Spin-on transmission filter alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it turns out that my moms car (2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean, H6 3.0) uses a spin-on transmission filter. It uses the same M20x1.5 threads that the engine oil filter uses, and is similar in size, but costs many times more. Is there something special about a transmission filter that makes them work differently than an engine oil filter? Do the transmission filters have different micron ratings? Is the flow reversed? Do they not have a bypass valve in them, or perhaps a bypass valve with a different relief pressure? Why couldn't I just use an engine oil filter on it?

I'm ordering some Purolator PureONE PL14459 oil filters for her car, and if it's safe to do so, would prefer to use one of those instead of the expensive spin-on transmission filter.

The Purolator site also shows two different in-line magnetic Magnefine type filters available for this car. http://www.pureoil.com/smartlink/?partnum=P1319 and http://www.pureoil.com/smartlink/?partnum=P1320

The spin-on AT filter on my Forester was a heaver constructed filter without a drain back valve. I believe it is located in the high pressure side of the Hydraulic system. I would not substitute a standard engine filter without throughly understanding where the filter is located in the hydraulic system. My Foresters recommendation was that there is no filter change required unless the transmission has issues or the filter was damaged. I changed out my filter at 100,000+miles and cut it opened ans inspected the filter element. The filter was clean without any visible crud. Be carefully. JMO

Amsoil does make some Transmission spin-on filters in their EAO line IIRC. I would never suggest a standard engine oil filter for use with a Transmission.

Right on StevieC. I remember some Subaru owners were trying to substitute engine filters and were constantly blaming the filter because of leaks. AT transmissions have a high pressure circuit that operates at several hundred pounds pressure. Didn't know Amsoil made AT filters-good to know. Thanks StevieC. Ed

I think they only make 3 different kinds of Transmission filters which have superior flow and are applicable to pretty much any transmission application. the 3 different types are because of the thread size differences... This was a while ago IIRC pretty sure they still do that...

I know of no EAO trans spin on filters and I have every EAO filter number sitting right here on my shelf.

DO NOT PUT AN ENGINE OIL FILTER ON A TRANSMISSION, they are not made the same.

I just checked the Amsoil Online Application guide and I'm sorry it wasn't an EAO, it was a Wix. I could have sworn their was an Amsoil one listed... Sorry about the confusion.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
I know of no EAO trans spin on filters and I have every EAO filter number sitting right here on my shelf.

DO NOT PUT AN ENGINE OIL FILTER ON A TRANSMISSION, they are not made the same.

Why is Wix recommending an engine oil filter for the application, then?

Look at my second post in this thread. It came up as the recommended transmission filter for her car. It's the same part number and description as the engine oil filter for the 2.5 liter model of the car.

Well...

I have a aftermaket spin on transmission filter kit (Summit) that uses a std. Fram PH8A engine oil filter(or equivalent). I have one on my '04 Chev Suburban (lots of towing) and my hot rod big block Chevelle. Oil stays clean and no issues to report.

My .02

It says 300psi burst pressure, which should be significantly above what the transmission will send to it.

I was thinking about getting the corresponding Purolator PureONE, but the Wix may be built better. I can't find burst pressure info for the Purolator, and the fact that they have a dedicated transmission filter indicates that their cans may not be up to the task.

Send WIX an e-mail. They make a heck of a filter and stand behind their products... I would imagine that they have checked it out before allowing it to be sold with the specification in mind
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Why couldn't I just use an engine oil filter on it?

The Purolator filter for this is a P1285.

Purolator provides no specs for it.

Around my parts it regularly sells for under $5.

Wix lists the 51365 for it, and that filter is an engine oil filter. It uses paper media, is 2.577 high, 2.685 OD, with 20X1.5 mm threads, a bypass valve set at 8-11 psi, and with an anti-drain back valve.

Rock Auto has them for under $6.

Going the other directin the 51365 crosses into Purolator as a L14622, which has no Pure One version.

So, apparently you can use an automotive filter as long as there is adequate space for whatever it is you pick.

Originally Posted By: beechcraftted
Well...

I have a aftermaket spin on transmission filter kit (Summit) that uses a std. Fram PH8A engine oil filter(or equivalent). I have one on my '04 Chev Suburban (lots of towing) and my hot rod big block Chevelle. Oil stays clean and no issues to report.

My .02

I have had the same kit on my 97 suburban for 5 years, no issues, still shifts like new, oil still stays bright red up until I do the bi-annual 1/2 capacity ATF oil drain/refil. I mounted mine right below the radiator fan so it sees cooling too.

Last edited:
I don't think some people realize external tranmission pressure per cooler lines are no where near as high as internal pressures. Typical operating pressure of a 4l60e transmission in the cooler lines is 17-25psi. I haven't measured the 92 legacy of mine, but from observing flow rate doing a cooler line flush it isn't much higher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back