SP-III replacement for out of warranty Kia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used Maxlife in my Kia and Hyundai that called for SPiii. Worked well and both went to 200k without a problem, sold them both with great shifting transmissions.

I did have a problem in the Kia Sedona with the SPIII "breaking down", turning dark, and causing shifting problems during long drives in hot weather. That was when I switched to Maxlife and never had a problem since. I now use maxlife in all my vehicles, 2 Hondas and 2 Toyotas

I recently did a flush on a Tucson using Mobil 3309 from my stash, it's shifting normally (see post in ATF section). Fluid coming out was filthy; not anymore!

Unit has 175k kms; I drove it again today, no issues.

Just my 2c.

Does anyone know what the OEM SP-III spec is for viscosity at 100 degrees?

I have been running Maxlife ATF in my Hyundai for a couple of years now and it runs quite well but I noticed when looking at the data sheet for Maxlife that the viscosity is 5.91 whilst for the Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle it is 6.9.

Which is closer to the OEM spec?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mannyhs
Does anyone know what the OEM SP-III spec is for viscosity at 100 degrees?

I have been running Maxlife ATF in my Hyundai for a couple of years now and it runs quite well but I noticed when looking at the data sheet for Maxlife that the viscosity is 5.91 whilst for the Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle it is 6.9.

Which is closer to the OEM spec?

I forget the exact number but when I looked into this last year but I deccided to use the Valv Multi Import over the VML due to it being closer to the OEM SP-III spec. Many seem to run VML with no issues and it is possible the SP-III is shearing below that of the VML but I am only speculating.

I'm starting to wonder if Maxlife is too thin. I checked other data sheets for multi-vehicle ATFs (Pennzoil, Amsoil, VML and Valvoline Import) and Maxlife is the thinnest.

I really like Valvoline products. Anyone know where to get Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle in Canada?

Originally Posted By: mannyhs
I'm starting to wonder if Maxlife is too thin. I checked other data sheets for multi-vehicle ATFs (Pennzoil, Amsoil, VML and Valvoline Import) and Maxlife is the thinnest.

I really like Valvoline products. Anyone know where to get Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle in Canada?

My NAPA sells Valvoline; never heard of IMV from Valvoline though. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Isn't MaxLife considered MV?

Last edited:
"My NAPA sells Valvoline; never heard of IMV from Valvoline though. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Isn't MaxLife considered MV?"

It is MV and I am currently using it but IMV has a higher operating viscosity that may be closer to the SPIII spec than Maxlife.

No luck trying to locate it in Canada so far

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back