Shell 10w30 or ST HM for Oil Consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Grand Marquis uses about 1 quart every 1000 miles. It sees mostly short trips around town. Costco has Shell Formula 10w30 on sale for about $2.30/quart. Super Tech High Mileage is about $2.90/quart. Which would help more with oil consumption? What weight ST? 5w30 or 10w30? Looking to reduce costs and consumption since my better half doesn't check oil very often and I almost never drive the car.

I haven't seen either one mentioned here before for consumption. May want to try Maxlife or Pennzoil HM. Have you changed your PCV valve lately?

If this is a early 4.6 with failing valve stem seals, no oil I ever found will make a noticeable difference...

It's a 1999 4.6. I believe it has the improved stem seals. PCV was replaced and didn't see much improvement.

It's the short trips that uses oil. If we take it on a long trip, consumption is almost zero.

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
It's a 1999 4.6. I believe it has the improved stem seals. PCV was replaced and didn't see much improvement.

It's the short trips that uses oil. If we take it on a long trip, consumption is almost zero.

Move farther away from the places you frequent...
27.gif

Are you sure something isn't leaking??? Oil pan, rear main seal, etc???

My Jetta consumes more oil at short trips than long ones as well. I'm using synthetic oil spec'd for my car.

Do you use OEM oil filters? It's important to get the right oil pressure at start-up as you don't want too thick an oil cause your oil filter to go bypass. I'd use oil that gets the engine up to operating temp ASAP so that your cylinder rings expand quickly enough to prevent or minimize blowby. In this case, use the oil spec'd for your car and just drive away without warming up, but keep rpm below 2k for the first minute or so.

I'd even suggest going synthetic just because it gives you that added protection at start-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back