Soup Beans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not bean soup, "soup beans". I was looking for a simple dish to make with some random stuff I had around the kitchen, and came across recipes for down south soup beans.

Basically I used leftover dried beans from a 13 bean chili mix, peppered bacon, onion and garlic. Plus a few pinches of salt. Simmered the beans until soft and a thick sauce had formed. Cooked the bacon, crumbled it, and threw it in. Browned the onion and garlic in a bit of leftover bacon grease. Added salt.

Wow, I didn't think it would turn out nearly as good. It has a nice earthy, hearty flavor with just a hint of spice from the pepper. Perfect winter food. I had to stop "tasting" it because that's my lunch for the week and it needs to last a few days at least!

Maybe next time I'll add some mushrooms.....

I'm sure the boys in the shop will appreciate all that fiber.
smiley-fart006.gif

Actually, I eat WAY more fiber than the average American, so the gaseous emissions shouldn't be a problem.

Tomorrow's "time at the office" should be smooth sailing, though.
cool.gif

I don't know how you prepare your beans, but if you soak them for at least 12 hours in water before cooking them, you'll produce much less gas. If you remove the skins from the soaked beans, you might not be honking at all.
wink.gif

Where's the fun in that?

Beans, beans, the musical fruit
the more you eat the more you toot
the more you toot the better you feel
beans, beans, for every meal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back