Spring Assist Shocks?

Anyone have any comments about spring assisted shocks? I did see ACDelco does offer these for Silverado 1500 trucks. I tow a trailer that's only around 5,000 lbs and there is a slight un leveling towards the rear. Figured these might be fine while towing, but may make the ride harsh when unloaded. These are not coilovers per se but just like the name implies, spring assisted shocks. I have to admit I was not aware of these although I have probably seem them. They're pretty cheap at around $100 for a pair.

A link to the part.

Specialty; Spring Assist; Sold In Pairs

I had a pair of monroes shocks with the spring on a ranger. They didnt help sagging under load. But they did make it ride rough lol. If you are having sagging issues look into sumo springs.

I agree, for me Air shocks are the way to go on my Toyota PU.
I just give the system a shot of air if/when I am carrying a load. Bleed it back down when I unload.

Thanks I have the ability to move some of the hitch weight forward with the Andersen hitch I am using. I just liked the design of the coil overs but was not sure if they would be stiff.

The nice thing about the coilovers is they are probably adjustable. A drawback is they can make some noise.

I’ve had aux air bags and learned a few things. They must always have 5 psi in them to prevent collapse. The Firestone ride rite bags are about 4-5” diameter, and 5 psi in those in an unloaded bed is enough to break your teeth over speed bumps, or they were in my tundra TRD. 25psi in them with a 6000lb trailer was wonderful. There is another brand which is more like 2.5” diameter. They allowed the suspension to work more at the unloaded, 5 psi situation, while still providing lift under load, albeit at higher pressures. a friend of mine had a set and really liked them.

i tempered the ride rite bags by installing larger diameter pipe to an accumulator over the rear axle. When all that worked and it didn’t leak, it was great. Mine leaked some. I added onboard air, using a cheap compressor and valves off Amazon and a low psi boost gauge. When it worked, it was great. It leaked more, but I used it until we sold the truck. Again, simpler is better.

my recommendation - buy the kit with the smaller diameter bags and the onboard pump with in-dash gauge and set points.

also, No leveling kits.

also, anything you can fix with weight distributing hitch is far better than air bags. All that tongue weight unloads the front wheels and messes with steering and braking. If I could do it all over again, I would have avoided air bags altogether and improved the WDH.

m

Anyone have any comments about spring assisted shocks? I did see ACDelco does offer these for Silverado 1500 trucks. I tow a trailer that's only around 5,000 lbs and there is a slight un leveling towards the rear. Figured these might be fine while towing, but may make the ride harsh when unloaded. These are not coilovers per se but just like the name implies, spring assisted shocks. I have to admit I was not aware of these although I have probably seem them. They're pretty cheap at around $100 for a pair.

A link to the part.

Specialty; Spring Assist; Sold In Pairs

I tow about the same weight with my 2018 Silverado. You WD hitch is not adjusted properly of your have squat on the rear. More weight needs to go to the front of your truck. I tow with an Equalizer hitch with no suspension enhancements and it's perfectly level. Read your instructions and make the adjustments and save the $100.00.

Back