New 2TB SSD - How to make primary??

If the current C drive is pretty clean cloning is OK. This might help someone with Windows issues on the old drive. If the PC came with Win 10 you'll have no problem, unless MSFT recently changed something. Here's what I did. There is software you can download to find the Win 10 program key, I retrieved the key. I downloaded Win 10 from MSFT, made a bootable USB, then did a clean install of Win 10 onto a new SSD hard drive. It worked perfectly at least half a dozen times for me. I kept the old HDD in the event of a problem, worst case I would have cloned it onto the new SSD.

The above is correct.

Always go with a fresh install of windows. Always.

Keep your old drive as a backup.

A fresh windows install loads only the dedicated drivers needed and the registry will be clean. Performance is nearly always better too. The idea that one can declutter an older hard drive is really not correct.

Your new hard drive will be properly configured, instead of dealing with a cloned version of a different hard drive. The difference is not just measurable, it's obvious.

Here is what Microsoft says: To get the best possible performance form your new SSD drive, a clean install of Windows 10 is definitely the best option, nothing beats a clean install on a new SSD for a stable and responsive operating system.

There is a hassle factor not to be ignored. Gonna take a long time to move stuff over.
That point is not lost on us. However, you can boot up your computer on the new drive, hook up the old drive (I have had luck using a portable hard drive case) and copying the files you want (documents/pics/music) . Obviously this won't transfer the programs. But most of those can now be downloaded quickly. Which brings up another point, those programs will be properly set up for your new configuration.

I promise the "hassle factor" you mention, can be more than offset by potential operational issues that have no easy solution.

A fresh windows install loads only the dedicated drivers needed and the registry will be clean. Performance is nearly always better too. The idea that one can declutter an older hard drive is really not correct.

Your new hard drive will be properly configured, instead of dealing with a cloned version of a different hard drive. The difference is not just measurable, it's obvious.

Here is what Microsoft says: To get the best possible performance form your new SSD drive, a clean install of Windows 10 is definitely the best option, nothing beats a clean install on a new SSD for a stable and responsive operating system.
That's how I was taught. It's more work, takes longer but makes for a better job in my experience.

The Kingston SSD's come with an Acronis key, I have bought a LOT of them. Send me a DM if you are interested.

Same here, I got about a dozen of Acronis keys with me with anybody wants a key - although I don't know if they work for post-2019 versions.

There is a hassle factor not to be ignored. Gonna take a long time to move stuff over.
FWIW on both Windows and Linux systems I keep the OS on one drive (even if that's just a partition on a physical HDD/SSD) and my personal files on another. That way I can reinstall or switch an OS without having to worry too much about data migration.

I still have no idea what you're referring to.

You're already using Windows. What's installing a clean version of Windows going to do that you don't want?
Sure you do. The constant barrage of wanting to change to MS default browser with any MS contact let alone a new install.

Frankly it’s just not worth the bother to me. Everything works fine and fast. I keep a clean machine. Old school computers to motors- if it’s clean and fast- don’t mess with it.

I always do a fresh Windows install on new hard drives. With cloud services, there's very little that I store locally anymore. The one time I did clone someone's laptop, I used Macrium Reflect and a SATA to USB cable.

Sure you do. The constant barrage of wanting to change to MS default browser with any MS contact let alone a new install.

Frankly it’s just not worth the bother to me. Everything works fine and fast. I keep a clean machine. Old school computers to motors- if it’s clean and fast- don’t mess with it.
Nope, still don't. I don't find changing a few preferences in a clean install of Windows to be an ordeal, but if you just don't want to deal with it then that's fine of course.

I used the Samsung utility. So quick and perfect.

From hoisting the monster back on my desk to cover back on and moved back down, 15 minutes. Copied in about 8 minutes.

I just went: Install 2TB SSD with new cable, Run Samsung magician. Re-Boot with original C: unplugged. All good. New is now C: Shut down, plug in old drive. Boot and new drive is still C: and old is D: No issues.

Thanks!!

Back