ST Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the current opinion out there regarding ST filters.

are the new ST filters e-core..and am I correct in sensing quite alot of negativity regarding ST filters now?

the way they are "regarded" seems to have diminshed lately....

I used to use them alot. Never had an issue with the E-core. Currently Motorcraft filters simply work better in my applications for a cost difference that is not significant.

There have been many threads here regarding ST and Ecore. You can try the search feature. Or, as I sometimes do, just go backward through the oil filter board looking for ST filter topics.

Some info. < 3" dia. are not Ecore but older metal endcaps and metal inner tube. >3" dia are Ecore.

I'd have no problem using either design for 3-5k OCI. Currently using #3614 Ecore on a Tacoma. I much prefer them over a Fram Extra Guard.

Read some of the threads, and make up your own mind. IMO, Ecore design is fine.

Originally Posted By: jediwebmstr
what is the current opinion out there regarding ST filters.

IMO, they are okay. But if you own a Ford or have a car that can use a Motorcraft filter, the price difference isn't enough to purchase an ST.
I used them a lot back when they were the pre-ecore price of $1.79 and even when they were $2.39.
I guess when I now need to use a low priced filter, I buy QS or NAPA ProSelect. When I need an excellent filter, I get Motorcraft or Wix.
There are some guys on this forum who think the ST is a wonderful filter. Either way, it's better than a lot of brands out there.

Last edited:
I am hoping to score some clearanced ST 3950's that I used from the time I cut open a Fram until they disappeared. If I could identify something bigger than an ST 3593A to replace them, I would go with it. The ST 3953A is much smaller than the 3950 and has a clicker bypass. I am not impressed with the new Purolators either. I am currently trying to identify a Motorcraft to fit my 77 LUV. When I could find them, AC's were great filters, and I could hope the Ford OEM is just as good.

In the past, I cut open a bunch of moderately priced filters. Most of them were about the same inside including ST. The AC's had half again more media, and Fram half as much as the rest. Things have changed and I don't know what to trust now.

FWIW, I agree with using Motorcraft if you can find it for your app. The FL820S and other Motorcrafts are a great bang for the buck.

Just while perhaps not spectacular, the ST will get the job done just fine.

ST are a good (not great) budget filter.
I use them sometimes. I would say slightly better than an Orange can Fram.

I use them most of them time. I use the current non E-core 7317 and have use the E-Core (3614) cut most of them open after use, so far it's been great.

I still use them on two vehicles. Only time I don't is if I get some of the Purolator premium plus at the AAP BOGO sales...

The ST filters have been great and have given me zero issues. The two sizes I use are the
The bottom line is that they are still great filters for the money.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
My brother is currently running one on his Caliber , with no issues....

I guess it's better then a FRAM O death
15.gif
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back