Spray Wax - What is the Point?

It absolutely is a sub for the real deal.

Why apply a traditional wax at all if you're just going to hit it with a spray wax every wash?
For some it might be a sub. But for those of us who apply it properly, a spray acts as a touch up as the real stuff naturally wears off but before needing reapplication.

For some it might be a sub. But for those of us who apply it properly, a spray acts as a touch up as the real stuff naturally wears off but before needing reapplication.
Are you suggesting that I don't know how to apply a wax?

If your paste wax wears off so quickly and you "touch it up" with a spray wax... Why not just use the spray wax?

If your paste wax wears off so quickly and you "touch it up" with a spray wax... Why not just use the spray wax?
Dude, I don't do internet arguments, so kindly change the tone.

You might not see benefit to spray wax, but that doesn't make it so. A base coat of good wax will wear off, and a quick touch up adds a layer of protection and shine. You might try it before snarkily attacking someone who actually has and has some actual experience.

Dude, I don't do internet arguments, so kindly change the tone.

You might not see benefit to spray wax, but that doesn't make it so. A base coat of good wax will wear off, and a quick touch up adds a layer of protection and shine. You might try it before snarkily attacking someone who actually has and has some actual experience.
You didn't answer my question.

Not every car is in it for protection either though. My Mustang is a toy that never sees rain or ugly conditions. It is garage kept and stored in winter. I only want supreme shine on that. I could give a rip about longevity as I wax it 3-4x a summer just for the enjoyment. Now my DDs get NanoSkin or TW SnS. Nothing is better for the $$$ and ease of application. Period.

Well, kinda see your point … I use spray wax to remove bugs in the hot summer = that makes them easier to get off next time. But if spray wax can do that … thinking it strips all or some of the primary wax.
My vehicles stay under roof and spray wax is good enough …

Not every car is in it for protection either though. My Mustang is a toy that never sees rain or ugly conditions. It is garage kept and stored in winter. I only want supreme shine on that. I could give a rip about longevity as I wax it 3-4x a summer just for the enjoyment. Now my DDs get NanoSkin or TW SnS. Nothing is better for the $$$ and ease of application. Period.
Appearance often takes precedence over durability on at least one vehicle for me.

I'm wondering if there was a time when liquid wax was the new thing, and greeted with similar skepticism by the paste wax adherents, and history is just repeating itself.

Hard to apply? I haven't tried the spray on/rinse off varieties, but for the spray on/wipe off waxes, no. Using too much, or in the wrong conditions can result in streaking, but the same could be said of other types of waxes.

Durability? I've found that Griot's 3/1 meets, if not beats 845, and it isn't even the most durable spray according to one test. It's also faster to apply, easier to touch up, pops more, can be applied to trim, won't build up/leave white crust in crevices, and in more severe duty (on wheels) doesn't fade as fast as 845.

As someone with declining enthusiasm, and wants to spend less time on detailing, and more on other things, there are no downsides, or reasons to go back.

I don't use spray waxes as my main line of defense. I use them to extend time between waxing. It is much easier using spray waxes on a well waxed car vs a car with no wax. I find that after I detail properly (clay bar, paint correction, polish and seal) and use spray wax after each car wash I almost never see a need to re-detail because the little bit of protection a spray wax leaves is enough to carry me thru a full year+ between full details. I actually only need to do a real detail to remove and fine swirls or other defects picked up because the protection is still there.

Some pray waxes can work very well, times have changed and while liquid wax/paste do work they are not exactly what they where 20 years ago. Most decent sealants these days are polymer based, offering more protection for longer, as well as SiO2. Both of which have more or less slowly moved into liquid/paste waxes/sealants.

The wax/sealant is more of a carrier these days, and in that respect spray waxes can preform the same exact job. Nothing wrong with liquid/paste wax, especially if you enjoy apply it, for many they enjoy the experience and find it relaxing, carnauba wax works well for what it is, but we can simply synthesis "better" options these days which offer longer protection.

Not all spray waxes are equal tho, and contrary to popular belief brands like Turtle Wax have turned around over the last handful of years. A cheap option is Seal 'N Shine, pick it up next time you are out and apply it to half a panel on your vehicle, than in a few months see which one remains on the panel in the long run (though water beading doesn't mean everything) but sealants, and SiO2 can really offer a lot these days and which ever method you choose to apply them it's more or less the same ingredients, the only difference is the carrier you use to apply them.

I use spray wax in door jambs and if I’m detailing underhood. Not anyplace exposed to the elements.

The spray on /wipe off approach is convenient.

Since my shoulder joint was replaced it is difficult but, not impossible, to do much rubbing. Has anyone used a orbiting buffer after applying Turtle wax ceramic coating? Ed

Since my shoulder joint was replaced it is difficult but, not impossible, to do much rubbing. Has anyone used a orbiting buffer after applying Turtle wax ceramic coating? Ed
Why don't you try a spray on - rinse off product?

I use NanoSkin Super Charger for my basic details. You just spray it over a wet panel and then immediately rinse. Instant protection. Just like McKee's HydroBlue.

Then I either towel dry or, more commonly, use a leaf blower.

Eddie ... First off I feel for you...

A shoulder surgery is tough....

If you can get a 3 and a 5 pound dumbell...

Take your operative shoulder and arm... Form a 90 degree angle from your elbow joint and your hand above your head with your have that 3 or 5 pound dumbell in your hand... Lower it until it is even with your upper arm and shoulder... Then raise it up and back forming that 90 degree angle. Do that slowly of course.. this exercise will help strengthen your shoulder and rotator cuff...

Even while at my strongest and I was able to military press 130 pounds over my head... Doing that low range of motion exercise the most I could do was about 20 pounds in each hand. It was a very tough yet good exercise for strengthening the shoulder and rotator cuff.

The left shoulder was replaced totally about 5 years ago and I do exercise it 3x times per week at the gym. I have one replaced and the right shoulder needs replacing. My original question is does anyone see a problem if I use an electric orbital buffer with a soft pad to finish TW Hybrid Ceramic coating? Ed

I don't think using a orbital buffer would be an issue... Using the TW hydrid ceramic spray. You may still need to dry it in spots here or there after using the buffer. Which would require practically zero effort or pressure on your shoulder. It would be extremely easy and not hard on your shoulders.

And if it did not need to be dried off... And just using the buffer... It would be fine I'd bet. And easy too.

I agree with others on the TW Ice Seal N Shine. The stuff is amazing in it's durability. It's already become legendary with many detailers. It's a little less forgiving on dark vehicles as far as removal as it's easy to over apply. A chemical is a chemical whether it's spray or not doesn't matter. The same way a liquid wax can be better than a paste wax, a spray sealant can be better than a liquid. Prep is the key for any good and/or lasting results. I spend way more time prepping the paint than I have to spend protecting it. I usually use a carnuba spray, currently Griot's, after washes for shine/depth and because I enjoy cleaning my vehicles.

The left shoulder was replaced totally about 5 years ago and I do exercise it 3x times per week at the gym. I have one replaced and the right shoulder needs replacing. My original question is does anyone see a problem if I use an electric orbital buffer with a soft pad to finish TW Hybrid Ceramic coating? Ed
You would probably be buffing dry paint. These sprays evaporate and/or dry very quickly.

Back