Spark Plug Sticker Shock

Just another warning, to add to all the rest, do NOT buy spark plugs from amazon.

It's getting to the point that I don't buy anything from Amazon that I care about. Even if it appears 100% genuine, somehow products I buy from amazon just seem to have problems, like they were QC seconds that were supposed to be discarded or something. This has happened too many times to be a coincidence. Go buy the identical thing from Home Depot or whatever, and it's fine. So there's more too it than just actual knock-offs.

I still buy certain things from amazon that I ultimately don't care about that much and it's convenient compared to going to a local store and paying 5x as much for something just as junky. Just don't buy anything that matters.

You replace your brake rotors three times in 100k miles???
Its just another one of his made up arguments.

He says people replace them 3x in 100k miles but then he would only replace 1 rotor not as pairs.. ;)
Puts both new tires on one side of car for the look from curb too 😂🤣 cant make this stuff up.

Hint rotors are cheap.. dont skimp on brakes.
PS. my oem rotors and pads are at 55k and under half worn.

FWIW dont buy spark plugs from amazon at all or from ebay unless its a huge parts store seller.. ie 100k+ feedback 99.5%+
even then I'd prefer dealer or local .. huge amount of fake/counterfeit spark plugs out there.

Just another warning, to add to all the rest, do NOT buy spark plugs from amazon.

It's getting to the point that I don't buy anything from Amazon that I care about. Even if it appears 100% genuine, somehow products I buy from amazon just seem to have problems, like they were QC seconds that were supposed to be discarded or something. This has happened too many times to be a coincidence. Go buy the identical thing from Home Depot or whatever, and it's fine. So there's more too it than just actual knock-offs.

I still buy certain things from amazon that I ultimately don't care about that much and it's convenient compared to going to a local store and paying 5x as much for something just as junky. Just don't buy anything that matters.
Not sure I'd buy anything from them if that were factual.

When I bought new plugs for my 06 Acura TL, the OE NGK Laser Iridium were $15.99 a piece at Napa, but were on sale for $12.79 at the time. I wouldn’t buy plugs these days from ebay or Amazon.

There is no indication that buying NGK plugs directly from Amazon (as opposed to a third-party seller) will result in fake plugs. Here is information from NGK to help in identifying genuine products:

Thank you for the link. I actually just received four DILKAR6A11's from RA for a '14 Rogue Select.

Based upon their checks there these appear legit

I don't but if brake pads last 30,000 miles, that's 3 times in 100k miles, and most shops will tell you the rotors need to be replaced at the same time.
I can’t imagine telling a customer how long to expect brakes to last. WAY too dependent on driving habits and situations.

30k probably is about right for rears on an F350 pulling a stock trailer regularly. 15-20k even if it’s a 450-550 boom truck. Then Joe Fuelmizer might get 200k out of a set of pads on his Fusion with a daily interstate commute and Brenda Soccermom getting 90k from carpooling the kids around in her Explorer. Then you’ve got those that drive with a foot on each pedal.

Google the return address. It will lead you to where they came from.
I was gonna post that but it was just a "RockAuto Returns" address and it occurred to me it didn't necessarily originate from there -- that's simply where they'd want it shipped back to if refused or undeliverable.

Tracking would tell me if it started at the same place (city) as the return address printed on the label...

but again, these do appear legit so I have no complaints.

So, I can offer a sample of one for legit NGK's from RA, ordered in April '22

What happened to the days of $ .79 copper core plugs and $.1.29 platinum? Actually I've bought Bosch platinum for my Fords for under $1. each from RA. Not only are the plugs priced ridiculous now you often have to take the car half apart to change them. Changing plugs on my Nissan involves removing the intake. Back in the '70's I thought it was ridiculous to have to go through the fender well to get to the plugs on some V8's. Today that would be a piece of cake.

I don't but if brake pads last 30,000 miles, that's 3 times in 100k miles, and most shops will tell you the rotors need to be replaced at the same time.
Luckily, I don't do a lot of city driving. My last several sets of brake pads have lasted me 100K+ miles. Even when I drove in Charlotte on a daily basis I'd get 100K out of set of brake pads. Last set of brake pads I changed were at 135K IIRC and I suspect the shoes were the originals at about 215K. Neither the pads were into the rotors nor shoes into the drums. I just replaced the pads/shoes and kept on driving.

Last edited:
The problem with Rock Auto is they are they are not an authorized retailer of NGK products and they do not stock any themselves they rely on on other peoples warehouse.
I spoke with NGK some time ago and they said the most fakes come from Amazon, ebay and to my surprise Rock. I have no idea how true this is but it is what I was told. They also said AA, AZ, Napa and other chain stores are authorized retailers and actually stock the products.
With so many fakes on the market, buyer beware.
The distributors where Rockauto gets the plugs are "authorized" though...

1651594570327.jpg

Sounds pretty normal for Double Iridium NGK lasers. If you want to save some money and your engine is easy to do plugs on you could go with Iridium IX or even double platinum, just have to keep in mind those have to be replaced every 50k instead of 100k.

I just put a set of NGK laser iridiums in a 2011 Sonata
4 plugs for $62 delivered has to be something of a deal these days
Advance wanted $35+ EACH for DILKR6C11
Glad they last 100k these days 😓

Reactions: D60
Have a 2016 Accord and wanted to get the correct spark plugs, GDI. Went to one of those after market OEM parts dealers and couldn’t believe the price…OEM or NGK for $43.67/ea, on “sale” for $32.75/ea. Found them on Amazon for $17.91/ea, but still. Not sure what the recommended change frequency is, but may have to push that out?

good lord, I put E3 diamond fires in my 2005 Jeep 2 weeks ago for ~$7 per plug. No way I would spend that much on plugs...

Just my $0.02

I guess I got lucky with our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer. I bought the Motorcraft Iridium spec'd plugs from RA for about $4.50 each, maybe 1 1/2 years ago. From everything I see they are made by NGK for Ford. They have been performing fine for the last 1 1/2 years.

I just put a set of NGK laser iridiums in a 2011 Sonata
4 plugs for $62 delivered has to be something of a deal these days
Advance wanted $35+ EACH for DILKR6C11
Glad they last 100k these days 😓
It's pretty easy to tell AA to get bent. Still going to AZ solely for Castrol Transmax CVT and that's about it. Napa for my belts,spark plugs,etc. Walmart right now for the 7317 and the M1EP or Castrol EP 5w30.

I'm thankful I laid into car parts 1-2 years ago, sorta predicting these shortages, inflation, etc. I bought a bunch of things that I knew I'd need in the next 1-2 years at very low prices. Oil, belts, filters, plugs, etc. The common plugs I got went up 20-25%. Others up by 50%. The more boutique ones went up by more than double!!!!

Back