SPC Suspension Parts

About 45K ago, I installed a pair of SPC rear upper control arms onto the wife’s 07 Accord. This was done to improve tire wear by bringing the rear camber closer to mid-spec.

Several weeks ago, we noticed an intermittent “pop/thud” from the rear suspension. Inspected revealed the passenger rear tire to be loose when shaken from the 12/6 o’clock position. The ball joint on this SPC arm had failed.

SPC informed me their “limited” lifetime warranty does not cover ball joint wear. The original arms removed at ~100K were in perfect condition - bushing and ball joint had no visible wear.

I ordered a replacement arm thru Rockauto. From the pictures, Moog repackages the SPC arm under #RK621873.

After removing the failed control arm, I noticed the bushing was also separated from the sleeve. I have never seen a bushing fail this catastrophically on a rear suspension after only ~45k. And yes, I had loaded the bushing before tightening.

I am very disappointed in SPC’s handling of this warranty claim. Unfortunately they are the only company that makes a sealed adjustable rear upper control arm for this car.

Attachments

• FD25B7AD-8364-4DA3-A312-A0531AC0CBA6.jpeg
    FD25B7AD-8364-4DA3-A312-A0531AC0CBA6.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 8A83C18A-B613-4F80-9F42-3C670BCF8914.jpeg
    8A83C18A-B613-4F80-9F42-3C670BCF8914.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 3A578F6A-F403-4F90-8393-5F4F6D8DEC0C.jpeg
    3A578F6A-F403-4F90-8393-5F4F6D8DEC0C.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 82
  • D6FCBF53-3919-4545-A277-B077C88845B6.jpeg
    D6FCBF53-3919-4545-A277-B077C88845B6.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Does it have to be adjustable? You'd be better off with Proforged non-adjustable.

Would it be possible to just replace the ball joint in the control arm you already have? Then you can install a Sankei 555 ball joint.

Does it have to be adjustable? You'd be better off with Proforged non-adjustable.

Would it be possible to just replace the ball joint in the control arm you already have? Then you can install a Sankei 555 ball joint.
Yes, it needs to be adjustable.
No, it is not possible to replace the ball joint with a standard ball joint. Take a look at how the SPC arm was constructed and it will be obvious.

Also, aside from marketing propaganda and your promotion of Proforged, I have not seen any evidence that their products are any better than the competition.

I have SPC arms on my 2015 Accord for the same reasons. They are surface rusted to hell and back. Bushings are starting to crack too. I’ve installed them 6 years ago and they have 100,000 miles on the parts.

I have SPC arms on my 2015 Accord for the same reasons. They are surface rusted to hell and back. Bushings are starting to crack too. I’ve installed them 6 years ago and they have 100,000 miles on the parts.
#67290?

No, it is not possible to replace the ball joint with a standard ball joint. Take a look at how the SPC arm was constructed and it will be obvious.

Also, aside from marketing propaganda and your promotion of Proforged, I have not seen any evidence that their products are any better than the competition.

What evidence do you want? In the salt belt they are much better at resisting corrosion. How many of their parts have you used and what has failed, did they warranty them?

What evidence do you want? In the salt belt they are much better at resisting corrosion. How many of their parts have you used and what has failed, did they warranty them?
Where are they made? China? Taiwan?
They are priced comparably to Moog R-Line, Mevotech Supreme, etc.

You can only build so much for that price point. What is Proforged able to do that the others are not? Proforge does not appear to be a large enough operation to own their own factories so they are likely just buying and reboxing like most of these other grands.

Also have not seen them as OE for any one.

Why do they need to be adjustable? Too much negative camber by design, or is something worn?

Why do they need to be adjustable? Too much negative camber by design, or is something worn?
Cumulative effect of slightly worn parts. Probably a combination of spring sag and normal wear in the rear suspension. It is cheaper to spend $120 for a pair of adjustable control arms than to install new springs and replace every bushing in the system.

Where are they made? China? Taiwan?
They are priced comparably to Moog R-Line, Mevotech Supreme, etc.

You can only build so much for that price point. What is Proforged able to do that the others are not? Proforge does not appear to be a large enough operation to own their own factories so they are likely just buying and reboxing like most of these other grands.

Also have not seen them as OE for any one.

What can OE do that others cannot? They all function the same but for how long that is the question. They are made in Taiwan, so what? Lots of quality stuff is coming from there these days. Like I asked how many have you used and how long did they last? Fair question as you are knocking them.

These are their specs what are the ones from Moog? They use good steel, good boots and resist rust and they last. I never had a problem with them.
Look again at the prices, they are not comparably priced to the Moog R line or supreme, they are a level above that, maybe no OE grade but certainly not bad at all for the money.

• SAE1045 forged steeling housings
  • Ball studs forged from ultra-strong SAE4140 chromoly steel
  • Ring-retained, accordion-style boot
  • CNC-milled fit surfaces

What can OE do that others cannot? They all function the same but for how long that is the question. They are made in Taiwan, so what? Lots of quality stuff is coming from there these days. Like I asked how many have you used and how long did they last? Fair question as you are knocking them.
The Taiwan stuff is generally better than China but as with anything, it depends on who is building the part and who the management is. From my experience with aftermarket, the China/Taiwan stuff is well below OE quality. For aftermarket suspension parts I have taken the "guilty until proven innocent approach" since I have been burned numerous times.

No, I have not used Proforged specifically but since their cost is right in-line with the other suspects, it is difficult to believe that they are better.

Look again at the prices, they are not comparably priced to the Moog R line or supreme, they are a level above that, maybe no OE grade but certainly not bad at all for the money.

2008 Toyota Camry V6, Front Lower Control Arm.
Very common application, probably over 2M units on the road.

Prices were from Rockauto:

Moog RK621477 (US VIN) $48.79
Moog RK642726 (Japan VIN) $59.79
Proforged 10810126 $60.79
Mevotech Supreme CMS86181 $63.79

Like I said, Proforged prices are right in-line with the competitors.

The Proforged looks like a steal being about the same as the Moog worthless line and yes I have used them and the quality is not very good.
If I understand this correctly....

No, I have not used Proforged specifically

Yet you knock them like someone who has had bad experience or at least knows someone that has bad experience with them. What about the materials the Moog are made of, are they the same, better or worse? There was a poster some time ago that had Moog problem solver tie rods totally drilled off center. Ok nuff said.

The Proforged looks like a steal being about the same as the Moog worthless line and yes I have used them and the quality is not very good.
If I understand this correctly....
Depends on the application. The last pair of control arms I used from them were made in taiwan by SH industries. "SH" was stamped on the ball joint and visible on the bushings. I posted some pictures in a different thread.

Yet you knock them like someone who has had bad experience or at least knows someone that has bad experience with them. What about the materials the Moog are made of, are they the same, better or worse? There was a poster some time ago that had Moog problem solver tie rods totally drilled off center. Ok nuff said.
I will try to find an opportunity to use Proforged arms and report back, but their availability appears to be extremely limited right now.

The Critic might make a good politician!

Trav respectfully calls him out (without character attack) on a product the Critic is making assumptions about. The Critic skillfully concedes, with a suggestion of maybe being wrong, without actually admitting it. LOL. Kudos to both of you for conducting an excellent discussion the way intelligent people should.

The Critic might make a good politician!

Trav respectfully calls him out (without character attack) on a product the Critic is making assumptions about. The Critic skillfully concedes, with a suggestion of maybe being wrong, without actually admitting it. LOL. Kudos to both of you for conducting an excellent discussion the way intelligent people should.
I have respect for them both - though, I know The Critic personally.

Back on topic, SPC is a “niche” line of alignment parts. Mostly shims, cam bolts and other things needed to keep a car or truck aligned. I’ve had an alignment guy tell me he has the most luck with their shims for live/solid axles but he’s not a fan of them due to potential ABS issues.

Depends on the application. The last pair of control arms I used from them were made in taiwan by SH industries. "SH" was stamped on the ball joint and visible on the bushings. I posted some pictures in a different thread.

I will try to find an opportunity to use Proforged arms and report back, but their availability appears to be extremely limited right now.

Try them on something cheap so you test the longevity. Living in the rust belt really takes its toll as far as corrosion is concerned and these hold up well.

Back