Speedway Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson_Slugger

$50 Site Donor 2022
Marathon Petroleum Corp, a large Ohio based refiner has taken over what was the Noco refinery in Buffalo-Tonawanda, NY and seems to be rapidly expanding into the Northeast in general. The local Noco gas stations have all converted over to Speedway gas stations and Marathon merged with Speedway a while back. So, does Speedway use the same Marathon additive, which is listed as "STP" and is Top Tier? Speedway gas is not listed as Top Tier last I checked. Marathon also has some stations here and seems to be partnered with 7/11.

Up. just saw this: Marathon Petroleum to spin off Speedway; CEO to retire

From The Houston Chronicle

And with all Speedway gas stations supplied by refineries owned by Marathon, DeHaan believes that any potential buyer of the chain likely would strike a deal with Marathon to keep them supplied with gasoline and diesel through an already proven distribution network.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
Not according to the linked thread, Speedway not Marathon gas.. I asked the very same question. It's a long thread but it's in there. I've also read Marathon is under pressure from investors to break up the company into a few parts to maximize value.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5166791/fuel-tanker-driver-here

The above quote says Speedway is stocked with Marathon gas, but is it the same additive? IDK, I think I might email them...

I was just referencing what the tanker driver said, ie., Speedway not the same additives as Marathon thus not TT. Whether you believe him your call.

I was just referencing what the tanker driver said, ie., Speedway not the same additives as Marathon thus not TT. Whether you believe him your call.

I do believe him and thanks for the info. But it would almost seem not worth it to have different add packs, but I will avoid the Speedway stations if they're not listed as Top Tier. Pity, they're nice stations..

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Marathon merged with Speedway a while back

Marathon didn't merge with Speedway, it bought Speedway... in 1959.

Speedway has never been Top Tier. Given Speedway's business is built around driving traffic through their convenience store (they're a convenience store that happens to sell fuel), I'd assume they run on a model of simply buying whatever additive pack is cheapest at the fuel distributor each day.

This is actually a timely topic. Marathon announced on Thursday that they're spinning off Speedway as it's own independent publicly traded company:
https://www.cspdailynews.com/merger...um-spinning-speedway-changing-leadership

Not according to the linked thread, Speedway not Marathon gas.. I asked the very same question. It's a long thread but it's in there. I've also read Marathon is under pressure from investors to break up the company into a few parts to maximize value.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5166791/fuel-tanker-driver-here

The above quote says Speedway is stocked with Marathon gas, but is it the same additive? IDK, I think I might email them...
I just had this exact conversation with a (normally independent) tanker driver for Duncan Oil here in Cincinnati, who Speedway is apparently contracting to deliver fuel, and he confirmed that the gasoline is the same, but the level of additives is different, between Marathon & Speedway. I would use Marathon more, but they're inconvenient and most of them suffer from the same run down issues of the local BPs-card readers on pumps not running, filters not changed, stations look like they belong in a 3rd world country.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer

Speedway has never been Top Tier. Given Speedway's business is built around driving traffic through their convenience store (they're a convenience store that happens to sell fuel), I'd assume they run on a model of simply buying whatever additive pack is cheapest at the fuel distributor each day.

This is actually a timely topic. Marathon announced on Thursday that they're spinning off Speedway as it's own independent publicly traded company:

GoldDot, our tanker driver whom I appreciate for answering a lot of questions, isn't exactly cut-and-dried here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5166791/4

Originally Posted by GoldDot40

Q: I do have to wonder now, since Speedway isn't a fuel processor, can they sell any brand of fuel from their stations ? Or does their Marathon ownership dictate it is in fact Marathon fuel ?
A: A lot of corporate politics involved behind the scenes. Certain chains such as Speedway may have a contract through Marathon to only sell Marathon. However, if the store is unbranded, they may still sell Marathon Unbranded product...it's still Marathon...just with a generic additive package vs the premium quality package. All depends on their contract terms.

It sort of sounds like "depends"?

Yeah, they're pretty new here or less than a year old...

I don't know about that, Marathon actually owns the fuel terminal here. I think you're being a bit cut-and-dry when it is probably more convoluted than that:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/12/marathon-petroleum-confirms-plan-to-buy-noco-stores-terminal/

I already mentioned that...

I would add that around here QuikTrip(QT) has similar biz model to Speedway, however QT is TT gas. It's one of my favorites. Low gas prices, clean rest rooms and store, and a huge .50 soft serve cone/cup.

Speedway took over Hess/Wilco stations formerly Wilco here. Also Sheetz in this area similar but not TT.

Yeah, they're pretty new here or less than a year old...

I don't know about that, Marathon actually owns the fuel terminal here. I think you're being a bit cut-and-dry when it is probably more convoluted than that:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/12/marathon-petroleum-confirms-plan-to-buy-noco-stores-terminal/

I already mentioned that...
Here in Cincinnati, Speedway gets fuel from the Marathon terminal in Latonia (Covington), KY among other places, the Duncan Oil driver I talked to probably loaded up in the Dayton/Springfield OH area (near Speedway's HQ in Enon, OH). My only gripe with Speedway is their penchant for raising gas prices regularly for no good reason, causing everyone to raise prices to match them. They're the 300 pound gorilla on the c-store block here, as big as all their competitors combined. Gasoline could be better too, I've had occasional issues with them (clogged gas engine injectors, gas in the diesel tank).

The way that it was explained to me by several people who worked at Speedway HQ (I used to work five minutes from there) is that Speedway stations are company owned, while those under the Marathon banner are independently owned. Speedway's add pack is the minimum required, while Marathon's add pack goes beyond the minimum, and they finally had it certified as top tier.

I'm sure that differentiating the two fuels is purposeful, because I'm not sure otherwise why I would want to be a Marathon franchisee, and have the company that is providing me fuel trying to undersell me on the opposite corner on price and volume both.

The spinoff may potentially change some of that. Time will tell.

Marathon has a terminal in Dayton so I suspect we don't see the same tanker guys out of KY that you do. The times I've seen them receiving fuel (at the stations), the trucks are either Speedway's own branded trucks, Marathon, or a 3rd-party (not Duncan although I have seen them around here).

Your earlier post about Speedway stations vs Marathon's is spot-on too (except for one Marathon in the area). They are all not-the-nicest facilities and none of them label their pumps as "Top Tier" like they're supposed to.

To another point you made, I have tried to stop getting fuel from them as well because of their scam of jacking up prices 30 cents or 50 cents in a single shot. Also, where we live, Speedway is the primary gas station (I'd bet they're the highest revenue grossing retail establishment in our town) and their prices will be 30 cents higher than Speedway stations ~5 miles away where there's actually competition.

To clarify my first reference to the question regarding Speedway vs Marathon gas was answered by GoldDot40 here. His reply "If there's no marquee advertising a brand, then the station is selling unbranded product. It likely would be Marathon unbranded...which is product supplied by Marathon, but doesn't have their TT additive package. It would likely have a generic additive."

And when I noted gas not being the same, I was referencing end product at the pump of Speedway and/or Marathon stations.

Actually, Marathon bought the assets that included Superamerica and the refinery in St. Paul Park. They then rebranded to Speedway.

Ironically, in the past Speedway and Superamerica were both owned by Ashland. Ashland sold off Superameria and the refinery to Marathon, who then sold to an investment group - Northern Tier Refining. Northern Tier sold out to Western Refining, who then merged with Tesoro to form Andeavor. Andeavor was acquired by Marathon, bringing the refinery back to the Marathon fold along with Superamerica.

I used to buy Superamerica gas - it was Top Tier, and based on the octane adjustment readings from my truck, was one of the better fuels in our area (with three distinct sources confirmed by testing in the past).

Speedway is not Top Tier, and my days of buying gas at their generally run down gas stations are over. Mostly Holiday and Kwik Trip these days...

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
I will never, ever buy gas from those thieves knows as Speedway. Those [censored] are responsible for the .20-.40 cent unjustified jumps we see here in Michigan.

http://www.thegasgame.com/speedway-effect/

Heh, they routinely do 50-60 cent jumps here !
Originally Posted by MNgopher
...at their generally run down gas stations are over.

Not defending Speedway but they generally remodel their stations pretty good so they'll probably get to the ones in your area soon enough. The remodeled ones, and in fact even the ones that are less than ~20 years old (guessing), are by no means "run down" around here. The newest ones are really, really well done.

Given Speedway's business is built around driving traffic through their convenience store (they're a convenience store that happens to sell fuel)

Yeap, their slogan or whatever it's called is "The convenience stores of .... Speed-way".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back