Spark plug?? What's your favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best plugs: assuming your engine is not modded the ones spec'd in your owners manual.

I too have a Toyota and like NGKs or Denso and replace them once a year. My thinking: if Im going through the time and effort of pulling them, I would rather put in new ones then the old ones. Most likely overkill, but its only $8, so I do it.

Yes, that guy uses WAY to much anti sieze. I look at the old plugs to see how much of the threaded area is in the combustion chamber and lube only the threads that are NOT in the chamber. In my case, its the upper 40% of the threads.

Last edited:
If I'm going to use anti-seize, I only put it on the upper portion of the threads, the part that threads in last. Then I hand tighten the plug, and then back it out most of the way( to spread a little of the anti-seize on the lower threads). Then I screw it back in by hand and finally tighten it to spec.

NGK! Nobody knows porcelain like the Japanese...

As for the two-branded Tundra, reminds me of the Ford with waste spark (coil pack) ignition where they put platinum on the tips of some plugs and the grounds of others, depending on polarity of the ignition. Maybe toyota got good deals on each respective...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
NGK! Nobody knows porcelain like the Japanese...

Well, they make very good porcelain ponies, I guess their spark plugs should be good as well
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
Getting ready to do plugs in 2 different trucks.

Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L V6 and Toyota Tacoma 3.4L V6

Currently running NGK's in the Rodeo; factory plugs in the Tacoma

I'm NOT a fan of Bosch or Champion

Would like to hear your thoughts.

I have always had really great performance and longevity from NGK's and Champion copper plugs. I'm currently using NGK Iridium's in my Santa Fe and the engine performs great and the mileage is consistently great.

Originally Posted By: D189379
I've never noticed even the slightest performance difference between spark plug brands.

Anyone who says they received a real, significant, gain in power from swapping plugs is fooling thesmelves. You can get a few ponies by indexing your plugs, or messing with heat ranges, to optimize your ignition but it isn't actually the plugs( ie; brand/design/etc.. )doing it. The power comes from the total sum of optimizing your ignition system.

What someone who claims they saw a power increase really saw was a return to normal performance replacing old worn plugs with new properly gapped plugs, or smoother operation from a more efficient plug which made it feel like a power gain, but they didn't gain real, significant, power. These ad's claiming all these outrageous HP gains because a plug has this or that special design, runs a special alloy core that cost a bajillion dollars, etc... is just plain hooey.

What you can see is a smoother idle, slightly better/smoother acceleration, and longer plug life from a plug constructed to a higher manufacturing standard and that uses higher quality components. Champion plugs are flat out junk. They are made cheaply and they perform the same. NGK plugs are made to higher standards with better components and thus they last longer and "perform better" even though that does not mean a power increase.

Just my 2 pennies.

Oh, and btw, I haven't seen anyone mention Accel spark plugs. When offered for your application( not offered for everything )they are some pretty good plugs. I have always had good luck with them, especially in my MOPAR muscle cars, over the years. Wish I could get some to try in my HEMI to replace the OE [censored] Champions but they don't make them.

Last edited:
Denso or NGK with Denso preferred on the Rodeo if it has the ion sensing ignition. Most other brands will throw a code.

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
Getting ready to do plugs in 2 different trucks.

Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L V6 and Toyota Tacoma 3.4L V6

Currently running NGK's in the Rodeo; factory plugs in the Tacoma

I'm NOT a fan of Bosch or Champion

Would like to hear your thoughts.

I've had good luck with Champions so far. But I drive a Metro so if I lost any oomph I don't think I'd notice.
LOL.gif

I once found a few mismatched spark plugs in the basement and installed them. One AC, one Champion, one NGK v-split. All the same heat range (or at least all noted as acceptable). Couldn't tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
Champion plugs are not junk for Chrysler products.
In all the [censored] cans I have driven I have had these in it and never had a problem with the cars at all. Starting/Running/Emission tests etc.

I prefer NGK because I think it's a better plug, but never had a Champion go bad.
21.gif

Now Bosch is another story, these just make me
mad.gif
All the problems I have experienced with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back