Springfield Is Bringing Back The Hi-Power

Too bad it's not made in .40 caliber.
Perhaps it will once production is up and running. But even then .40's don't sell well anymore. I've seen .40 cal Glock's sit for months in the case at my local gun shop. While the same gun in 9 MM only lasts a few days before it's gone. The .40 has enough of a following to keep it going. Much like the .41 Magnum. But it's best days are behind it sales wise.

I got the email from SA couple days ago announcing this. I’m actually very interested. I’ve got a late model FN DAO High Power model (can’t remember the exact name, but different mags, which are impossible to find, long story) because I’ve been an admirer of the High Power, and this looks like a good gun. Better, even, than the model I’ve got. All of the High Power features, with some updates. Compatible parts, even.

Forged frame and slide, hammer forged barrel, no MIM, tuned trigger, good price. The High Power was built around 9mm. I would prefer it stay that way. I’ve got a couple of .40s that were built as .40s. Great round, but adapting a 9mm to a .40 doesn’t always work out.

If I could find one of these SA-35s in stock, I would already have it.

I thoroughly enjoy the history behind the high power. Not my cup of tea but this looks like a winner for Springfield. Especially at the price point. I believe they will sell quite a few! I'm interested to see if the SA, modernized version will be void of some of the older high power issues. Specifically, the area of the extractor, if not clean easy to get FTE's. I have enough with collecting 1911's and Sig's I don't have any High Powers. Friends at my range have em. Aesthetically, I appreciate the look and the machining.

Tuned trigger, no magazine disconnect, cast parts, for $699? All indications are they did a great job with this. I really like how they kept the look of the old school hammer. I wonder if there are no MIM or some. I'm guessing some parts will be MIM. Other parts, like the extractor, probably are forged not cast. The ad isn't quite clear if ALL parts are forged or some. Interested to hear reviews as well.

I have had a BHP since 1972 . Way back when, it was nice with 13 rounds etc. But todays modern 9mms are much better.

......The High Power was built around 9mm. I would prefer it stay that way. I’ve got a couple of .40s that were built as .40s. Great round, but adapting a 9mm to a .40 doesn’t always work out.......

This is a point worth noting. .40's designed and built as such offer a much longer service life, than 9 MM frame guns that were simply converted. Both the Hi-Power and the Beretta 92 come to mind. While both are large framed 9 MM guns, both can suffer a higher degree of small parts breakage in .40 than in 9MM.

It was done because, well, it could be. And a lot of law enforcement guns are carried a lot, and shot very little. Compared to an enthusiast or competitor who runs up a big round count on their weapons.

I have 2, 75th Anniversary Hi-Power's. One with fixed sights, and the other with adjustable. I've always loved the platform. But I didn't want to run up a high round count on either because of them being limited production guns. So I ended up getting a Stainless Tisas Regent, (Turkish clone), from Brownell's a few years back. Just to have as a shooter.

It's been a good performer, with zero problems. And the workmanship is quite good overall. Also, a lot of parts interchange with the original Hi-Power. But when this Springfield Hi-Power becomes available, I think I'll spring for one. I like the fact they've left the magazine disconnect off it.

xbIhRNF.jpg

BDuYiyV.jpg

uczOosS.jpg

Hmmm, may have to buy another Hi Power. Even considered the Turkish made one when it came out. To me, the balance and grip of the HP just feel "right". It doesn't specifically say if it takes all Hi Power mags or if their new 15 rounder is somehow proprietary.

Hmmm, may have to buy another Hi Power. Even considered the Turkish made one when it came out. To me, the balance and grip of the HP just feel "right". It doesn't specifically say if it takes all Hi Power mags or if their new 15 rounder is somehow proprietary.
I recall reading that the High Power magazines are interchangeable with the SA-35. Another reason to like the SA-35.

The High Power magazines are not interchangeable with my BDM, sadly. I’ve been looking for magazines for quite a while, without success.

Last edited:
I have several Mec-Gar 15 round Hi-Power magazines that fit all 3 of my Hi-Power's. They run very reliably, and they're a lot cheaper than the original late model, 13 round Hi-Power mags with the "Springy Thingy" at the bottom to make them a positive drop free.

This is great news for Browning fans! If they come in at a reasonable street price I might get one, once it's confirmed there's no bugs to work out. Had one once and removed the horrible magazine disconnect, which also vastly improved the trigger pull. It was pried from my hands in a very favorable trade long ago. I sorta miss it. But I have others that keep me warm at night. We'll see how this delivers.

I recall reading that the High Power magazines are interchangeable with the SA-35. Another reason to like the SA-35.

The High Power magazines are not interchangeable with my BDA, sadly. I’ve been looking for magazines for quite a while, without success.

Astro you can try Greg Cote LLC. I've purchased a ton of mags from him. He's a one man band, but ships fast, and is reliable.

Thanks, Bill. I’ll give him a try.

It’s a BDM, actually.

I had to look. It’s new in the box, never fired. I like it, but it’s an orphan…

Back