Spray Wax - What is the Point?

I use TW Wax & Dry. For an entry-level product, it works surprisingly well. Goes on easy as I'm drying the car and leaves behind no residue. My cars are parked outside and they bead water for months. I don't even bother with regular wax anymore.

Exactly right in my opinion ^^^^^^^

I like Griot's spray wax too... And it smells awesome.

I guess I'm still old school. I still do my vehicles with either Collinite 845 or 476S. I apply it twice a year and my vehicles bead water all year long....

You ain't old school... You are just old ...

:LOL:

Just messing with you man.

Polished and waxed a 2500 4x4 truck yesterday, and when I say waxed it, I mean I waxed ALL of it. And I am glad to have had spray waxes at my disposal. I used pastes and liquids too, but the spray waxes made the whole thing easier to accomplish.

- Dodo Juice Rooster Juice carnauba paste on the hood and vertical painted body panels.

Applied and removed with machine power.

- Meguiars AIO liquid wax on the top of the cab and inside of the bed.

Applied with machine power, it was NOT removed, it was left on to be worn off by rain and the wear/tear of driving it.

- Griots Garage 3n1 Ceramic spray wax sprayed onto all the plasti-dipped body panels (lower black portion of truck all the way around) as well as all the exterior black plastic trim.

It was applied by hand and lightly buffed with machine power.

- Surf City Garage Barrier Reef carnauba spray wax applied to all glass, chrome (wheels and grill), and the whole ranch hand hanging off the front.

Applied by hand; removed by hand, except from the ranch hand, no way to really remove it from that thing anyway.

I am glad I had the spray waxes, they served their role for me quite well!
8F24E483-7393-45C2-AA51-A19CDCE7DC3A.jpeg
DE0A9E12-F66F-4BCC-83A4-6AAAE6BCF193.jpeg
A42DF21D-09A6-4968-9547-D1E13F08D534.jpeg
2DFF3CD8-89AE-4D47-86E9-EAA62825E0DD.jpeg

Have had my ride since it was new just over 7 years ago. Due to health issues I've been able to give it a 'proper' waxing just once in that timeframe. Yes I could've paid to have it thoroughly detailed, but IMBHO that's a waste of $ for what it is. What I've found to be fantastic at keeping it looking great is Slick Mist and have always applied it every time I washed it, which realistically is only every 2.5-3 months (because of health). When I did apply a quality liquid wax the one time I also used a clay bar beforehand. I will do a clay bar/liquid wax again before long, but will honestly say the Slick Mist applications have kept things in great shape from my perspective. Goes on unbelievably quick/easy, removes all sorts of things that washing alone usually won't and I also use it on all glass, mirrors, weatherstripping, wiper blades, etc. Also bought the interior detailer from Lucas and it does an excellent job as well.

I took a clay bar to my 13yr old Honda Accord V6/MT coupe, then machine compounded, followed by Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic polish and then two coats of their Ceramic Spray Coating. Since then I have been using Hybrid Ceramic Wet Wax after every wash to maintain the protection. I'm hoping I don't need to polish again for at least a year. Products are all super easy to use.

IMG_2542.jpg

The days when a typical spray wax offered a week or two of protection are over.

I’ve gotten to the l point where I won’t bother with liquid wax, let alone paste wax. I can spritz the car with wax, buff it off and I have four months of beading like a good quality liquid wax. If anything, buildup caused by premature reapplication is the main problem.

I use spray wax to remove bugs from front end … then it leaves a bit of nonstickism …

depends on what type of spray wax you are referring to. why use carnauba liquid/paste wax if a sio2 spray wax offer the same gloss, protection, and if not more durability in half the amount of time? Meg’s quik wax is only good as a booster between wax jobs. I would never use it as stand alone protection. I have used a few spray waxes to shine up a car for the weekend but nothing more.

Paste/liquid wax is almost obsolete these days considering all of the ceramic/sio2 spray waxes available. Only reason I still use liquid wax is because nothing can match carnauba’s depth. Once I use up my stash of waxes I will convert fully to a ceramic spray waxes

Last edited:
I took a clay bar to my 13yr old Honda Accord V6/MT coupe, then machine compounded, followed by Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic polish and then two coats of their Ceramic Spray Coating. Since then I have been using Hybrid Ceramic Wet Wax after every wash to maintain the protection. I'm hoping I don't need to polish again for at least a year. Products are all super easy to use.

View attachment 34744

That looks amazing!

This is a question for all of those who have switched to spray waxes. How are you guys cleaning and prepping the paint? I’m genuinely curious because I still use an AIO cleaner wax to clean the paint and remove light bonded contaminates in the process.

This is a question for all of those who have switched to spray waxes. How are you guys cleaning and prepping the paint? I’m genuinely curious because I still use an AIO cleaner wax to clean the paint and remove light bonded contaminates in the process.
I just wash the car, spray the wax on and as i dry it applies. I don't strip any old wax layer off. It has never been an issue with how the sun beats down on the paint down here.

To me, if doesn't require some elbow grease to apply and remove, I do not believe it is a very durable product. I only use paste wax or sealant.
I tend to agree. I used the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax a few times and wasn't impressed at all. It's OK for a quick job, not very long lasting though. I'd rather spend the extra time and use Powerlock.

Well there's the car wash. I don't bother to clay. If there's any bad spots I use quick detailer to clean it off. TW Hybrid ceramic wax is easy to put on, just have to remember to just use a little of it. Sometimes a second car wash a few days later to do the 2nd coat. (The 2nd wash is free within 4 days at the local car wash).

I've switched to spray stuff (TWISNS) on our daily drivers. I prep with TW pure polish or Mothers paint cleaner with my Porter Cable orbital and 5" polishing pad.

On my summer toy (Mustang) I just hand wax with Megs #26.

Spray wax is all I use, but it's not really a wax. Many paste and liquid waxes are petroleum distillates. This is why most car soaps are pH neutral, so they don't disintegrate car waxes, but they also don't clean the vehicle very well. All the road film, grease, and oil is stuck to the clear coat, then a pH neutral soap is used that doesn't clean it, then a wax is added. Not a good deal at all. Use a high pH soap like Purple Power, then a good spray wax like Turtle Wax Ice or Griots, or whatever you want. Vehicle will always be 100% decontaminated and 100% waxed.

Spray wax is all I use, but it's not really a wax. Many paste and liquid waxes are petroleum distillates. This is why most car soaps are pH neutral, so they don't disintegrate car waxes, but they also don't clean the vehicle very well. All the road film, grease, and oil is stuck to the clear coat, then a pH neutral soap is used that doesn't clean it, then a wax is added. Not a good deal at all. Use a high pH soap like Purple Power, then a good spray wax like Turtle Wax Ice or Griots, or whatever you want. Vehicle will always be 100% decontaminated and 100% waxed.

Jax wax does have carnauba content in it's Hawaiian shine. That's what I use and it does leave a nice glow.

Been watching many video reviews of various spray products. Am especially interested in Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax since I use Ultimate Liquid Wax. Seems to me that all of these products are difficult to apply and do not last very long. Meguiars hybrid ceramic looks easy but you wash most of the product away. Laying down the base coat looks like hard work and no one agrees on how to apply it. Since the benefits last only a few weeks, why bother? It is so easy to apply/remove Ultimate Liquid Wax, why bother with the spray stuff?
Agree, there is no denying and no short cut, as far as I am concerned for applying a stable long lasting wax/protectant to the paint.
Many of these you tube "reviews" still try to have spray on "wax" outlast a decades old product like NuFinish. No main stream spray on products can.
But we all know NuFinish is not a plastic friendly polish/wax.
So Turtle Wax Paste Ice steps up to the plate as well as Meguires Ultimate Liquid Wax both can be applied to black plastic ... which by the way I am testing on the roof of my Traverse 1/2 and 1/2 of the roof to see which one lasts longer. Applied back in Early Nov. Both look equally the same right now.
Also have NuFinish on the hood of my wifes car and Ultimate Liquid on the Roof.

My first impression is I liked how the Turtle Wax Ice paste applied and came off, though the Mequires seemed to go on more easy it required a bit more rubbing to come off without looking blotchy. Either way I am very happy with them both, I just felt like the Turtle Wax was more substantial and defiantly required more effort to rub on as it is a hard paste wax but that made me feel like I was using something substantial.

As a side note, I still do have Turtle Wax "Spray and Wax" on the sides of the truck applied some time ago, still seems like there is a little protection left but did not last on the roof and hoods of both vehicles and will be using a paste or liquid wax in the spring and still hold on to the spray stuff for any tricky areas or touch ups or whatever. *L*

Back