Spark plug?? What's your favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't gap iridium ngk/denso, they say that explicitly on their sites. tt plugs are agiimick, i did not know they exist. agreed on copper ngk/denso - very good, iridiums simply last longer

The photo simply shows the plug killed by detonation. It is not plug quality issue, imo. Nevertheless i love ngk and denso built quality for the ceramics. Too bad too many design patents prevent the super plug sold cheap for masses

All six of them looked like that in my car when it came out after 140K miles. They were original NGK laser platinum. But the car still ran great before and after the plug change.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
The photo simply shows the plug killed by detonation. It is not plug quality issue, imo. Nevertheless i love ngk and denso built quality for the ceramics. Too bad too many design patents prevent the super plug sold cheap for masses

Yep, that's the car's fault, not the plug. I'm surprised to not see aluminum on the plug. When they get that bad -- it usually "holes" a piston. Get that checked out !!

Originally Posted By: Zedhed

Yep, that's the car's fault, not the plug. I'm surprised to not see aluminum on the plug. When they get that bad -- it usually "holes" a piston. Get that checked out !!

The car is fine... no oil consumption and runs good. All the other plugs looked good if something did get in there should of took another plug or two with it. Most likely the electrode fractured off and rounded off over time. Not saying those Bosch's are bad.. it happens and I've never seen it with all the different plug brands I've ran over the years.

DENSO`S!
grin2.gif
For obvious reasons.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Originally Posted By: Zedhed

The car is fine... no oil consumption and runs good. All the other plugs looked good if something did get in there should of took another plug or two with it. Most likely the electrode fractured off and rounded off over time. Not saying those Bosch's are bad.. it happens and I've never seen it with all the different plug brands I've ran over the years.

It's usually one cylinder when it happens -- it could be many things. Bad plug wire, bad stick-coil, bad cylinder, etc.

The telltale sign is the color of the insulator -- that insulator is totally white with no brown or black color. Cylinder is running way too hot. It will probably do the same thing with the next plug.

It won't hurt much more to replace the plug, but check the plug after a couple hundred miles and see if the insulator color is the same or darker. If it is darker, then the plug was the problem, if not better get it checked.

If you are not willing to accept that the motor could have mechanical problems, then why did you post the question in the first place? Never rule out the obvious when you are troubleshooting -- that's usually what it is.

Last edited:
I prefer Autolite plugs. They come in regular, platinum and double platinum. I think plugs with the black finish on the metal parts just seem to always be better for me. I once heard of a reason why they were better, but I can't remember why.

I'm kinda all over the place with plugs. I use ACDelco "Rapidfire" (#4's) in my '79 Cadillac because I like to keep it going with Delco parts. Have Bosch in my truck, and Champions in the wife's PT.

Originally Posted By: USA1
I prefer Autolite plugs. They come in regular, platinum and double platinum. I think plugs with the black finish on the metal parts just seem to always be better for me. I once heard of a reason why they were better, but I can't remember why.

Perhaps the black finish is a black-oxide coating that resists corrosion better than the other spark plugs?

I don't know what is used on other spark plugs to inhibit corrosion if anything at all.

Good thing there isn't any road salt where I work.

Answer: AC Delco Professional Iridium

(made and stamped by NGK in Japan)

Comments: I have read enough not to trust Bosch and there +4 designs. There is a new premium one from NGK or Denso ... Laser something which I am interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back