Spark plug?? What's your favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to do plugs in 2 different trucks.

Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L V6 and Toyota Tacoma 3.4L V6

Currently running NGK's in the Rodeo; factory plugs in the Tacoma

I'm NOT a fan of Bosch or Champion

Would like to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
Either NGK's or Denso's for both of your trucks. The factory plugs in your Tacoma is either NGK or Denso or a mix of them, just FYI.

Personally my favorite is the NGK's Iridium IX (won't have to change them as often) for the Tundra and NGK V-Power for the 4Runner.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me I like performance, so currently my choice is always iridium (NGK, Champion or Denso).
I have tried others, result is not good, eg. Autolite (too hot that cause pinging) or Bosch (too big gap for standard ignition).

The key thing is to match your ignition system, timing and the gap, this will make a big difference except for Denso with 0.4 mm tip.
When you use high power ignition system be careful when you use plug with small tip, because it may overheat and cause knocking or the plug lasts very short. Some NGK Iridium IX model also have platinum tip, that will last 100k.

If buy new car, you might be lucky if the car comes with Denso SIP plug, that is the ultimate plug in the market, however they do not sell the model that fit other car to the public yet.

It is too bad limited option for plug available is just because the patents that make manufacturer do not earn enough and do not want to manufacture it.

With newer cars OEM spec. No running problems or odd CEL's.

Does it really make that large of difference? I still get regular MPG with overdue plugs at 75k(60k interval) on my turbo Subaru Legacy. I skipped changing as ran out of free credit card rewards during major service. They want $350 to change the plugs on my turbo engine at the dealer. I have not inquired with independent(Subaru master mechanic yet).

My MPG remains at a steady 23MPG (same as new).

The second generation Tacoma V-6 comes with NGK on one bank and Denso on the other. Not sure why that is, but most report that fact. Not sure if that's also true for the first gen like yours.

The second gen Tacoma's with the 4 cyl come from the factory with iridium plugs that they say are good for 100k. For some reason most recommendations say not to use the iridiums in the V-6. Again, not sure exactly why.

Here is a tutorial about how to change them on the second gen. This guy recommends replacing all 6 plugs with Denso from the Toyota dealer.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/30479-how-spark-plug-change-1-gr-fe.html

Hope this helps, good luck with your project :)

Originally Posted By: hate2work

The second generation Tacoma V-6 comes with NGK on one bank and Denso on the other. Not sure why that is, but most report that fact. Not sure if that's also true for the first gen like yours.

I've heard that, too. I wonder why Toyota does it.

The 2002 Tacoma 3.4L V6 in my driveway has all Denso plugs.

Like Eddie said, stick with OEM or a reasonable equivalent. This is the spark plug engineers use during engine development and testing.

BTW and maybe a bit
32.gif
I got a notice from my NGK direct distributor yesterday saying NGK is raising pricing for certain plugs. Sounds like it's only powersport/offroad/mc plugs....so far.

Originally Posted By: D189379
I've never noticed even the slightest performance difference between spark plug brands.

I have to agree.

The differences that I've noticed between spark plug brands is that for the same application, some brands (like NGK) will have three plugs that cover a given heat range, while other brands (like Autolite or Champion) cover the same heat range with just one plug, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back