speaking of Generators ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: benjamming
I wonder why you felt you had to order a new engine from India to build a genset? That is only a 4K to 5KW genset - or that was one I saw at the end in a video. You can buy those here in the states for a LOT less than I'll bet you put in the engine along by the time it was shipped to USA, not counting the labor and parts...

Still interesting.

It's hard to defend. The engine cost $768, The shipping was about 300 (including hundreds of spares) and the generator head was $550. Plus I had to purchase steel, a pulley, a belt, and plenty of other bits and pieces. Plus a good bit of labor. Does it make sense? Only if you don't want to ruin a modern $5000 high pressure injection diesel engine running it on waste motor oil, waste veggie oil and waste jet fuel mixed with 2380.

The bottom line is that for 2K, I have a hand crank genset that will produce 11,000 watts maximum, 10,000 with ease. Has enough flywheel inertia to start any induction motor, is easy to fix, very robust and quite a bit of fun to tinker with (a major reason I did it).

It's also quite efficient, with fuel specifics on par with the best modern engines.

In my case, I can run my large Florida house to 100% normal capacity on 6 gallons of fuel per day. My Subaru genset consumes 15 plus gallons of gas and won't run the 5 ton AC.

Remember, my engine is not a single. It's a big bore twin.

Chris

Hey Cujet - is there any cheaper way that you're aware of to get a small, old-school single or twin diesel? Something your size is a little much for my tastes... I don't really know what I'd do with it other than tinker but watching all this really makes me want to fix up a diesel capable of burning waste oil.

Cujet you are truly a Craftsman! Your Lister isn't a generator, it's a piece of beautiful artwork! That tappida..tappida..pop.... is music to my ears.

Joel

I find used diesel engines on Ebay all the time. Quite often they can be had for a great deal.

Also, surpluscenter.com has new diesels for CHEAP.

Chris

Thanks for the nice comments.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I find used diesel engines on Ebay all the time. Quite often they can be had for a great deal.

Also, surpluscenter.com has new diesels for CHEAP.

Very cool, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back