Interesting SSD wear rate - Mac Pro

One of my samsung laptops had a hitachi laptop hard drive, it was good from 2012 to 2016.

I replaced it with a toshiba 7200rpm hard drive, a little bit more expensive but is still working great.

I was an early-ish adopter of SSD, my 2010 MacBook Air runs one.

And it only has 4GB Ram. Run any browser with more than one window and the computer is ALWAYS down to like 25MB Ram. So it must be swapping a lot. I don’t have any way to tell drive life. Based upon this thread I really wish I knew.

You can get an idea using DriveDx, though I'd take what it shows you with a grain of salt, based on what it told me vs what I saw putting the driving in a Windows box and using the OEM's utility.

And it only has 4GB Ram. Run any browser with more than one window and the computer is ALWAYS down to like 25MB Ram. So it must be swapping a lot. I don’t have any way to tell drive life. Based upon this thread I really wish I knew.
Could try Crystsl Disk Info. Google it to find the download.

Last edited:

I was using one back in 2009 or so when they first becomes available as RAID drive, it was expensive and one of the 2 OCZ Vertex 2 finally died 2 years ago. For most consumer usage they should last way pass warranty unless they have design / parts issue. 8 years daily usage isn't bad, and they are overdue for upgrade.

Back