Speed Enforced By Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OilyWaterMIXER
Isn't Ohio also the state that does not require radar to give you a speeding ticket?

There aren't any states that require radar.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I always see those signs when I'm in California. I always laugh too, cause I highly doubt California has the money to pay for an aircraft to track cars speeding. If they do, then that's one reason they are broke.

CHP has 30 aircraft, 15 are airplanes. All are multi-role.

I've talked to the local officers, they stay very busy.

Yup, there are lots of locations like I-80 near Sacto and stretches of I-5 where all you have to do is look up and off to one side. There is a fixed wing cruising along at about 1,000 feet at max fuel economy speed. They are parallel to the Hwy, and can be spotted
smile.gif

Thing is they won't fly in high wind. So if you have cojones and quick reflexes, have at it
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I always see those signs when I'm in California. I always laugh too, cause I highly doubt California has the money to pay for an aircraft to track cars speeding. If they do, then that's one reason they are broke.

I think you guys underestimate how much money a few stops can bring in

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: BigD1
Speed=distance/time

They use timing marks for the distance, and what ever stop watch method for the time.

Is that what those random patches of white parallel painted lines on the highway are?

It would be such a shame if vandals dumped black paint on top of them, wouldn't it?

I wonder if the police departments are required to measure the distance between the marks before every shift to ensure they are the correct?
I wonder if a lawyer could use that type of information to fight a ticket, if it turned out that the marks used were not the correct distance apart from each other, and that lead to a false speed reading?

BC.

Having listened to them on the scanner numerous times, they run a squad car through at the speed limit and verify the speed from the aircraft.

Speed=distance/time

They use timing marks for the distance, and what ever stop watch method for the time.

A stop watch with finger, and brain aren't a calibrated until like a radar gun. I would think that if you can toss out an infraction if the radar wasn't proven to be properly calibrated, the finger/stop watch method certainly must have a lot of "holes." They haven't used stop watches in many years to time top level track and field or swimming events.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: horse123
fdcg27 said:
you're quickly out of their jurisdiction

lol someone watches too much tv

No, someone educates themselves and doesn't present their rectum to the police on a platter when they get pulled over
wink.gif

Speed=distance/time

Is that what those random patches of white parallel painted lines on the highway are?

Thought that was LIDAR. Non-transmitting speed measure method..

Someone mentioned "crosses," like X's?

Originally Posted By: CKN
There used to be a CHP plane routinely patrol the I-15 frwy between Victorville, CA and Las Vegas.

I know a few people who got speeding tickets this way. Obviously, the plane works with an officer on the ground to issue tickets.

I don't know if a plane is still used or not.
I got 2 tickets from them! I still see the airplane between cajon and victorville often

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: CKN
There used to be a CHP plane routinely patrol the I-15 frwy between Victorville, CA and Las Vegas.

I know a few people who got speeding tickets this way. Obviously, the plane works with an officer on the ground to issue tickets.

I don't know if a plane is still used or not.
I got 2 tickets from them! I still see the airplane between cajon and victorville often

That means they like you
smile.gif

Speed=distance/time

Thought that was LIDAR. Non-transmitting speed measure method..

Someone mentioned "crosses," like X's?

LiDAR is light detection and ranging... it's an entirely handheld device and the police car needs to be stationary for the officer to use it. It has nothing to do with the VASCAR lines on the road, which are big white patches usually perpendicular to the rest of the lines.

I laugh every time I see those signs.
lol.gif
I don't believe I have ever seen a plane, or LIDAR, speed trap.

When was the last time speed was enforced by aircraft?

When was the last time speed limits were enforced by any means? What I see these days is a free-for-all because speed limits are no longer enforced, and people know they can get away with it...I don't mind people doing 5 or even 10 over the limit, but I see idiots all the time doing 20 or 30 over...that's getting a bit ridiculous...

Yeah I don't know why you'd bother stopping if you were on a "superbike", especially if you knew you got caught at a high enough speed to carry jail time. Just go for it, the bike should be faster than the plane if the plane wanted to pursue you.

Lol! You're not gonna outrun a plane on a bike, I don't care how fast the bike is...I'm sure the plane will have a radio too...

I saw these signs EVERYWHERE when I was in West Virginia / Virginia (passing through) 2 weeks ago. it was most ridiculous. How much money does that cost?

I actually saw 2 planes at two separate times circling in the sky. and people were pulled over every couple of miles. granted this was on July 4th, but the signs are obnoxious.

The only place I've seen the signs-at least where I travel semi-regularly-is on I-81 in Virginia(between Abingdon and Marion). At best, though, I travel one small stretch of that road twice a year, and often as infrequently as once. Since it's not ever on a holiday weekend and it's an isolated stretch of road, I've never seen the aircraft in action. I do watch for the lines
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: grampi
Yeah I don't know why you'd bother stopping if you were on a "superbike", especially if you knew you got caught at a high enough speed to carry jail time. Just go for it, the bike should be faster than the plane if the plane wanted to pursue you.

Lol! You're not gonna outrun a plane on a bike, I don't care how fast the bike is...I'm sure the plane will have a radio too...

That's some grade A ignorance right there. You'd be lucky to hit 140mph in a cessna, and at that speed you're going to start damaging the engine if you do it for more than a few minutes, especially at altitude. Planes don't pursue suspects for one, and if a heli starts chasing you, all you have to do is go by an airport and they're stuck outside the control area for several minutes until they get clearance.

Last edited:

That's some grade A ignorance right there. You'd be lucky to hit 140mph in a cessna, and at that speed you're going to start damaging the engine if you do it for more than a few minutes, especially at altitude. Planes don't pursue suspects for one, and if a heli starts chasing you, all you have to do is go by an airport and they're stuck outside the control area for several minutes until they get clearance.

The State Patrol here in MN uses Cessna 182s.

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
Never exceed speed: 175 knots (201 mph, 324 km/h)
Maximum speed: 150 knots (173 mph, 278 km/h)
Cruise speed: 145 knots (167 mph, 269 km/h)

Even if the bike can reach a higher ground speed than the plane, the bike has to follow the road and negotiate traffic. The plane can fly in a straight line and is doesn't have to deal with traffic.

Then go ahead and try to outrun one and see what happens...I'd bet a paycheck you'd end up in jail...

Then go ahead and try to outrun one and see what happens...I'd bet a paycheck you'd end up in jail...

Key is to GET OFF THE ROAD before whole force mobilizes.

Been there done that. Paycheck...

Key is to GET OFF THE ROAD before whole force mobilizes.

Been there done that. Paycheck...

Spoken like a true heathen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back