Speeding up old laptop: Ram or SSD ?

i have an old HP laptop 4540 . its got 4gb ram and a 500gb disk in it. i want to speed it up a little but don't want to invest too much. budget is $50 . So what would give me better performance, ram or a SSD? it takes a while for it to boot up

New Egg is my go to for hard drives...

Major thing you need to find out is whether you have SATA II or SATA III drive controller.
SATA II is limited to 3 gig per second, and you can have major problems getting a SATA III drive to downshift to SATA II
SATA III is 6 gigs per second....

SSD made a big diff in my old laptop, but I found some cheap memory and expanded it from 4GB to 8GB. I think it may have been a total of $100 invested, that might have included a cloning cable and external drive case (as I figured I could use the old drive as external storage)*. I would look at the price of both.

*I moved the drive into the external case but it's giving me some warning about a password... I've never gotten around to figuring out, and I wound up just doing a fresh install of Win10 instead. Been meaning to get back to that. Point being, I didn't need the cloning stuff, and despite not having any sort of paperwork, the laptop was recognized as legit and Windows allowed me to do a fresh install. Night and day performance increase.

I've never had any issues running newer SATA III SSDs in older SATA II systems. They're supposed to be backwards compatible (either direction) but I've seen plenty of warnings about how it won't work or can be unstable, but none have come to pass.

I own an HP Z400 and HP Z600 (Intel ICH10R SATA II southbridge) which have newer SATA-III SSDs and both run flawless.

First SSD

then SSD

third SSD

fourth SSD

then think about ram.

many years ago I bought an asus eee for obd diagnosis, hdd and only 1gb fixed soldered memory. It really needed a 2nd gb of ram but that wasn’t possible. Switching from hdd to SSD made that thin actually usable. Much more so than I could have imagined.
so go SSD

i have an old HP laptop 4540 . its got 4gb ram and a 500gb disk in it. i want to speed it up a little but don't want to invest too much. budget is $50 . So what would give me better performance, ram or a SSD? it takes a while for it to boot up
Are you running Windows, if so which version? Make sure to clean up the temporary files as well and cleanup the start up tasks etc. All that windows garbage slows down computers as well.

Another vote for SSD. I added one to a seven year old laptop recently, and bought a used stick of name brand RAM from eBay (from a 100% rated seller) for half the price of new. It used to take several minutes to boot, now it takes less than a minute.

4GB of RAM isn't that much. I have 16GB in my machines. I also buy memory used on ebay.

Back