decompose into toxic substances. However that is way above where you'd cook an egg. If your stove is not on fire then it's not an issue and never has been.

There are no health concerns when using a Teflon coated pan nor consuming some of the material.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_We_Know

+1
We also avoided SS for years.
Only once we learnt of the magic of preheating, did we finally see the light!
Now we only have SS and cast iron in our kitchen.
The SS pans get used daily, multiple times.

Gotta admit, much healthier (no teflon poisioning) and they last forever!
:cool:
I'm intrigued by the Leidenfrost / water drop effect too.
If you can get it right, it's faster.
Saw a new video on that today and now I'm wanting to keep experimenting until I came do it myself.
I want to be able to fry 3 eggs, one at a time at the perfect temperature.
Perhaps add a little more oil after each egg, wait, and add another room temperature egg.

I felt like trying eggs in a hot pan again, that was where water drops roll around the rim of the pan.
That was about 6 on the dial which is 1 setting over medium.
Tried the small pan first, and had 3 warm eggs ready. Added about 1 tsp of coconut oil, let it heat up a bit, then added an egg.
It stuck quite a bit so I flipped it and heated up the bigger pan to the water drop test heat.
This time, I added about 1 tsp of butter and let it heat up a bit, added an egg and heard all those neat noises it makes when the egg fries.
Flipped it, and added a dab more butter, then another egg. By this time, the butter was smoking quite a bit.
There was not much sticking at all with butter, and I'm convinced butter or ghee is the way to fry eggs, at whatever temperature you choose.
The hot butter made the house smell good, though I didn't like the smoke. I don't have a stove vent that goes to the outdoors.
I might try more eggs like that but with a pan that's a bit cooler.
I might do well with butter if I reduce the heat some. Or butter with some oil.
But that was too much heat. Eggs shouldn't look dark like that, though they tasted good.
Some people seem to cook well with that much heat but not me.

Taken with an Olympus E 420.

P1100001.JPG

Of course it will. I saw people do it on youtube.
There's a right way and a wrong way to use anything, including frying eggs in SS cookware.
What matters is NOT SS, but the bottom of the pan, how good is it, is it copper or aluminum sandwiched between the layers (copper = better= more $$) The reason for SS is one and only one, no need to season it and care for it. CI will do a better job in most instances, but it does require more care. In the end as long as they are both hot when breaking the egg it doesn't matter.

FWIW; I use a SS pan for everything because I'm lazy and don't like the teflon coatings that inevitably fall off into my food.

I have no problems frying eggs or anything else in my pan. I use a bit of coconut oil (or bacon if the pan was just used to fry that). I prefer very low heat for pretty much all frying; steak, eggs, bacon etc, all on pretty much the "1" or "2" setting if it's the large pit or 3 on the smaller one. I do stay on top of the eggs, and with a rubber spatula I tend to dig under them as soon as the bottom layer is solid enough for it, sort of "unstick" them before their stuck good and then fry them a bit longer before turning them over.

Generally if you see lots of big air pockets in the whites of the egg, the heat was too high.

Just my 2 cents, you may want to try lower heat instead.

What matters is NOT SS, but the bottom of the pan, how good is it, is it copper or aluminum sandwiched between the layers (copper = better= more $$) The reason for SS is one and only one, no need to season it and care for it. CI will do a better job in most instances, but it does require more care. In the end as long as they are both hot when breaking the egg it doesn't matter.

My pans are Kenmore and are induction ready.
I'm sure it has has other metals in it, and it has a copper ring around the base of it.

I'm giving words of encouragement I have ffaith you will succeed.
to be fair and respectful I will not chime in anymore.

Last edited:
Hey, you know what?
I'd welcome you to my ignore list.
You and your trouble maker buddy, '53 Stude.
Lol there must be more users on your list than off. In most threads that you start you’re banning someone.

Of course since I’m on your list you’ll never see this.

Tomorrow I'm going to fry eggs with butter on lower heat. I'm looking forward to see how that works out.
I was amazed how cooking with butter today there was much less sticking than with coconut oil.

I prefer very low heat for pretty much all frying; steak, eggs, bacon etc, all on pretty much the "1" or "2" setting if it's the large pit or 3 on the smaller one.

A guy on youtube does it that way also but I haven't tried that yet.
How many eggs do you cook at a time this way?
The guy on the YT video seemed to do one egg at a time, which sounds like it would be time consuming.

A guy on youtube does it that way also but I haven't tried that yet.
How many eggs do you cook at a time this way?
The guy on the YT video seemed to do one egg at a time, which sounds like it would be time consuming.

As many as I'm eating, usually 4.

I've noticed especially with bacon that if the heat goes above 2 (glass top stove, large pit + large SS pan) then the bacon will begin to really fry onto it. With lower heats, the bacon puts out more grease naturally and self oils the pan so I don't use any grease in the pan and the pan is not treated in any way (washed after each use). Then when the bacon begins to fry I just wiggle all 6 strips around in the pan to "unseat" them and then maybe do that once or twice before flipping them over to fry the other side.

Same thing with steak, get the pan too hot and the meat begins to sear onto the bottom too quickly.

Not only does low heat work better in the pan, I find the meat is usually juicier as you're not cooking all the natural fat/juice out of it. I also do low heat on the BBQ too.

As many as I'm eating, usually 4.

I've noticed especially with bacon that if the heat goes above 2 (glass top stove, large pit + large SS pan) then the bacon will begin to really fry onto it. With lower heats, the bacon puts out more grease naturally and self oils the pan so I don't use any grease in the pan and the pan is not treated in any way (washed after each use). Then when the bacon begins to fry I just wiggle all 6 strips around in the pan to "unseat" them and then maybe do that once or twice before flipping them over to fry the other side.

Same thing with steak, get the pan too hot and the meat begins to sear onto the bottom too quickly.

Not only does low heat work better in the pan, I find the meat is usually juicier as you're not cooking all the natural fat/juice out of it. I also do low heat on the BBQ too.
Very interesting.
Do you ever fry just vegetables on low heat, and then add eggs after the veggies have cooked a while?
I think that would have worked out good this morning with fried veggies in butter and coconut oil, but when I added grass fed ground beef it started sticking. But maybe I had the pan too hot with the control pointing straight down, set at 5. I think if I'd heated the pan up at 5, added the oil, and then reduced the heat to 3 or under when I added the food, that would work good.

Last edited:
seems like alot of effort.. I take my cold eggs out of fridge crack them onto the skillet after it warms up for 30s
3-5min later they are done.
If I'm in a hurry I'll use a spritz of pam.

Good Modern nonstick skillets are MUCH more durable then 15 years ago and contain no teflon.. well unless you get the dollar tree skillet.

seems like alot of effort..

Some of us like the challenge of learning a new technique and not buying something that will get tossed in the landfill in 5 years.

Last edited:
Back