Stained the driveway AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cos
Reddy45,

I use this Blitz 5 gallon drain pan. It's great - nice and big which catches everything and is easy to empty.

oil_on_22.gif

You know what's a kick in the butt? About 6 months ago I saw one of those at walmart and audibly scoffed at the idea.

Gonna go eat some crow now...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Old school galvanized feed pan... Deep enough to hold about 3 gallons, yet shallow enough to easily get under the car.

MILL0009609-1.jpg

I like the idea of this. My dad has a few old ones laying around at his house. Ive always found that oily residue is easier to clean from metal since you can use solvents.

The simple open pan that can be bought anywhere for Just be sure that the one you use holds enough for the sump you're draining.
No mess, last for years, and are cheap enough.

The plug in the center strips out VERY easily on that one too. I've had two of them and both center plugs stripped. I started using the green open one someone posted in a later reply. I just drain it into my empty oil containers and then wipe it down with rags.

Speaking of stained driveways though, I blew a brake line on my truck about 1/2 mile from home and now have brake fluid EVERYWHERE!

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
11838%2015%20Quart%20Oil%20Drain.jpg

I need to quit using this stupid oil catch pan because it has 2 flaws that expose themselves when you are an idiot like me:

1. The little breather hole MUST be opened before allowing oil to collect in the reservoir. If you don't open it, all that hot, dark oil won't be able to drip in quickly enough before it all spills over the side and onto virgin concrete.

2. The screw in cap in the center drain should PROBABLY be opened before you start draining the oil or it won't have anywhere to go but over the side!

I think I'm just going to start using an open pan. Spilling oil onto the driveway twice is enough for me to learn.

I'm off to buy some cat litter to absorb it up over the next few months. (grumble grumble)

Weird...I love my 2.

I don't like the design of that pan. When I do an oil change I have a 4'x8' piece of paneling that I lay under the car. The driveway stays clean. Even with the best drain pans if the wind is blowing the oil gets all over the place. The paneling eliminates that headache too.

I have both the green Blitz pan and the pan the OP has.

I use the green one for antifreeze drain/refills. I was using the other one for oil changes rather successfully until I changed the oil on my truck last time. I blamed it on misalignment though and the oil hit near the edge, shooting right out of the pan. It was one of those days and I was doing everything myself, including driving it up on ramps, etc. I usually have someone around to hand me stuff.

I change my oil on carpet. I then toss a BBQ grill rug that has a rubber backing on top of the carpet so no oil seeps through.

I wouldn't mind picking up another green pan. Those come in really handy.

The giant green Blitz pan works pretty well, mostly because they're so big. For coolant, I usually just use a bucket (unless I need the pan), to avoid making sludge from any residual oil film in the pan.

I have it and never had problems with it. I usually can guess where the stream of oil goes and it hits dead on the drain and never had spillage.

I hate open pans because you have a greater chance of spilling more oil than you would with these.(the ripple/splash effect).

I use an old Blitz-type pan I inherited from my gf's father. Works great, has a screen to drain filters and does not have or need the small vent opening.

I put down cardboard under my truck and her car when I change oil. It keeps from making a mess on the garage floor and is a little more comfortable to lie down on than bare concrete.

I pour the used oil into an empty 14-pound cat litter container. These make great containers for taking used oil to my local AAP for recycling. When the container is full, I just hand it to the guy at the store and I don't even have to wait to get it back from them. They throw it away or recycle it I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back