Spark plug?? What's your favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprintman
NGK Iridium IX
+1 Put them in as OE replacement in a Civic. Got them at AAP, about $7.00 each, reasonable I thought. The NGK double platinums were quite a bit more expensive, and not in stock.

I prefer NGK but I currently have autolites in my F-150 and they are fine. I used to run AC-Delco in everything GM but I don't think they are what they used to be.
Accel plugs are Nippon-Denso.

I have actually been stranded 3 times by Champion plugs. On the water, on a bike, and before work.

Didn't mind missing work that bad.

New plugs. Replaced each time with NGK's - engines back to normal. I was a slow learning in my youth....

Champion. NEVER had a problem. Run them in the rototiller, both lawn mowers, push mowers, trimmer and snow blower and all our vehicles.

My brother had a couple of Bosch plugs blow their guts out. The bodies were left in the cylinder heads. The guts of one stayed with the spark plug wire. The other was never found.

Whatever is on sale. No Platinum plugs for my Jeep. They tend to make the ck engine light go on.

Usually Champion. Been using them all my life and never had a problem.

Last time I put plugs in the Jeep I used Autolites. I had a problem with Autolites 20 yrs ago but these seem fine. Just bought 8 Autolite #303's for my pickup last week.

Whatever is OEM on the car:
Denso and NGK for Japanese cars and everything else
OEM Bosch or Bosch Super on older German cars
Delco on GM
Motorcraft or Autolite on Ford.

Wow....heck of a lot of responses.

Thank you greatly.

FWIW - the Tacoma is a 2004 3.4L V6, don't know if that's considered 1st generation??

The Rodeo is a 1997 3.2L V6, it does not have the Ion sensing ignition. I believe that started in 2000 or 2002 can't remember for sure.

I do know the Rodeo is running NGK's now, haven't had any issues; so I'll buy new ones for both trucks.

Does the Tacoma NEED 2 different kinds of plugs for each bank?

These "spark" plugs you speak of? are they anything like glow plugs?
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
Does the Tacoma NEED 2 different kinds of plugs for each bank?

No, the best guess on the web is that Toyota likes to keep two sets of suppliers happy. My 05 Taco is the same way, Denso on one side, NGK on another.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Champion plugs are flat out junk.

We have to stop agreeing!

shocked2.gif
When did we start?
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
Champion plugs are not junk for Chrysler products.

A a lifelong MOPAR guy from the muscle car era to today I would disagree. Worst plug in general I have ever used and sold.

I'm sold on NGK copper plugs. copper is a better conductor that platinum; platinum just lasts longer.
FWIW, some cars do hate certain plugs. saturn S series flat out blow on platinums, only NGKs work well in them.
I just put NGKs in my VUE this year, and am running denso in my MPV.
I would offer that proper gap is very important, no such thing as 'pre-gapped'.

Recently I use the champion iridium, so far so good for been 30K.
I find it have same performance with denso and better lifetime due to platinum ground electrode.

I put a set of regular old Bosch Platinums in the 1997 Monte Carlo (3.1L) about 4 years ago and the engine has run beautifully.
I remember them having an odd appearance--the center electrode didn't protrude the same as a typical electrode.
I do worry a bit about the Bosch plugs, because I hear some negative stories about them. But, so far, they are performing very well.

For the mower, the Champion Easy Start (?) has worked well.

The Honda snowblower uses NGK.

Modern ignition systems are way overbuilt. This spark plug came from 2000 Maxima. It is original and has 140700 miles on it. The only reason it got replaced was because the corresponding ignition coil was becoming intermittent. However, when the coil was behaving OK, car drove beautifully without any trouble and with tremendous power. The coil giving trouble was from the rear bank and was the most difficult for accessibility. I replaced all the coils and the spark plugs. The original gap is 1.1 mm. Using a ruler, I am estimating that the gap after 140700 miles is 3 mm. It is amazing how well the car ran on these completely worn out plugs. The new coil and spark plugs kept the car driving as well as before.

The original were the NGK laser platinum and the replacement are NGK Irridium IX which are current OEM.

People who talk about putting snake oil plugs such as Splitfire and E3 needs to take a look at this example.

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back