Speeding ticket in CA, 82 mph in 65 zone (fwy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, one of the reasons I care so much is because I said I'd help him pay for it. Hopefully this ticket won't be too much.

BTW, I don't know what it's like in Texas, but here, everybody speeds.

My $396 speeding ticket is due tommmorow
frown.gif

DaveInLA
There are many parts of Texas where you can get away with speeds well above the speed limit. One must take into account that you are probably driving through a rural area with a shallow tax base and take the appropriate precautions of 1-being safe, 2 not getting caught going stupid fast.
I Sometimes play RIO for my wife and vice versa working together we can effectively travel 95-100 for very long stretches (1-2 hours before we run into civilization). If you get too cocky and go to fast you get caught. That speed is abnormal( that's just occasional open road oppurtunities) and if there are other cars on the road we usually drive 84 in the 70 zones.
I am 35 years old and have been pulled over a few times in my life but had only 1 speeding ticket issued and a couple of verbal warnings. Most of it has to do with admitting culpability, not lying and being polite and gracious to the officer. They are normally treated with such attitude by those they pull over that they are taken off guard by open honest courteous citizens and may just practice a bit of discretion in ticketing you the sapeeder. If you get ticketed, just do the school. Don't be a stupid reckless speeder and do not speed at all inside an urban area.

Yeah, real low hanging fruit.

Late last night on my way home (in RI), I see this trooper creeping gradually on my tail so I move over even though I'm cruising at 80mph, just like I would for anyone else. Turns out to be an unmarked out of state trooper heading back to CT. After he passes, I pull back out to the left.

The trooper throws his lit cigarette out the window which lands between my windshield and wiper. "P"d me off something terrible
mad.gif
In turn, I floored it passing him and didn't let up until I could no longer see him in my mirror. I know this was an immature reaction but it was my way of giving him the 1 finger salute. I hope he never remembers my plate in CT. After all, I'm moving their soon.

After that episode I thought, would it be cool to follow speeding off duty troopers with a video camera around, then asking them on camera why they are (hypocrites) in such a rush?

As others have said in this thread, I too am amazed at the lack of personal responsibility here. Jump on my case all you want, but Im 24 years old with a fair share of speeding tickets in my past. There is no way I could ever justify driving 17mph over the posted limit with "its not like I was being reckless". You were. Plain and simple. You create a hazard not only for yourself, but for those around you as well. I cant even count the times when Ive been nearly rearended by someone exceeding the speed limit by large amounts read: 15+mph).
Something my Dad told me when I got my first speeding ticket and had a friend who's mom was a lawyer was, "There is no way youre going to cheat or lie your way out of taking responsibility for breaking the law". As much as I hated him at the time for not letting me fight the ticket, (was written up for 37 in a 25) time and maturity have me seeing a differnt light.

As others have said in this thread, I too am amazed at the lack of personal responsibility here. Jump on my case all you want, but Im 24 years old with a fair share of speeding tickets in my past. There is no way I could ever justify driving 17mph over the posted limit with "its not like I was being reckless". You were. Plain and simple. You create a hazard not only for yourself, but for those around you as well. I cant even count the times when Ive been nearly rearended by someone exceeding the speed limit by large amounts read: 15+mph).
Something my Dad told me when I got my first speeding ticket and had a friend who's mom was a lawyer was, "There is no way youre going to cheat or lie your way out of taking responsibility for breaking the law". As much as I hated him at the time for not letting me fight the ticket, (was written up for 37 in a 25) time and maturity have me seeing a different light.

Why not just obey the law by not speeding?.. I don't get it.
dunno.gif

Same here. Its not my place to analyze why and how the speed limits are enacted and if there is justification for collecting the fines ane who benefits. And if I'm easy prey so be it.

I can say though that I have been stopped 4 times in my life. I got off Scott-Free twice bc I was polite to the cop. The other 2 times the cop wrote me up for disobeying a lawfully posted sign (instead of speeding). The other time I got written up for doing 13 mph over instead of 17 over. Huge difference and not reported to insurance. I firmly believe you reap what you sow. And I plan on continuing that philosophy.
smile.gif

"Why not just obey the law by not speeding?.. I don't get it"

A) No such thing as "speeding."

B) American highway velocity limits are
delibertaely underated.

I am not saying the German model could work here ... inspections are not as thorough in the states and I question the driving skills of many here.

However many US highways can easily sustain 80-90-100-110-120 even depending on atmospheric conditions,tarmac type,curvature, traffic, vehicle & tire type.

Do not let the status quo dupe you into believing 90mph is "reckless." To second my previous post 55mph speed limits on segments that can sustain twice that limit are there to encourage revenue collection, ie "speeding" tickets/tax. 10+mph over in a residential,secondry, school zone road is DIFFERENT STORY.

We have posters here from all over. They can all post highway segments where limits are totally disgregarded, people move much faster there and safely.

Another older friend put it to me like this. It is okay to drive fast in the left lane. The tickets I get are my user fee & tax for high speed usage
smile.gif

I've been stopped for speeding 3 times and I have never gotten a ticket.

I've never disputed I was exceeding the posted limit.

One time a state trooper got me and I explained that I sped up to let a guy tailgating me go by, the trooper saw the guy too but the guy swung off quickly at an exit.

Other times I was just coasting down a grade in the road and I told the officers the same. I didn't claim to have no knowledge of speeding.

My experience is that to admit culpability is the best first tact in all facets of life.

quote:

A) No such thing as "speeding."

B) American highway velocity limits are
delibertaely underated.

Well, you know the basic concepts of law, don't you. The society HAS to have laws to be sustainable. Many laws should not be flexible, and in this case 65mph is 65, not "10 over no problem".
Don't like it- vote against it. Disobeying LAW means anarchy. Is that what you're looking for? I came from society like that, and trust me; you don’t want to be part of it.

So say, drug abuse is not an abuse at all? Or take the tax brackets- are they so much flexible as you think speed limits are? Isn't there a parallel?

Traffic school and forget it. The "fee" will still be equal to a fine, but no insurance points. He passed a CHP while doing more than the flow of traffic. If you are going to "stand out" you need to pay close attention.

It's very rare that someone comes close to rear-ending me. However, the few times that it has happened, it had much less to do with their speed and much more to do with the fact that they're (1)following too closely or (2) not paying attention or (3) both.

Also, the times this happened is due to traffic coming to a dead stop on the interstate, not due to me slamming the brakes on for a red light at the last possible second or something similar.

Razl,
A couple of weeks ago there was a very larger event in San Antonio that attrracted people from all over the state including off duty police officers and sherrifs from out of jurisdiciton. They were trying to cruise at 85 to get to their destination but all the idiots slamming there brakes when they recognized them as cops made it difficult and created a potential hazard.. I latched on to them for about 40 miles until they chickened out when they saw a state trooper and slowed down.. I waved when I passed the group and they followed me for 20 more miles until we got into town where traffic seperated us. Cops are your friends. Except that one jerk who littered on your windshield.

"There is no way youre going to cheat or lie your way out of taking responsibility for breaking the law"

It is civic duty to violate unjust law.

Cheating? I should also surrender to magistrate for the beverages consumed before age 21 too. 80% of the time the police officer will not even appear resulting in dismissal of your case. That is not cheating that is simply the use of due process.

"I cant even count the times when Ive been nearly rearended by someone exceeding the speed limit by large amounts read: 15+mph"

That is the fault of the other driver not maintainin sufficient braking distance. That has nothing to do with speed, but the rear drivers lack of skill or foresight. 15mph or 5mph is irrelevant to a tailgater.

To all the naysayers here I would recommend enrollment in a high performance driving school such as Bragg Smith. Learn the wet track, yaw recovery maneuvers etc. Then you will understand how underrated US limits are ... arguably dummed down due to all the drivers without sufficient skill for there tuned cars.

I concur with the above by Bryan. Usually Texas Highway Patrol or regional cops on the Interstates will bust you for anything over 80mph. All my tickets were at 83mph ... they were consistent at least. The neatest stop was when I got pulled over by a Police Pursuit 9C1 LS1 Camaro. That was very cool :)I kindly asked the trooper to hunt down a Mustang for me on his next stop.

There is one reason I am not cruising at 80+mph anymore.At 80mphs+ it is like my car is on afterburners fuel economy wise. Fuel prices being as they are are keeping me below 75mph and 70mph+ on average. Vehicle gives me 25mpg at 70 and 28-29 around 60-65. The pump prices are regulating my driving habits.

Outrun,

Well, I'm glad you feel it's *YOUR* civic duty to "violate unjust law(s)" as you put it, but most of the populace is required to follow those laws that are set forth by the state and federal legislatures.

Personally, I've been through more driving courses (Police Emergency Driving) than most people will ever attend, and I would agree that speed alone isn't necessarily the contributing factor to accidents. Regardless, it's not the job of some deputy, officer, or trooper to determine whether or not *YOU* happen to be one of the uber-qualified drivers who is capable of safely exceeding the speed limit. Or is it? Should they stop you and then ask if you have any special training which permits you to drive 17 MPH over the speed limit before issuing a citation? Perhaps you could carry around a little card that you hand the officer when you get pulled over.

The way I look at it is like this. When you speed, you recognize that you are risking a citation. Deal with it. Be a man about it. If you are stupid enough to get caught, then be a big boy about it and go take defensive driving or pay the ticket.

In my jurisdiction (and everywhere around the Houston area), there is no such "80% of the time they don't show up to court" rate. I'd say it's 95% of the time they/we *DO* show up because we're issued this little thing called a S-U-B-P-O-E-N-A, and we happen to follow the orders of the judge when we're told to be somewhere at a particular date and time. If exceptional circumstances should arise, however, the court date will simply be reset by the prosecutor. Maybe less than 0.1% of the tickets are dismissed due to the state's witness not being available.

Oh, yeah, and another thing. The police package Camaro was not called a 9C1 - it was a B4C Camaro. The 9C1 was used only for the Caprices.

Good day.

"Oh, yeah, and another thing. The police package Camaro was not called a 9C1 - it was a B4C Camaro. The 9C1 was used only for the Caprices.

Good day."

Owned

The problem is that what was once "traffic control" has become "Revenue Enhancement". Coming down I-26 in Tennessee, the speed limit is 70. Once you hit the state line, the speed limit changes instantly to 55, and the North Carolina Staties are waiting for you.
I have some insight into how the ticket system works. No, I was never a cop, but the next best thing, I managed a Dunkin Donuts. In one store, I would sit at the counter and help a Statie pre fill out tickets for a stop sign in the area. Toward the end of the month, he would give out several tickets to keep his "activity rating" up.
Moving to a different state, I remember a big Florida city was starting a motorcycle unit (state police). Everyone wanted the new Harley's. I remember one statie being very mad because he was denied assigment to the bikes because he "didn't write enough tickets". Not sure how it is now, but back then the state police was entirely funded by ticket revenue.
A year or so ago, here in NC, my wife was given a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. it seems a certain lady state trooper with a reputation of trying to prove what a hard *** she was, claimed she saw her drive by without a seat belt on. Problem was, the trooper was parked at the side of the road, my wife went by her at 45, the car has tinted windows, and the wife was immediately waved through a traffic check and nothing was said. When the trooper caught up to her, she claimed my wife must have just put the belt on. My wife was wearing it, and always does. Incensed at theis miscarriage of justice, we decided to fight it.
I went to the scene and took pics of her driving by etc, wrote out a statement, and armed with a manilla envelope of details, map etc went to court. We were professionally dressed, and standing in line with the dregs of society my immediate concern was when was my last tetanus shot. We were in court all day, and at the end of the day we were told it we were given a court date a few months out. When that time came we both went to court again. At the beginning of the day, she pleaded "not guilty", and was told they would hear the case later that day. After listening to a day of plea bargains, at 4:45 we were called. The Porky Pig look alike DA asked how we plead. My wife, waving the envelope, answered "Not Guilty". Fat boy whispered something to the judge, and the old **** declared, with a big smile "we are dismissing charges".
So the DA screwed with us for 2 days because we dared challenge him, the old **** jusge thought he was doing us a favor, the trooper never showed. It cost my wife and I 2 days pay, for a $75 fine. I am not sure it was worth it.
ps: I alway drive less than 10mph over the speed limit, and my last ticket was 1966.

Owned? Clarification noted you mean?
Owned? What makes you think any deterrent just occured here?

If you want to talk "man" make my day. My convictions stand against enforcers willingly complicit to this revenue generating regime. Self justify this reality all you want. I will not be a sacrificial lamb to local tax schemes.

one thing that outrun touched upon, but hasnt been considered enough is the very fact of fuel utilization and fuel costs.

Take NJ for example. Up until the mid 1990s, the speed limit on all roads was 55mph. in the mid to late 1990s, gas prices started to drop... I can look in my book and verify dates that I bought gasoline in NJ in the late 90s for 80c/gallon, at reputable name-brand stations.

Coincidence? Well no more or less than the fact that now that fuel is so pricey, folks (including outrun) are slowing down to conserve.

I recall seeing in history books how in the 40's there were 'war' sped limits of 35. I know from my father that during the gas chrisis, he tried to cruise constantly at 45 MPH, as it was the point where he could get optimal fuel economy (he, like I, have ALWAYS logged every tank of fuel in every car we own).

I wonder if that has something to do with the "outrageously low" speed limits that many have such gripes about. Personally, I dont think the limits are too low - I think that many people drive way too fast. Without VERY STRINGENT quality checks on cars, excellent training, perfect road care, etc.

And dont try to compare it to Europe. The social structure is different, the training is different, the enforcement is different, and guess what? A little VW doing 110 MPH on the highway is going to use a LOT less fuel than our big comfort cruisers and SUVs that we have here. If the Euro folks want to drive extremely fast, they usually have the money and pay for it in more ways than one. People in the US want to drive fast, but then dont even want to pay for proper maintenance of their cars.

I am glad the speed limit is 65 MPH. I never drive faster than 71. Between my parents, brother and I (four people), we own 5 cars. EVERY SINGLE car beats the EPA MPG estimates. How many other folks can say that? And, how many have the calculated logs to prove it? There is a reason why the EPA has to drop their fuel economy reporting numbers, and it isnt because of the cars, car companies or the government.

The only times Ive been rearended or close to rearended are when accelerating from a dead stop at a stoplight, when the jerk behind me insists on a jackrabbit start, and I in my MT car is acclerating safely but gradually (2500-3000RPM shift points aren't exactly turtle speeds in BMWs and Saabs). The other times have been when traffic has energency stops. My MB was ruined because a girl wasnt paying attention, driving too fast, and didnt note the emergency stop with people fully halted in the roadway.

SOme of it has to do with geography, and for all I know, the intelligence of people. For example, take a drive on a Friday afternoon down the NJ parkway to the shore. People are less than a carlength apart, driving 65-75MPH, and can do it for mines and miles on end. Drive in DC on 295/395 in rush hour; through the traffic, they can stay close and not need to resort to super fast starts and hard stops. Then, go to I-95in Delaware - the people are idiots who dont have a clue and make the driving experience so far from fun that I get unduly stressed out and angry. Noplace that I had ever driven had I ever experienced so many folks making emergency stops where they had to pull to the shoulder for extra braking space because otherwise they would hit the car in front. I see at least one of these stops at the 95/DE rt. 1 interchange (exit 4) EVERY DAY.

People need to take responsibility, and even if its just "little" things easily caught, like speeding, it needs to be further enforced for the greater good of safety, fuel use, etc., etc. Until folks can prove that they have some control, have the ability to drive with both hands, not holding a cellphone, maintain their cars, accelerate and brake smoothly, leave space between themselves, learn to drive in traffic so that you go slow but brake requirements are minimal, etc., etc., I really wish things were more stringent.

I also thing that insurance is a terrible institution, where any non-PC judgment flies like there is no issue - diuscrimination because of sex, age, race? All are OK. I think that if law enforcement is going to enforce their rules (A-OK by me), and insurance is going to raise their rates (its true that someone is no more or less safe before a ticket compared to after), that the insurance companies should be forced to raise that driver's liability limits too - if this makes their rates skyrocket further, I could really care less, but I think its justified. For example - the girl who destroyed my car, she had past traffic violations, she was at some point excluded from others' insurance policies due to the risk that she caused... she didnt even have a car. And when she destroyed 4 cars, guess what happened? She had state min coverage, even though she was the biggest risk there could be, and nobody ended up with any $ for repairs. Im now caught up in the legal system, wasting my and many others' time as a result of the runaround by her and her insurance company whom is sworn to protect her in court. If she had been forced to have higher liability coverage limits, than her risk level as evidenced by the public would be minimized, since damage that she caused can now not be paid for, she has no assets, and everyone is screwed - our policy that we pay for now gets to go up if we use it for some reimbursement... thats the rality of the so-called protection of insurance. Not good for much when you really need it.

Go ahead and enforce traffic, and if youre caught, fess up and pay for it... but, ensure that if nothing else, that the system fairly treats all users in terms of use of the $ (I have no problem with it supporting local police and fire departments, but it shouldnt necessarily go to other stuff), the fines levied ont users by insurers, etc., etc.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back