Split rims on old trucks and trailers

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's two types that I've seen.

First, there's the bolt together half rims but I've never worked on them. If you don't know what you're doing and undo all the bolts you can find in order to remove a tire from a vehicle you could have the outer half take off your head while you're bent down beside the wheel. They could be rusted together and not lose air until you've got all the bolts off.

Second, the multi piece wheels with a locking ring. I only worked on one of these and was scared enough to never touch another. These things will also rust together and will end up being tough to put back together. You use the air pressure in the tire to hold the ring in place but if it slips it'll take off in a hurry. If you're trying to hold the ring in place you'll definately want a wheel cage but you'll still be messed up.

Third, the wedge type wheel holders. Not part of the rim but still very dangerous. You need to undo the wheel nuts half way out or so and then strike the wheel with a sledge. The wedges will take off like rockets if you don't leave the nuts on to catch them.

There's quite a bit of dangerous stuff (energy stored in springs, air, hydraulics, etc.) on trucks so it isn't wise to "learn as you go" when working on them.

Steve

I have worked on all three types of wheels up to to the size on graders . The two piece rim is the safest to take apart ,Just let all the air out of the tire before taking it off of what ever it is bolted on. The split rim gets better with experience they are dangerous .I wouldn't recommend learning the procedure on your own. Then there is a 2 part rim which is not common I did one of them and I was kinda nervous. The wedge kind of wheel alot of people call them east coast wheels? Are real easy to do just watch a pro do them one time . All tire work is dangerous if done without care.

[ September 19, 2005, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

The safe way to work on them is when they are enclosed in an OSHA-approved welded steel-pipe cage built for that purpose.

That always kept me plenty far away from them during service. I drove them trucks and was always willing to learn about maintenance and repair. But when it concerned either high pressure hydraulics or tires, well, I could always just read about it.

2 years ago there was a farmer that was killed by trying to change a split rim tire in a town near where I live, so yes it is dangerous. He didn't have a cage or anything. I suppose he did it that way for years and the odds finally caught up with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back