Split rail fence - post depth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the instructions for installing split rail fence posts seem to indicate a burial depth of 24-30". This is not below the frost line in my area, which I believe is 42".
so, how deep to bury?
800' of fence to install.

Ask Abe!
grin.gif

Seriously, I lived in WI and installed fencing. No way did we go down that deep.

What material?

Last edited:
I just rebuilt our split rail fence. I went 36 inches deep. Also too, FWIW, I always backfill the holes with decomposed granite. I wet the granite and pack the heck out of it. I have a 6 or 7 year old fence that's as tight now as the day I built it.

Scott

Years ago an uncle of mine was installing post that were going to hold up steps to he back porch. His house was in upstate NY Rochester area. He asked me what I thought of installing post in holes that might not be deep enough to be below the frost line. I told him that water expanding into ice can have forces equal to that of a hydraulic jack. He said he knew how powerful a hydraulic jack can be and made the holes deeper than the frost line.

thank you all! I had actually seen the advice to use stone (with sharp edges, not rounded) rather than cement. It makes alot of sense. what I had not previously seen was the advice to taper the hole. that will be fun!
I am torn between using cedar or using pine that is AC2 treated. Ok, I am leaning towards the AC2, because I like the "finished look" a little more.
of course, we are hoping to get 20 years out of the fence with minimal post and rail replacement. not sure if that is reasonable.

estimating the amount of stone to order: I suppose I will calculate the volume of the hole and subtract the estimated volume of the post. there could be a significant error factor, considering 80 posts.

Last edited:
i have done a few in the past usually dug down 36 inches the fences never seemed to move at all I did use crushed gravel in the bottom then around the sides one fence that we did is still standing 15 years later

This is BITOG!. Go big or go home, do it right. Put them 5 or 6 feet deep just to make sure. Cheap insurance, and all of that line of thinking.

Originally Posted by tomcat27
Most of the instructions for installing split rail fence posts seem to indicate a burial depth of 24-30". This is not below the frost line in my area, which I believe is 42".
so, how deep to bury?
800' of fence to install.

I would go between 24 and 30.

Originally Posted by Donald
How are you digging the holes?

I intend to use a power auger. not sure how to taper the holes that way, unless I touch them up with a manual post hole digger.
I dont yet know the soil type (clay, soft, sandy) because we are in the process of purchasing and last time we saw it, there was snow on the ground

also not sure if its best to rent an auger, or buy a cheap one. it may depend on the soil type. I will know more in two weeks.
Previously we dug 35 holes for each of two different decks that we built. but 800' of fence will require approx 80 holes, although not as deep - apparently

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
How are you digging the holes?

I intend to use a power auger. not sure how to taper the holes that way, unless I touch them up with a manual post hole digger.
I dont yet know the soil type (clay, soft, sandy) because we are in the process of purchasing and last time we saw it, there was snow on the ground

also not sure if its best to rent an auger, or buy a cheap one. it may depend on the soil type. I will know more in two weeks.
Previously we dug 35 holes for each of two different decks that we built. but 800' of fence will require approx 80 holes, although not as deep - apparently

Do yourself a favour and rent a big one, like you tow behind your vehicle, so much easier than the 2 man ice auger ones.

Isn't frost line specs for foundations and footings where heaving would cause damage? If a post rises a few millimeters during a hard freeze, it won't affect the integrity of the fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back