Spark Plug Help

I have a ride on Husqvarna and I would like to change the plug. I don't have the manual and other identifying parts are painted over.

Does it matter what type of plug I get and if so, how can I get the correct one?

To be correct we need to know the model of the mower and what brand and size engine is in it.
You should be able to locate a copy of the owners manual. It would give the specifications for the engine.

The fail safe way is to take one out and look at the number.
My JD X320 had one number hotter than the manual said.
Has anyone tried iridium or platinum plugs in their lawn tractors?

The engine make and model number is important.
You can always pull a plug and get the plug make and number.
There isn’t a one plug that fits all mowers.

tried iridium or platinum plugs in their lawn tractors
I have not, but I am not sure how much they would help? Just asking - no expert.

My limited understanding.

A platinum plug might last longer, but would it fire hot enough with the relatively low voltage magneto ignition than a standard copper core which has less internal resistance?

A Iridium definitely has more internal resistance. Its primary benefit beyond longevity would be that it has a cleaner spark, for fast fire under higher compression. Again - what I have been told or read

I would also be interested to know?

I have not, but I am not sure how much they would help? Just asking - no expert.

My limited understanding.

A platinum plug might last longer, but would it fire hot enough with the relatively low voltage magneto ignition than a standard copper core which has less internal resistance?

A Iridium definitely has more internal resistance. Its primary benefit beyond longevity would be that it has a cleaner spark, for fast fire under higher compression. Again - what I have been told or read

I would also be interested to know?
Platinum or Iridium plugs are not necessary in lawn mowers. Copper core spark plugs are all that’s needed in mowers.

The fail safe way is to take one out and look at the number.
My JD X320 had one number hotter than the manual said.
Has anyone tried iridium or platinum plugs in their lawn tractors?
My understanding is that "fine wire" plugs are commonly used for high energy applications. I've never heard of them being used for small engine applications. I am not an expert by any means.

Buy the same SP that is installed on the engine or the exact cross reference part of other brands

I have a ride on Husqvarna and I would like to change the plug. I don't have the manual and other identifying parts are painted over.

Does it matter what type of plug I get and if so, how can I get the correct one?
Pull the plug, it'll have a number on it. Go to your local parts store with it and tell em you want 2 of them.

Last year I put Champion RN14YC plugs in my 726cc Kawasaki engine. It was the closest plug Canadian Tire had that day to the original.
The engine runs better now and the used oil doesn’t smell like gasoline anymore. I think one of the spark plugs was defective from the factory.
To answer the platinum or iridium question I’ll run out and buy a couple of plugs and try them out.
What would be a good cross over suggestion to the RN14YC?

Bpr5eix. Double check the specs though.
I found Champion RN14PMC #3405 and
RN14PYP #7322 listed for the 22hp Kawasaki on the Champion site. Stock replacement is RN14YC #405CC.
The plugs I took out were NGK BPR4ES
14mm thread, 19mm reach, projected tip, flat base, compression washer and 13/16 socket.
Edit; the Ngk’s look good and are in stock for $15 C$ which works out to $11.70 USD for a two pack, and I get 10% back in Canadian Tire money today.

Last edited:
Bpr5eix. Double check the specs though.
Got them. I’ll try them out with the wide pre-gap first.
Also got a 5L jug of 20w50 gtx api sp and a fram ultra 3600.
2012 JD X320
Edit; Started right up with the new plugs after sitting for 10 days.

Last edited:
The standard copper cored replacement would have worked just fine too. Started easier, I doubt it.

I dunno about that. I did it as an experiment in my V-twin Kohler. With the factory plugs at 50 hours it would not start without choke.

With NGK Iridium plugs, it will start with the throttle at idle as long as you crank it long enough. Before, no amount of cranking would start it.

I have a habit of letting the mower crank a few seconds before putting the choke on, just to give it a chance to splash some oil around. After the Irridiums, it will fire off more times than not whereas it never did that before.

Now, I'm not saying run out and replace all your plugs with them, I got them on a deal and if I had to pay full price, the regular NGK's would go right back in, but I think there might be at least a little bit of something to it.

Sample size of 1, this information is worth what you paid for it, etc etc.

I dunno about that. I did it as an experiment in my V-twin Kohler. With the factory plugs at 50 hours it would not start without choke.

With NGK Iridium plugs, it will start with the throttle at idle as long as you crank it long enough. Before, no amount of cranking would start it.

I have a habit of letting the mower crank a few seconds before putting the choke on, just to give it a chance to splash some oil around. After the Irridiums, it will fire off more times than not whereas it never did that before.

Now, I'm not saying run out and replace all your plugs with them, I got them on a deal and if I had to pay full price, the regular NGK's would go right back in, but I think there might be at least a little bit of something to it.

Sample size of 1, this information is worth what you paid for it, etc etc.
Doesn't sound like a very scientific test to me to prove anything.

Back