spoke with a Schaeffer's rep yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm in a pest control store yesterday buying some Talstar for ant and mole cricket prevention. Look over at the guy on the next aisle and notice his shirt says Shaeffers Racing oil and lubricants.
We start small talk about oil and I tell him I enjoy reading and studying different oils, there ability to protect, what their base is, etc.
To make a long story short, I told him I drive a 2006 Powerstroke and I'm considering ordering some of thier 7000 or 9000 product line for it.
He replied no need to order it, that I could go right down the road and order it from a local supplier, whom I didn't even know existed.
He asked me what type of oil I am using in my PSD and I told him Motorcraft 15w-40. He replied "Me too. I'm not telling you NOT to buy Schaeffer's, but the MC 15w-40 if what's recommended and spec'd for the PSD, so save your money and keep using the MC."
He also stated I may get some blow by and some consumption with the Schaeffer's due to its PAO base.

I think I'll continue with my MC 15w-40 and continue to sleep well.
This is by NO MEANS a shot at Schaeffers. This man states he's been with Schaeffers for the last 13 yrs.

I don't see why you would have a problem with blow by and some consumption with the Schaeffer's,there PAO cant be that high?

we run TDT and Delvac 5w40 without issues in the Dmxs..

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Blow-by because of a (partial) pao base??!?

Huh?

Maybe he wasn't a rep?,just a dude with a free t-shirt.
LOL.gif

It could also be the guy was being honest, and trying to save the OP some coin. Schaeffers makes great oil, maybe in this particular application the MC oil is just fine?

AD

Quote:

It could also be the guy was being honest, and trying to save the OP some coin. Schaeffers makes great oil, maybe in this particular application the MC oil is just fine?

Fair interpretation....

Hard to beat the price of Motorcraft 15W-40 at walmart for 2.40/qt when purchased in 5 qt jug. Schaeffers 15W-40 blend will run 4.25 to 5.00/qt when purchased by the gallon, but can be safely run at least twice as long and is a better oil overall, IMO. I don't agree with the guy with the Schaeffers shirt. He definitely was not a rep. with any experience.

If he were a rep he would not take a chance on losing his job by promoting another brand instead of the one that writes his paycheck. You never know who you are talking to. I could be off base. We had 2 F250 Powerstrokes and never had a problem with Schaeffers.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Why didn't you ask for his card?

I've got it in my wallet.
Fella said he moved here 13 yrs ago to start working for the company.
Maybe it was the company he works for that he stated he has been with for 13 yrs, but Schaeffers is definitely one of the oils he sells here locally in Baton Rouge.
I forget the price he quoted me on a case, but a case was the minimal order amount.
He was an extremely kind elderly gentleman. I reckon in his 60's and I don't believe he was just wearing the shirt. He was way too knowledgeable about the oil.

He claimed the valves sometimes don't seat fully with the "slipperyness or thin-ness" of the PAO based Schaeffers and thus would lead to consumption and blow by.

The only other oil sold at his place of employment was Castrol, so maybe I incorrectly quoted him as a Schaeffers rep.

Sounds like you spoke with one of their dealers/distributors, not a sales representative. He also gave you some bogus information. I have used Schaeffer's engine oil in a wide variety of equipment (some over 8000 engine hours when first switched to Schaeffer's) and never experienced what he described.

The only way switching to an oil like Schaeffer's would increase your oil consumption or blow by is if the ring packs were loaded with deposits in the first place. In that case, the high detergency of the new oil will clean the rings and consumption will increase. Assuming the engine is otherwise mechanically sound, the oil consumption should level off and you will end up with a better running engine.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Blow-by because of a (partial) pao base??!?

Huh?

Maybe he wasn't a rep?,just a dude with a free t-shirt.
LOL.gif

....who worked for Ford that took the free shirt when the Schaeffer's rep passed through....
LOL.gif

Quote:
He claimed the valves sometimes don't seat fully with the "slipperyness or thin-ness" of the PAO based Schaeffers and thus would lead to consumption and blow by.
This is just goofy. In the first place, blow-by is combustion gases blowing by the piston rings, not the valves. In the second place, slipperyness or thin-ness has nothing to do with PAO nor with the consumption problem.

The word I got from Schaeffer headquarters is that in a small percentage of engines, maybe 3%, the new chemistry in the Schaeffer oil would causes increased oil consumption for one to three oil drain intervals. That was the only reason I was given...different chemistry...and that it always goes away after time. I haven't seen it, but I've heard about it from trusted sources. As long as the operator checks the oil regularly and tops up as needed for this relatively short time, everything is fine. After that, no added consumption and double to triple the oil life with reduced engine wear and excellent analysis reports. Expect the combined cost of oil, filters, labor, and engine wear to be significantly lower with either the Schaeffer 7000 syn blend or 9000 full syn than when using ordinary oil, including the Motorcraft-labeled Conoco/Phillips syn blend oil.

Originally Posted By: SkyPup
Slippery oils don't let valves seat fully?
That is simply hilarious.

ALL oil's are slippery. [censored]
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Why didn't you ask for his card?

I've got it in my wallet.
Fella said he moved here 13 yrs ago to start working for the company.
Maybe it was the company he works for that he stated he has been with for 13 yrs, but Schaeffers is definitely one of the oils he sells here locally in Baton Rouge.
I forget the price he quoted me on a case, but a case was the minimal order amount.
He was an extremely kind elderly gentleman. I reckon in his 60's and I don't believe he was just wearing the shirt. He was way too knowledgeable about the oil.

The only other oil sold at his place of employment was Castrol, so maybe I incorrectly quoted him as a Schaeffers rep.

Oil has little to no affect on the valves SEALING. The engine oil only lubricates the valve stems and very little oil actually gets to the valve face and valve seat areas.

Further, even if the valve seal was poor you would NOT get any additional blow-by. You would get low compression and intake contamination from reversion due to poor intake valve seal. Blow-by is caused by a ring seal issue and has nothing to do with the valves. Blow-by is combustion gases that are blown by the piston rings into the crankcase where they consequently pick up some oil vapour and are discharged out of the crank case breather.

I have also never personally seen Schaeffer's cause the issue this rep is claiming and I run Schaeffer's in quite a few powerstrokes of all vintages, as well as many other engines depending on what the customer/fleet wants.

The MC 15w40 is decent oil, but Schaeffers is every bit as good, if not better and will cause NO trouble in a PowerStroke, Cummins, Duramax or any pickup truck diesel new or old so long as the engine is in good shape.

I don't disagree with any of the information you guys have put on here at all.

If anything, I'd like to find a premium oil to run in my 2006 PSD and change it once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back