Speeding ticket; Ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got caught doing 88mph in 70mph speed limit on the local interstate; I checked the ticket price over the phone and they said $165, so I decided to wait and go to the court, hopefully to reduce the fine; oh boy I was wrong. One of the reason of waiting to the court date was that I did not have a speeding in more than 5 years; Prior to that, my driving record was not that good; Tonight at the court, I was reminded of my 10 earlier traffic violations in my 17 year long driving career, majority of speedings of course;

Due to lack of recent speedings, the little I had known, in state of Georgia once you speed over 85mph, automatically there is the state ticket "super speeding" that triggers an additional $200 fine; In my case, I talked to the court solicitor and she reduced the speed to 84mph instead of 88mph but still ending paying for my regular ticket, plus court costs(whatever that means) but no points to my drivers license luckily;

Originally I wanted to go to the court to help myself and paying less, such as $165 but like this I ended paying $300 even; Ouch; This really comes at surprise;
On the bright side no points to my drivers license but I'm not sure for insurance, although my 14mph over the limit should cary 2-1-0 points so my insurance won't be affected hopefully

So what is your state laws for speedings and what is your latest fine and how it affected your insurance if any please

Last edited:
Anything 15 mph over the limit here is a misdemeanor. I don't know exactly how much it would cost but speeding tickets start @ around $300 and go up from there. I am sure 18 over the limit would be $600 easily plus court costs,traffic school etc.

I've only been caught speeding once in 31 years of driving.

I usually only go 10 mph over the speed limit while driving in the States and maybe 10-15 km/h over in Canada. Tickets in Ontario Canada get expensive. If you do 50 km/h over its considered street racing and you lose the car for a week.

I got a school zone speeding ticket that ended up costing me over $400, but I was able to get it reduced to a parking ticket.

Silly me, I thought the "end school zone" sign for my direction, increased speed limit sign, along with the flashing lights facing the other direction indicating the start/end of a school zone meant that I was out of the school zone.

Apparently not.

But, I do find it funny that I got a speeding ticket for the exact speed of the road!

I speed but haven't been pulled over since 2007.
A cop wrote me two tickets in downtown Columbus, OH when I first got my WRX. 50 in a 35 and unmarked lanes which means not using my turn signal. Being that my dad was an attorney, I fought the citations in court and kinda know what to do. I didn't use him or any attorney. I plead not guilty, went back to court a few weeks later and got the tickets reduced to a mechanical muffler violation. Was fined $120 and received no points.

My insurance didn't go up.

I get a speeding ticket maybe once every 10 years. My latest one was 45 in a 25 on my motorcycle ... small backwoods town and I didn't see the speed limit sign change. Of course Barney was hiding out in a blacked out SUV with radar going trying to collect ticket revenue. Plus side is I paid the $207 fine and went to "driving school" for a couple of hours and the ticket didn't go on my driving record at all. I could have went to court, but probably the best I could do there is get the fine reduced, but the ticket would still go on my driving record.

You dodged a bullet there, but still what a pain in the wallet!

What were road and traffic conditions at the time you were stopped? A lone car blazing along on a quiet night or swerving through traffic like a madman catches more attention than a car passing at 88 while surrounding traffic does 85.

I try to drive responsibly and defensively. I see way too many speeding imbeciles on I-95, especially near DC. In 50 years of driving, I have two moving violations: one failure to yield in VA in 1983 and one speeding 10 mph over in a 25 mph "tourist trap" zone written by a female police officer in 1989 in Duck NC.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I try to drive responsibly and defensively. I see way too many speeding imbeciles on I-95, especially near DC. In 50 years of driving, I have two moving violations: one failure to yield in VA in 1983 and one speeding 10 mph over in a 25 mph "tourist trap" zone written by a female police officer in 1989 in Duck NC.

A "Female Police Officer" is called a "Police Officer".

I find it difficult to speed when riding the bus
coffee2.gif

1. My uncle's the governor
2. I didn't know it was a school zone
3. There weren't any lanes marked
4. I didn't see the sign
5. My ticket was for the posted limit
6. I was an attorney in a former life
7. I figured I'd fight it and win

Sheesh!!!
2 below is the way to go!

Originally Posted By: Imp4
4. I didn't see the sign

Sheesh!!!

Have you ever driven in Texas?

Originally Posted By: JC1
I've only been caught speeding once in 31 years of driving.

I usually only go 10 mph over the speed limit while driving in the States and maybe 10-15 km/h over in Canada. Tickets in Ontario Canada get expensive. If you do 50 km/h over its considered street racing and you lose the car for a week.

Not just that, you also get a stiff fine and more.

"If you are charged with Stunt Driving, you will immediately be issued a seven day roadside suspension of your licence. In addition, your vehicle will be impounded for seven days, at your expense.

Upon Conviction, the penalties for Stunt Driving are:

6 Demerit Points.
$2,000.00 – $10,000.00 fine
A possible suspension of your driver’s licence for a period of no more than 2 years
A possible term of imprisonment for up to 6 months

Even one conviction for Stunt driving will result in premium increases amounting to thousands of dollars per year. On a more serious note, some insurance companies may even refuse to insure you."

http://trafficticketdoc.com/services/ontario-traffic-violations/stunt-driving-and-racing/

Last edited:
I was also cited for doing 79 in a 65 years ago. Fought in court, did a bond forfeiture, $50, no court cost and no points.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: Imp4
4. I didn't see the sign

Sheesh!!!

Have you ever driven in Texas?

The 2 below comment was somewhat facetious, but what I was trying to highlight was the wide array of...... explanations

These are unjust laws and would NEVER be convicted if you could have a trial of your peers.

Illegal is Illegal. I guess you could try to claim double jeopardy, or entrapment.

Last edited:
Best excuse... You were dating a girl that was a pita but she left you for a police officer. You were only speeding in fear he was bringing her back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back