Spray Wax - What is the Point?

When I buy a vehicle, it gets paint correction first. Waxes of any kind need a clean, even surface to ensure adhesion. Even after a thorough washing, you should see buffing pad when I get done with paint correction. It's brown. After correction, I lay down a coat of something, usually, Meguiars Ultimate paste. From there, every wash includes a maintenance coat of spray sealer, applied during the drying process. Right now I'm using Beadmaker, and my cars never stop beading water. I don't use sprays as the last line of defense, because they're not built to last. I use them to enhance the durability of the initial coat of wax.

I used Turtle Wax Seal and Shine on the Jetta last night. It’s an excellent product and produces wonderful results.
74707188-8382-44ED-AD7D-D7F7E3C22D9F.jpeg

I got to thinking about this post after realizing why both of my cars are staying so clean this winter. Usually, as we go through our warming freezing spells, the wet roads turn my cars salty white (one is silver and one is dark green). It wasn’t until last night it hit me, when I looked at my dark green Rouge after driving home in a snowstorm, and it was nearly spotless.

I switched to Meguires Hybrid Ceramic spray wax (blue stuff in a bottle). I don’t think the salty water is sticking to the cars anymore!

That is worth it to me.

Gravel dust still sticks, but nothing else seems too!

Been watching many video reviews of various spray products. Am especially interested in Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax since I use Ultimate Liquid Wax. Seems to me that all of these products are difficult to apply and do not last very long. Meguiars hybrid ceramic looks easy but you wash most of the product away. Laying down the base coat looks like hard work and no one agrees on how to apply it. Since the benefits last only a few weeks, why bother? It is so easy to apply/remove Ultimate Liquid Wax, why bother with the spray stuff?
Spray wax is liquid wax in a spray bottle.

Dmitry's Garage has excellent videos and ratings on waxes. Highly rated spray waxes last for about a couple of dozen or more washes.

Last edited:
Correction: It's called Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine.

That's what I'm using, too. It's fairly easy to apply, supposedly lasts for 21 washes, and available at Walmart. That's a nice color choice on the car.
Thanks, it looks even better in the sun! Did Turtle Wax make that statement about 21 washes? It may still bead water after 21 washes but I highly doubt any UV protection is left at that point. Ours get a new coat after every wash so they won't find out.

21 washes is according to Dmitry's Garage.
Impressive! Also, nice channel. I'll have to watch some of his other videos. The Turtle Wax did was quite impressive in that wash test compared to other offerings, however in real life in between those washes most cars are exposed to the sun, rain and other elements that will quickly degrade the product. Unlikely it will have any significant protection after a couple of weeks of living and outdoor life paired with regular washes.

Again, I feel it is at the top of the pack when compared to other spray waxes which is why I use it myself. Great product!

Impressive! Also, nice channel. I'll have to watch some of his other videos. The Turtle Wax did was quite impressive in that wash test compared to other offerings, however in real life in between those washes most cars are exposed to the sun, rain and other elements that will quickly degrade the product. Unlikely it will have any significant protection after a couple of weeks of living and outdoor life paired with regular washes.

Again, I feel it is at the top of the pack when compared to other spray waxes which is why I use it myself. Great product!
Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine is a great product indeed—cheap at Walmart, easy-to-use, and long-lasting! I will also apply it on the plastic, rubber, and glass areas next time I wash my car. We need to protect those areas from the elements as well.

Not sure how it's possible for spray waxes to beat modern liquid waxes like Meguiars ULW in protection, durability and shine?
The above is compromised for convenience and speed.

Last edited:
Not sure how it's possible for spray waxes to beat modern liquid waxes like Meguiars ULW in protection, durability and shine?
The above is compromised for convenience and speed.
It isn't possible. People use the spray waxes for convenience...I have yet to use a spray wax that lasts as long as a liquid or a paste wax...

I am REALLY old school.... I make my own spray wax..... I have found some decent liquid wax and put a small amount of it in a spray bottle with hot water and shake the heck out of it.... I now am a convert of the Nu Finish wax as well.... and now when I wash any of my vehicles, I dry them intially with a chamois... but they are still damp... I then spray on a layer of the home made spray wax and wipe down the vehicle with clean towels and micro fiber towels...... The results are spectacular... sure... it takes longer but ..... well.. you know....

The same technological enhancements also apply to liquid waxes.

Yes but a spray wax can be applied quicker. This is the key. If you wash your car on a monthly schedule for example the extra ten minutes to apply the spray wax will keep the car looking great. With a paste or liquid wax the application takes longer.

On my car I applied Griots 3 in 1 Ceramic Spray wax in November. It is still holding up very well despite being outside in varying temperatures and a whole lot of rain. I washed it about four weeks ago during a break in the weather. Water still beads and sheets off.

Spray wax isn't necessarily a sub for the real deal. In between waxes after a wash, or when you get splattered by stuff, it works great.

Spray wax isn't necessarily a sub for the real deal. In between waxes after a wash, or when you get splattered by stuff, it works great.
It absolutely is a sub for the real deal.

Why apply a traditional wax at all if you're just going to hit it with a spray wax every wash?

I'm thinking spray wax IS the real deal now. Have a look on Youtube. Numerous detail channels do torture tests on various spray wax finishes. These new concoctions resist pretty much every chemical you can throw at them. Granted they are short term tests, but these products shouldn't be undervalued in performance.

Back