SSD Life

In the SSD beginnings i bought some Adata. It had short life. 😆 SLC didn't help much...

I bought OCZ SSD's. Indilinx/Sandforce lol.

Bit the bullet and went with an Intel X25-M 160GB. Got rid of my storage anxiety where I can install the OS and games on the same drive.

Still have the drive but unplugged and in storage. It had 4648 Power On Hours with 10TB of writes on top last time it was plugged in.

I bought OCZ SSD's. Indilinx/Sandforce lol.

Bit the bullet and went with an Intel X25-M 160GB. Got rid of my storage anxiety where I can install the OS and games on the same drive.

Still have the drive but unplugged and in storage. It had 4648 Power On Hours with 10TB of writes on top last time it was plugged in.

SanDisk bought out Pliant and LSI bought out Sandforce (which then went to Seagate). The strange thing about Intel is that they apparently used Sandforce controllers later on in consumer grade SSDs, but we’re doing in-house for their enterprise grade SSDs.

It always makes me wonder, that the SD card in my dash cam - which gets constant data writing since years now - never failed.
I expected it to replace it maybe once a year, but it still works after 4+ year.

Is it accurate to call a SSD a hard drive?? Because it seems like every retailer does. Are they just careless or think the buyer doesn't know?

Not really. Hard drives were always about a rigid (usually glass platter) surface as opposed to flexible (aka floppy) drives that were on a flexible plastic sheet.

Solid state means no moving parts per se.

They should be sold as "storage".

SSD Life​

Converted three computers to SSD. May their lives be >mine.

SSD.jpg

Is it accurate to call a SSD a hard drive?? Because it seems like every retailer does. Are they just careless or think the buyer doesn't know?
Bandaid
Kleenex
Velcro

etc.

common vernacular over time

plus like YPW said, hard drive was just to differentiate from floppy drives.

Bandaid
Kleenex
Velcro

etc.

common vernacular over time

plus like YPW said, hard drive was just to differentiate from floppy drives.

Hard drives as a technology predate floppies, but I understand that “hard drive” as a technical term was to differentiate since they were both disk drives.

Reactions: Y_K
Hard drives as a technology predate floppies, but I understand that “hard drive” as a technical term was to differentiate since they were both disk drives.
Yes, hard disk drives came out in 1956 whilst floppy disks came out in 1971....hence the need to call them different names. Lest people confuse them due to "disk" part or FDD, instead of HDD. When I said hard drive was to differentiate from floppy, I wasn't speaking chronologically.

It always makes me wonder, that the SD card in my dash cam - which gets constant data writing since years now - never failed.
I expected it to replace it maybe once a year, but it still works after 4+ year.

Really depends on the technology. Most likely it's NAND flash. Older single level cell (SLC) technology is rated for about 100,000 erase cycles, but there are a lot of variables that could make it vary. The other thing is that erase cycles are not as common as most people would think. Some SD cards employ wear leveling to attempt to distribute erase cycles evenly.

Really depends on the technology. Most likely it's NAND flash. Older single level cell (SLC) technology is rated for about 100,000 erase cycles, but there are a lot of variables that could make it vary. The other thing is that erase cycles are not as common as most people would think. Some SD cards employ wear leveling to attempt to distribute erase cycles evenly.
I think most SDHC and SDXC cards were MLC and the later ones were probably TLC, SLC was reserved for expensive cards sold for "Industrial" use, I don't think any card someone would be using in a dashcam would small enough to be from the era where SLC was common in consumer flash cards.

I've been having a problem with Outlook writing multiple GBs a day of log files despite my hours of research and fiddling with regedit to make sure logging is disabled. I have 40 TB written per CrystalDiskInfo with a health status that's gone down now to 88%. This is on a few years old 1 TB PNY CS3030 NVMe M.2 SSD. Even though the consensus is I should be fine, I'm about to blow away Outlook and try to start from scratch.

I think most SDHC and SDXC cards were MLC and the later ones were probably TLC, SLC was reserved for expensive cards sold for "Industrial" use, I don't think any card someone would be using in a dashcam would small enough to be from the era where SLC was common in consumer flash cards.

Depends on how old. I know the theoretical technology was around for decades, but when were these available in consumer applications? I bought my first SD card in 2004, and it would surprise me if they weren't SLC NAND.

Depends on how old. I know the theoretical technology was around for decades, but when were these available in consumer applications? I bought my first SD card in 2004, and it would surprise me if they weren't SLC NAND.
Sandisk started using MLC as early as 2002

I've been having a problem with Outlook writing multiple GBs a day of log files despite my hours of research and fiddling with regedit to make sure logging is disabled. I have 40 TB written per CrystalDiskInfo with a health status that's gone down now to 88%.
How do you tell how much Outlook is writting to log files? The SSD life in my laptop seems to get a lot of writes going on, and I'm wondering if something is always going on in the background causing undo writes. I'm not down loading any large files or installing programs, etc and the write amount seems higher than I'd think it should be.

Back