Spark plug

I have a poulan pr48bt the original plug and poulan recommended is a NGK BPMR7A. I can get my hands on the NGK as well as several cross referenced plugs that are compatible. Anyone recommend an alternative to the NGK.. or is that my best choice?

With essentially no small engine maintenance beyond sticking with factory parts.......
Gotta go with the factory recommended plug. NGKs are always "good" (whatever that means).
Simple engine simple enough stick with the NGK. 👍🏻😉

I've had great luck with NGK's in my small engines, never had a problem with fouling or wear. I made a big stink about it when I was younger, every plug in my equipment was NGK. Now that I'm older and wiser I would stick with the OE spec'd plug because its just easier than cross referencing part numbers for different brands, if you make a mistake you could damage your motor.

Personally I usually just clean the plugs for my small engines and use them again. Not because I'm cheap, but because I've never had any improvement in operation when the plugs were replaced. This only applies to plugs that are easy to access, if they're a PITA to get to I'll definitely just replace them with new.

FYI, I use NGK exclusively for my two stroke snowmobile engines, which be tough on the plugs. They are OE plugs on a few different maufacturers and are usually one of two sizes used on most manufactures engines. NGKs are available at every single store near and on the routes to snowmobile trails. I have never had an issue with the plugs and it was always easy to find them.

Last edited:
NGK is the best

The only other alternative worth using is the Autolite XST2974, which is iridium. If you don't care about iridium, stick with NGK

Never had an issue with NGK plugs. I've been using them exclusively for 20+ years in everything from the weed whacker and the mower, up to cars and trucks, anything that takes a spark plug. I pulled a set of NGK's out of a car that was purring like a kitten and replaced them with a new set from Bosch, it immediately started running rough, so I put some new NGK's in and it ran great again. Never looked back.

Last edited:
At least 8 yr old Poulan leaf blower. Last year replaced factory NGK plug with a Champion (only thing they had) Leaf blower within 3-4 runs started running bad an then wouldn't start. Glad I kept the NGK plug. Put it back in started and ran perfect. Ordered a factory NGK plug to put in. New plug in tool box.............original plug still happily firing away.

I've had great luck with NGK's in my small engines, never had a problem with fouling or wear. I made a big stink about it when I was younger, every plug in my equipment was NGK. Now that I'm older and wiser I would stick with the OE spec'd plug because its just easier than cross referencing part numbers for different brands, if you make a mistake you could damage your motor.

Personally I usually just clean the plugs for my small engines and use them again. Not because I'm cheap, but because I've never had any improvement in operation when the plugs were replaced. This only applies to plugs that are easy to access, if they're a PITA to get to I'll definitely just replace them with new.

FYI, I use NGK exclusively for my two stroke snowmobile engines, which be tough on the plugs. They are OE plugs on a few different maufacturers and are usually one of two sizes used on most manufactures engines. NGKs are available at every single store near and on the routes to snowmobile trails. I have never had an issue with the plugs and it was always easy to find them.
NGK are known to make some plugs for AC DELCO

NGK are known to make some plugs for AC DELCO
I have found that as well, it seems that a majority of AC Delco plugs are made by NGK. When I did the intake on my Chevy truck I put some plugs in it, I priced AC Delco and NGK, since they were both NGK's, the NGK's were cheaper, so I went with them.

What, nobody loves the Torch plugs that comes in a lot of today's outdoor equipment 🙄? I can't say they are horrible plugs for either 2 or 4 cycle engines BUT I noticed the equipment starts much easier with NGK and even Champion, but not as good as NGK. Torch replacement plugs are at least twice the cost of an NGK plug. The NGK plugs are about the same cost as the Champion plugs.

Went with NGK BPMR7A as per factory plug.. interesting to note while cleaning the foam filter I noticed a husqvarna stamping on the underside of the air box lid. New plug.. cleaned filter element.. tank of 50:1 premix fuel wanted to start 1st pull fired up 2nd pull I must say runs great better throttle response rpms climb nicely overall very happy. I'll see how the engeered fuel works for short term use. Its pricier than I like to admit. Probably switch back to 89 and pick up a few 50:1 bottles.

In all seriousness bosch does or did make good ope plugs. Stihl used them for years. I don't know if they still make them.

I haven't had a problem with E3 plugs in ope.

Back