Stained the driveway AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
11838%2015%20Quart%20Oil%20Drain.jpg

I need to quit using this stupid oil catch pan because it has 2 flaws that expose themselves when you are an idiot like me:

1. The little breather hole MUST be opened before allowing oil to collect in the reservoir. If you don't open it, all that hot, dark oil won't be able to drip in quickly enough before it all spills over the side and onto virgin concrete.

2. The screw in cap in the center drain should PROBABLY be opened before you start draining the oil or it won't have anywhere to go but over the side!

I think I'm just going to start using an open pan. Spilling oil onto the driveway twice is enough for me to learn.

I'm off to buy some cat litter to absorb it up over the next few months. (grumble grumble)

I had one of those. The other MAJOR problem is its too SHALLOW. The oil hits it and splashes all over. And like you said the vents have to be open and still don't drain.

Filled full of water and shot with a .44mag is the best use for it. While it did not get my $12 back, it did relieve some stress for trying to use it.

Another poor designed item...
06.gif

Bill

Fumoto valve with hose attached to the nipple works great, all you need is an empty milk or Gatorade jug. ZERO mess and no hassles.

I have one of these which has a plastic screen to catch the plug and for draining the oil filter:

11837%2010%20Quart%20Oil%20Drain.jpg

Just wondering if there is a better one out there?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Fumoto valve with hose attached to the nipple works great, all you need is an empty milk or Gatorade jug. ZERO mess and no hassles.

For me is the Fram sure drains with a hose. The Fumoto already sticks down way too much without the nipple and since can't use the hose its pretty messy.

img0737ux5.jpg

Thankfully the only Fumoto that I use is on a vehicle with 9 inches of ground clearance.. (and I'm still worried)

I just use a open normal $2 plastic 7 quart pan.

Bill

I have this same pan. However, I've made some adjustments to it. I took a jig saw and cut a large hole that left about 3 inches from the side. Oil drains into it really well and the lip around the perimeter keeps oil from coming out of the pan.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
I have one of these which has a plastic screen to catch the plug drain the oil filter:

11837%2010%20Quart%20Oil%20Drain.jpg

Just wondering if there is a better one out there?

My Dad has one of those. Still splashes the oil when it hits the screen.

Nice deep pan that is wide is the ticket. If it has a lip around 90% of it even better (have not found that yet)

Bill

took a pan like that, laid it under my one ton truck which holds three gallons of oil and let it drain into the the pan, of course I didnt open the little vent dealie, went into the garage worked for a bit then came back to a huge mess!

Captain Hazelwood send me a "nice try" Certificate.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

I've got a Fram Sure Drain on the Frontier---great deal for drainage. But, I occasionally make a mess getting the oil filter off (especially the time the old filter slipped out of my hand as it came unthreaded, rolled down my arm, and hit me in the side of the head).

Reddy45,

I use this Blitz 5 gallon drain pan. It's great - nice and big which catches everything and is easy to empty.

oil_on_22.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cos
Reddy45,

I use this Blitz 5 gallon drain pan. It's great - nice and big which catches everything and is easy to empty.

oil_on_22.gif

I use that same one and agree, it's really good. I have yet to spill oil all over the place using it - and that's saying something.

Old school galvanized feed pan... Deep enough to hold about 3 gallons, yet shallow enough to easily get under the car.

MILL0009609-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
11838%2015%20Quart%20Oil%20Drain.jpg

I need to quit using this stupid oil catch pan because it has 2 flaws that expose themselves when you are an idiot like me:

1. The little breather hole MUST be opened before allowing oil to collect in the reservoir. If you don't open it, all that hot, dark oil won't be able to drip in quickly enough before it all spills over the side and onto virgin concrete.

2. The screw in cap in the center drain should PROBABLY be opened before you start draining the oil or it won't have anywhere to go but over the side!

I think I'm just going to start using an open pan. Spilling oil onto the driveway twice is enough for me to learn.

I'm off to buy some cat litter to absorb it up over the next few months. (grumble grumble)
You want to see a mess-try draining a Cummins or other engine with a big drain plug opening & a large capacity into one of those-the oil comes out so fast that even with the vent open-it can't handle it fast enough & it overflows everywhere!

I have the same pan as the OP, and would like to join the club of those who have forgotten to open to vent cap.

What a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back