Speedway Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the email response I received from Speedway when I asked about their Top Tier status/plans. This was some time ago.

This is an acknowledgement of your E-mail. Speedway's primary fuel supplier is Marathon Petroleum Corporation. Marathon's fuel fully meets industry standards. At this point Marathon has no plans to become a top tier supplier. One of the primary reasons is that there is no proof that top tier fuel is better for vehicles

Last edited:
Costco is a lot cheaper than Speedway or Marathon in our part of Michigan. Today, Costco was $2.05, and Speedway was $2.65. We only buy lawn mower gas (closer) at Speedway.

Pa. always had a lot of Hess ( Amerada Hess) stations since the 60's. They later all turned into convenience store set ups. Amerada Hess wanted out of retail store operations, so they sold them all to Marathon 2 or 3 years ago. Who in turn made them all Speedways. Hess was never a great gasoline, but the Speedway brand seems to be particularly poor. As also is it's common competitor, Sheetz. They are certainly not top tier fuels. I completely avoid them even though they're the closest stations to home.

Top tier brand stations with the full ad packs are scarce in my area, but in less densely populated areas they are everywhere. In Eastern PA. that's pretty much limited to Exxon/Mobil, Shell, Sunoco and Valero. Thankfully, we have several E0 stations available for my old truck and motorcycle, as well as home power equipment.

Pa. has the highest state fuel taxes in the US. Regular swill is about 2.739 right now.

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Marathon Petroleum Corp, a large Ohio based refiner has taken over what was the Noco refinery in Buffalo-Tonawanda, NY and seems to be rapidly expanding into the Northeast in general. The local Noco gas stations have all converted over to Speedway gas stations and Marathon merged with Speedway a while back. So, does Speedway use the same Marathon additive, which is listed as "STP" and is Top Tier? Speedway gas is not listed as Top Tier last I checked. Marathon also has some stations here and seems to be partnered with 7/11.

I was told that Speedway gas is basically Marathon minus the cleaning additives.

Now I see that maybe the few Circle K stations that we have may be going away. One, that was built in recent years after the old station with service bays was torn down. is also now a Speedway

Originally Posted by Lubener

I was told that Speedway gas is basically Marathon minus the cleaning additives.

Not sure what you mean. ALL gasoline has detergent additives. Some are "better" than others...but all still get it.

Originally Posted by GoldDot40
Originally Posted by Lubener

Not sure what you mean. ALL gasoline has detergent additives. Some are "better" than others...but all still get it.

I'm sure what was meant was what Speedway gets doesn't have the "STP" additives that regular Marathon gas stations get.

I've been seeing Speedways in my part of CA lately. I wonder if that has something to do with the Marathon-Tesoro(Amdeavor) merger and whoever is running the retail ops wants more brand recognition beyond Arco(who they own) and Mobil(who XOM has granted marketing rights for CA) in my state?

Ran my first tank of Marathon, perhaps ever a couple weeks ago. My car which has a propensity to ping, pinged like a russian sub the whole tank. Never again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hank2
Pa. always had a lot of Hess ( Amerada Hess) stations since the 60's. They later all turned into convenience store set ups. Amerada Hess wanted out of retail store operations, so they sold them all to Marathon 2 or 3 years ago. Who in turn made them all Speedways. Hess was never a great gasoline, but the Speedway brand seems to be particularly poor. As also is it's common competitor, Sheetz. They are certainly not top tier fuels. I completely avoid them even though they're the closest stations to home.

Top tier brand stations with the full ad packs are scarce in my area, but in less densely populated areas they are everywhere. In Eastern PA. that's pretty much limited to Exxon/Mobil, Shell, Sunoco and Valero. Thankfully, we have several E0 stations available for my old truck and motorcycle, as well as home power equipment.

Pa. has the highest state fuel taxes in the US. Regular swill is about 2.739 right now.

California has the highest gas price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back