Square Gasket vs O-Ring Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems that Japanese filters favor the use of o-ring type (well, d-ring) gaskets, while American filters use square type.

I have never had a leak with a square type on my Toyotas, why an o-ring type then?

quote:

Originally posted by Jonny Z:
Seems that Japanese filters favor the use of o-ring type (well, d-ring) gaskets, while American filters use square type.

I have never had a leak with a square type on my Toyotas, why an o-ring type then?

They say that the o-rings seal better(I disagree), easier to get off (maybe) and the biggest reason.. To charge more.
grin.gif

And if they put a little grease on it and seal the end of the filter, $$$$$!
lol.gif

I've never had a problem with either type of filter. No leaks.
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I favor the square type to a certain degree due to being thicker and will compress more when I install hand tight and 1/4 turn. Last fall I installed a NIPPON filter on my wifes KIA sportage with the thinner "O Ring" type gasket. I did the usual hand tight 1/4 turn. A few week later into winter, the temps got into the 10's and the NIPPON gasket contracted enough to start a small drip and leave a quarter size stain on the driveway. Checked it and it took almost a full turn to reseat. Nothing really against the NIPPON filter but a one off observation. Still have six more to go though but will rotate back to Supertech when I am done.

Hootbro

Don't they say 3/4 turn past hand tight?
I use a cup wrench for that. Oily paws can't get past 1/2 turn.

quote:

Originally posted by Jonny Z:
Don't they say 3/4 turn past hand tight?
I use a cup wrench for that. Oily paws can't get past 1/2 turn.

Depends on the filter manufactuer. I have seen 1 full turn, 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 and even then I think it is based on when the gasket comes into contact with the base and not from handtight.

Hootbro

I've never had a problem with either type, either. I wonder, though, whether the "p"* ring might be at least theoretically less susceptible to collapse deformation leakage than the traditional square aspect gaskets. The "p"'s descender fitting under the filter base plate's retention flange also minimizes the rare prospect of the gasket not being properly installed and seated to the filter, too.

*What's the difference between a "p" and a "d"? (About 180 degrees
grin.gif
)

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
I've never had a problem with either type, either. I wonder, though, whether the "p"* ring might be at least theoretically less susceptible to collapse deformation leakage than the traditional square aspect gaskets. The "p"'s descender fitting under the filter base plate's retention flange also minimizes the rare prospect of the gasket not being properly installed and seated to the filter, too.

*What's the difference between a "p" and a "d"? (About 180 degrees
grin.gif
)

One's for a filter designed to be mounted on the left side of the engine and the other on the right....
grin.gif

Hootbro:

The tightening "specs" are based on thread engagement as well.

So a baseplate that is "flush" with the gasket will take less turns.

a retained oring is less liley to get stuck on the block on removal and if the installer is not paying attension lead to a double gasket and a hole in the side of the block you can put your fist through.

saw the results if this sinerio recenty, the owner kept driving despite the knocking and oil light figuring she would ask the husband when she got home what it all meant,the vehicle never make it home under its own power. last I heard the owner was going after the oil change places for the cost of the new engine.

quote:

Originally posted by RavenTai:
.......saw the results if this sinerio recenty, the owner kept driving despite the knocking and oil light figuring she would ask the husband when she got home what it all meant,the vehicle never make it home under its own power. last I heard the owner was going after the oil change places for the cost of the new engine.

Not to give the oil change place a free pass but I would be looking for another wife if my wife was this stupid of a retard. Who would he go after if it was no fault of anybody and the wife did the same action?

Hootbro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back