ST 20w-50 - The Miracle Cure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
super overly thick.

Yeah right.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
20-50 dino is OK in an engine that has mechanical problems, as it may not be around long anyway.

Well the engine doesn't have to have a mechanical issue to use 20w50, although that's certainly a reason to. I use to go to an old school mechanic that used 20w50 because he thought it was "better", even in Lincoln Towncars that called for 5w20. Many of these guys had 300K+ miles on their engines with 20w50. I don't advocate using 20w50 or anything and surely these engines would have gone the distance on 5w20, I'm just saying that it's ok for use in many engines, just not necessary.

OP, that's a significant reduction in usage, hope it keeps up.

Originally Posted By: BrianC
Originally Posted By: ron17571
Try STP engine treatment,It comes out like maple syrup. I posted once about how i used two quarts of this and two quarts of 20-50 in my Datsun and had no problems. It stopped the smoking and slowed the oil consumption.
Nooooo...STP is like refrigerated molasses. It's clean sludge that turns to dirty sludge, and that's about it. Don't put this junk in your engine, or your enemies engine. Using a properly formulated oil on the thicker side is the way to go. Forget these junk additives on the market.

A true story:

About 10 years ago a guy came into our restoration shop with a beautiful '66 Galaxie with a 428 ci engine. He was wondering why his car only held 3 quarts of oil when it used to hold 5 when he bought it 30 years ago. It was starting to run hot. The motor had 285,000 miles on it and had a valve job some 75,000 miles ago. We dropped the pan, and as expected there was a hard crystalline build up in the bottom and along the sides. I don't think there was more than 1/4" of free space around the oil pick up. After about 30 minutes of beating on the pan with a hammer and chisel, and getting nowhere fast, we said F it and put a new pan on the car.

Yup. He added a can of STP every 3,000 miles when he changed the oil.

Z

Old post but new info. Changed oil last week in the Aerio at 5K. After changing over to 20W-50 I've only added about a 1-1/2 qts over 5K miles. Big improvement over the 1 qt per 1K miles it was burning.

Instead of ST I bought some NAPA 20W-50 on sale for 1.99 a quart. Will monitor to see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back