Stainless Steel Non Stick Fried Eggs!

I was thinking about getting a cast iron fry pan to fry eggs without sticking, then got to reading a thread here about it and some guy mentioned that he uses stainless steel to fry anything and it never sticks as long as it's done right. This got me thinking, then I saw some youtube videos all about non stick frying with SS ass well as iron. Supposedly frying in CI / cast iron tastes better, but either CI or SS can be non stick every day of the week if you do it right.
I've got 3 small fry pans, 2 are non stick, and 1 is SS, from my nice set of Kenmore SS cookware.
After reading this, I think I'll get rid of my non stick fry pans and just use SS.

For one thing, never try to fry a cold egg = causes sticking.
This is why experienced cooks always have eggs ready at room temperature, at least enough for the next day.
Another thing, never wash your SS pan in soap again.
Once you season it like a CI pan you just wipe it out, possibly with kosher salt to help remove any food residue.

I haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to some non stick fried eggs tomorrow.
Fried, runny eggs are my favorite way to eat eggs.
Now I'm going to do it right.

That's my Starfrit "The Rock" pan which I guess is a good pan, but I think I'll like this new non stick SS way of frying better.
No more scrubbing pans in the sink.No need for non stick pans if you treat your SS or CI pans right.

P2080588.JPG

I’ve never heard of seasoning stainless steel cookware. None of my Alclad Stainless is seasoned and it cannot be seasoned.
Cast iron cookware must be seasoned and cared for as instructed.
To cook eggs in cast iron or stainless, the cookware must be at temperature before adding grease or oil. The grease or oil must come up to temperature, before adding the eggs. The best oil or grease for frying eggs is bacon grease.
The eggs do not have to be at room temperature unless you are using them for baking purposes.

Of course it will. I saw people do it on youtube.
There's a right way and a wrong way to use anything, including frying eggs in SS cookware.
Please provide a link or two to the videos you watched. Thanks!

Interesting Idea, let us know how it turns out. I sanded all my cast iron down smooth and seasoned them so I can do eggs that don't stick - mostly. Interested to see if it is possible with stainless. Cast iron has a bit of texture even when sanded for the seasoning to stick to - where as stainless does not, so I will be interested to see how it goes.

Good luck with that brotha! IME eggs in SS or CI require far too much of an oil/fat to be non-stick. If you've ever been at an omelet station the cook often uses SS BUT each new omelet is met with a heavy dose of oil. There is a reason for that.....A well-seasoned CI with a small amount of butter can work much easier but temp control is more difficult yet critical.

Good luck with that brotha! IME eggs in SS or CI require far too much of an oil/fat to be non-stick. If you've ever been at an omelet station the cook often uses SS BUT each new omelet is met with a heavy dose of oil. There is a reason for that.....A well-seasoned CI with a small amount of butter can work much easier but temp control is more difficult yet critical.
Butter has a low smoke point. Bacon grease, coconut oil, or avocado oil work best.
One more critical point. Gas or coil element electric ranges work best for cooking eggs. Those smooth glass top ranges are the pits. The temperature cannot be regulated as well as gas or conventional coil type electric ranges.

Butter has a low smoke point. Bacon grease, coconut oil, or avocado oil work best.
One more critical point. Gas or coil element electric ranges work best for cooking eggs. Those smooth glass top ranges are the pits. The temperature cannot be regulated as well as gas or conventional coil type electric ranges.

We use Avacado oil or butter for eggs in SS. Eggs is SS are cooked at 310F on my Demere SS; smoke point of butter can be as low as 250F but many "real" butters are more into the low 300F range. That has been my experience. The point is SS without a fat will not yield non-stick eggs even if the eggs are room temperature. Even hybrid SS is not ideal for non-stick eggs without a fat.

Bacon grease: Can't even go there. Not anything I'd ever cook in for my family or me. Genuine butter, Avacado, or Xtra Virgin oil is what we use. I hate to use Veg oil but at times we must for baking.

We use Avacado oil or butter for eggs in SS. Eggs is SS are cooked at 310F on my Demere SS; smoke point of butter can be as low as 250F but many "real" butters are more into the low 300F range. That has been my experience. The point is SS without a fat will not yield non-stick eggs even if the eggs are room temperature. Even hybrid SS is not ideal for non-stick eggs without a fat.

Bacon grease: Can't even go there. Not anything I'd ever cook in for my family or me. Genuine butter, Avacado, or Xtra Virgin oil is what we use. I hate to use Veg oil but at times we must for baking.
I would use clarified butter instead.

I cook my eggs using butter. Never a problem with sticking. As far a frying pans, I love my Ninja never stick pans.

You can say that again.

I hate glass top ranges. Unfortunately our new house has one.

Our apartment had a standard coil type electric range.

Eventually I’d like to upgrade to a gas range with gas convection oven.

I've been a big fan of coconut oil for over 20 years.
I want to perfect frying eggs in coconut oil in my SS pan, and I should be able to.

They say you get the best temp with the Leidenfrost Effect where drops of water dance across the pan.
So far I have not been able to see this with my own eyes. It just takes more experimenting.

I tried 2 eggs fried in my Starfrit The Rock pan this AM, and after oiling it with butter and a little olive oil, they stuck badly.
I've seen more videos, and I need to experiment more.
I honestly don't want to fiddle around with non stick pans any more.
I want to perfect SS frying.

Back