Spent $450 on a newer set of tires and wheels - 2000 Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I threatened to do in an earlier thread... I upgraded the tires and wheels on my 2000 GMC Sierra as well. I bought a newer set of 18" tires and wheels for my 2004 Silverado in November, and couldn't believe the difference that it made. It literally woke that old truck up.

On this 2000 Sierra, the clearcoat on the original 16" rims had failed in large places, and two of the tires were nearly worn out (due to a lack of rotation... which was my own [censored] fault). So, I yet again made the decision to upgrade... if I spent less than what it would take to put new tires on the old rims.

These are 17" wheels (which were stock on a 2016 Sierra SLE). The tires and wheels were only used for 5,000 miles before being removed, so the General Grabber HTS tires still have 10/32" of tread on them (they have 11/32" when new). They are very quiet and have a nice ride... firm, but with enough 'give' to be comfortable.

Paid $450 for this set... but to finish the set off, I also had to buy a set of used OEM stainless steel lug nuts off of eBay for $35 delivered. So, I'm still under $500 for the set.

I'm not as big of a fan of these as the set that I put on my Silverado, but I like these as well. The price couldn't be beat, and the tires and wheels are the same as new.

Also interested to see how these tires perform over time. Like the General Altimax RT43's, these Grabbers are also known as a budget favorite for good all-around performance.

IMG_20181212_160016211.jpg

Mine is due for new tires based on age. The Toyo's are almost 13 years old but still have tons of tread left. I'm worried about the rubber deteriorating so time to get a new set. Best picture I have with the rims and tires.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Looks good, it's time to lose the running boards and that tacky chrome wheel well trim.

Looks darn good. I can tell you look after that truck!

Looks good, it's time to lose the running boards and that tacky chrome wheel well trim.

Looks darn good. I can tell you look after that truck!

Those newer wheels look good on the GMT800s, I have to say GM did a good job with the design of their older trucks, the GMT400/800 trucks still look great(if well maintained) to this day.

Looks great!

I'm in the process of upgrading the wheels and tires on my 95 Silverado. Have a brand news set of 285/70r17 all terrains on the way and browsing Craigslist for a set of used 17x8 wheels off a newer Silverado. Might have to do a torsion bar leveling kit or small lift to make em fit but I got the tires for free so it's cool.

Wheels and tires make a huge difference!

Last edited:
They look good. I always tell people to check out the different online sources for take off wheels when they come in looking for replacements. You can usually score a set with tires for less than one new OEM wheel costs.

Looks good. Let us know how you like the tires... esp in the snow. I've had mixed results with Generals. It's nice that GM has not changed the lug pattern.

Got to disagree here, I wish my GMC had body molding and wheel arch chrome-especially on a 4WD. Cuts WAY down on door dings & damage from thrown gravel, etc. Those are really nice looking Sierras!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back