Spark plug replacement 2015 Lexus GS 350

Just finished replacing the spark plugs on my Lexus 2GR-FSE engine. Followed DIY Dan YouTube video.

Being a north south engine configuration, I figured it was definitely doable by a dentist. Biggest problem was bulky wiring harnesses that block access to the coil packs and figuring how to release the electrical clips. The plugs only have 60k miles and really did not look bad, but despite being iridium they required replacement to maintain the emissions warrant. I think I will leave these in for at least 100k.

The video says it should take about an hour. I completed it in three! I will try to post pictures of the spark plug, but now I am enjoying a Buffalo Trace bourbon.

60K means you have the F Sport, right? Or do all the GS spec the 60K plug service?
gs350 back.jpg

but despite being iridium they required replacement to maintain the emissions warrant. I think I will leave these in for at least 100k.

The video says it should take about an hour. I completed it in three! I will try to post pictures of the spark plug, but now I am enjoying a Buffalo Trace bourbon.
Emissions? Or to ensure they don’t seize up?

Just finished replacing the spark plugs on my Lexus 2GR-FSE engine. Followed DIY Dan YouTube video.

Being a north south engine configuration, I figured it was definitely doable by a dentist. Biggest problem was bulky wiring harnesses that block access to the coil packs and figuring how to release the electrical clips. The plugs only have 60k miles and really did not look bad, but despite being iridium they required replacement to maintain the emissions warrant. I think I will leave these in for at least 100k.

I hope you never have to do the water pump, took me two days to do that crap.

Nice GS! I have a 14 in black. I recall the clips on the plugs, they can take a little finagling to get a feel for them. They aren’t unlike the clips on a halogen headlamp bulb - familiarity makes it easier. Nice work. I pulled the plugs when I bought mine at 71k. Assuming they were original, they weren’t in bad shape, probably could have made it to 100k, but I replaced them to be certain.

my rear passenger side plug looked a little different than the others, a slight white powder on them such as fuel contaminants or (hopefully not) signs of burning antifreeze ever so slightly. Were yours all consistent looking?

Don't do it. You will end up changing coils too.

Nice GS! I have a 14 in black. I recall the clips on the plugs, they can take a little finagling to get a feel for them. They aren’t unlike the clips on a halogen headlamp bulb - familiarity makes it easier. Nice work. I pulled the plugs when I bought mine at 71k. Assuming they were original, they weren’t in bad shape, probably could have made it to 100k, but I replaced them to be certain.

my rear passenger side plug looked a little different than the others, a slight white powder on them such as fuel contaminants or (hopefully not) signs of burning antifreeze ever so slightly. Were yours all consistent looking?
I posted a second thread with pictures of the plugs. All the spark plug tips looked exactly the same. Here is a link to those pics

Last edited:
If that year GS requires 60k mile intervals with the plugs, it's a direct injected engine. I would also advise to do no more than 5k mile oil changes unless your driving is 90% highway speeds, sustained. If the plugs looked good at 60k, that's good. I'd stay with that program.

As a fellow dentist all I can say is I change oil, oil filters, cabin filters, air filters, and rotate tires and that’s it. I can do a pulp/SSC on a squirrelly 5 year old old in 8 mins flat but not much else on car.

It’s also because I’m mostly not interested and value my time more than paying my mechanic. ;)

If that year GS requires 60k mile intervals with the plugs, it's a direct injected engine. I would also advise to do no more than 5k mile oil changes unless your driving is 90% highway speeds, sustained. If the plugs looked good at 60k, that's good. I'd stay with that program.
I do replace oil every 5k miles. The engine is both direct and port fuel injected.

Back