Spark Plug Sticker Shock

All products are going up so fast all AND all at once that we're feeling the drain in our wallets more now than in many other times of the past. Maybe not all ears that we didn't live it and don't know about but, we're feeling the pain because EVERYTHING is going up in price at the same time. Not just product dependent, it's EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE!

FOOD
FUAL
UTILITIES
APPLIANCES
ELECTRONICS
VEHICLES
HOMES
PARTS
PARTS for PARTS
SERVICES
and other things that escape me right now.

Coincidentally, I just this morning purchased 4 iridium plugs for the Camry from O'Reilly for $9.99 each + tax. I mention this because they may be a good option for some folks.

Did you check auto parts stores? I bought ngk iridiums a year ago for about 11 bucks each at o'reillys.

I just quickly checked prices now and they're not that much more. I checked 2016 accord 4 cyl prices and they're not that bad. I've used bosch, autolite, ac delco, motorcraft, and champion plugs on many cars and trucks. Had no issues. I doubt autolites or champions will be bad. I've used them in my old ranger, s10, mitsu l200, f150 and suburban with no issues.

Worst case scenario id get the ngk g power platinums for $5 each and change them again in like 40k miles to see if prices have settled. An ngk g power should last around that long or more in a GDI.

For something that gets replaced every 100,000 miles, it's not too expensive on a cost per mile basis. A set of pads and rotors cost more and you will change them 2 or 3 times it those miles. Plugs for my Honda Insight list for $27 and can only be found at the dealer, the correct indexed plugs at least. Luckily they only take three of them.

I put the Laser NGK's in my Tuscon based on price alone. In these cars they say 30k or 45k miles to change them out, so they will be good enough.

Oof, I remember reading about counterfeit NGK plugs. I hope the ones I just put in are legit, I did get them from Amazon. They certainly looked like the ones that came out and it's running fine.

I would compare the pictures NGK supplies to anything you see on line and then again when you receive them. Why not just pull a plug and see the condition. You may be good for anohter 10k, 20k or 50k who knows? I do not think prices will be correcting anytime soon. China still has lock downs. They do not mind gauging the west. Prices are kinda nuts.
BTW. The dip in Amazon stock price was due to their investment in electric trucks. The rest of their business is doing just fine.

For something that gets replaced every 100,000 miles, it's not too expensive on a cost per mile basis. A set of pads and rotors cost more and you will change them 2 or 3 times it those miles. Plugs for my Honda Insight list for $27 and can only be found at the dealer, the correct indexed plugs at least. Luckily they only take three of them.
You replace your brake rotors three times in 100k miles???

That is a 3rd party site not affiliated with NGK?
"NGK.com specializes in hard to find NGK products. We are not NGK Spark Plugs USA. To contact them, click here."
I dont see where it says they are an authorized retailer but their site looks like 2005 came back.

Also not sure why people keep bringing up amazon's financial "problems" in this thread

A giant part of their recent loss was their rivian investment which took a rollercoaster 20x their initial investment which was reported.. then its dropped like a rock this year.
they "lost" 70% of that value but its still 5x+ their initial investment..

1 more reason to drive an older vehicle. Platinum plugs seem to be significantly cheaper than Iridium. $8.69 each for Motorcrafts in my Mustang.

There is 0 chance I would put off changing spark plugs because of the cost.....even if they cost me $30 each.

Did you check auto parts stores? I bought ngk iridiums a year ago for about 11 bucks each at o'reillys.

I just quickly checked prices now and they're not that much more. I checked 2016 accord 4 cyl prices and they're not that bad. I've used bosch, autolite, ac delco, motorcraft, and champion plugs on many cars and trucks. Had no issues. I doubt autolites or champions will be bad. I've used them in my old ranger, s10, mitsu l200, f150 and suburban with no issues.

Worst case scenario id get the ngk g power platinums for $5 each and change them again in like 40k miles to see if prices have settled. An ngk g power should last around that long or more in a GDI.
Post #8 of this thread OP says he found them for $27 ea at O'Reilly

All products are going up so fast all AND all at once that we're feeling the drain in our wallets more now than in many other times of the past. Maybe not all ears that we didn't live it and don't know about but, we're feeling the pain because EVERYTHING is going up in price at the same time. Not just product dependent, it's EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE!

FOOD
FUAL
UTILITIES
APPLIANCES
ELECTRONICS
VEHICLES
HOMES
PARTS
PARTS for PARTS
SERVICES
and other things that escape me right now.

In the store (Wally World) right now, this window wash was $2.50 last year.

Attachments

• DC4EEA8E-399E-426B-8DAB-B6D3263CA0DC.jpeg
    DC4EEA8E-399E-426B-8DAB-B6D3263CA0DC.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 41
These things are replaced every 100,000 miles. That's the good news. EVERYTHING is going up. No need to do a "money flush" and replace earlier.

In the store (Wally World) right now, this window wash was $2.50 last year.
Funny, I've noticed that, too. I just buy the basic blue -20 and just a few years ago it was $1.59/jug. Now it's $3. Nearly 100% inflation

Have a 2016 Accord and wanted to get the correct spark plugs, GDI. Went to one of those after market OEM parts dealers and couldn’t believe the price…OEM or NGK for $43.67/ea, on “sale” for $32.75/ea. Found them on Amazon for $17.91/ea, but still. Not sure what the recommended change frequency is, but may have to push that out?

Did I miss it? How many miles on the car? If it is under 90K smiles I would not bother.
But Double super fine wire IDK, Never had that on an OE plug.

Back