Sorry Dex Cool haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had to replace the water pump on my 2004 5.3 silverado with dex cool. 113,500mi and going strong (I have uoa's posted too). I asked them how the coolant and cooling system looked. Looked great, no issues they said. This was the first major non maintenance item I have ever done to the truck.

Well, I'm glad to hear that it did not cause issues in your case, but I still fail to see the point of this thread. Most Dex-Cool users don't have issues, it's just the ones with problematic cooling system designs (GM LIM) or mixing with other fluids that have the problems.

With no cooling system issues why then the water pump change?

The original post is somewhat of an oxymoron.

I kinda agree with the above guys...if it works, you just keep using it.

I've had no issues with mine, and all three with get filled with dex once again....

The negative dex cool junk (holy cow it would not take c%^p) is all over the place here. Just cruise this forum.

And the water pump developed a leak at the seal. What, now the coolant causes seal failures? Give me a break.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
With no cooling system issues why then the water pump change?

The original post is somewhat of an oxymoron.

A water pump going after 100k is not the fault of the antifreeze. It is a result of age.

In regards to Dex, I agree that the issues with dex are related to the way the systems were designed and the materials used in making the gaskets. Dex itself is a good formulation and if it was THAT bad then GM would have moved onto something else. Plain and simple.

on that note I don't wish to participate in a dex argument. I am glad it is working in your application and hope it gives you many more years of success!

To the OP-

Did you see the water pump or the inside of the cooling system, or just take the counter person at his/her word?

Last edited:
I did not comment to contribute to this thread because I am a "Dex-Cool Hater".
One of your coolants jobs is to help protect the seal of the water pump, and I realize the age of the vehichle posted above.

With saying that I have more than a few friends with Chevrolet products that have had early water pump failures, one Tahoe with approx. 35,000 mi. they bought new.
I don't know if the seal failure is coolant related or poor quality control at the time of assembly or sub-par water pumps.

To start a post stating that the cooling system looked great at just over 100,000 mi. because you are in there replacing the water pump sounds like you are overlooking the obvious. Something caused the seal failure.

This post is like playing Russian Roulette and claiming its fine, ignoring the one sixth of people getting a bullet in the head.

Yeah, age. Sheesh.

I took the OWNER's (of the service facility) word, and this is a reputable shop I have used for years. They don't blow smoke.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
This post is like playing Russian Roulette and claiming its fine, ignoring the one sixth of people getting a bullet in the head.

Driving a vehicle at all would also be analogous. If you ask enough people if they have had a problem with something, you will find a few who have. People a far more likely to complain than to report positive experiences. I appreciate the OP posting a positive report and attempting to balance the argument.

EXACTLY! People blame dex because it's dex. IF that were true my cooling system would be trashed. OTHER things cause the problems they complain about and blame on dex.

good old green antifreeze never hurt anyone. and i made my choice on taste dexcool burns going down and is sour!!!
crackmeup2.gif
just kidding by the way don't drink antifreeze its not as tasty as it may look.

I flushed out the dexcool my dad's 98 S10 this weekend. The radiator and coolant overflow tank looked very clean. The old fluid looked pretty good too. I refilled with Prestone AMAM type because it is cheaper than the Prestone Dexcool. The ingredients are exactly the same too. Only the color is different. The S10 didn't have a sealed system either. The truck only has 47000 miles, so that may have helped too.

7-10 years is normal to me when I would expect to a water pump failure. I have seen water pumps fail in this time frame with every type of coolant used. Anyone blaming dex-cool for this particular failure is just incorrect. Do not worry dex-cool will live on in many more applications for many more years.

Or it will do to you what it did to my company van's mechanic's parts runner 4.3 S-10-cause a thrown rod and blown engine with little or no warning (LIM gasket failure, dumped into the crankcase)!!

From what I understand, the main problem with "Death-Cool" is when air pockets are present in the cooling system. It somehow gets churned in with the coolant and gels it.

21.gif
Pretty unpleasant thing to happen. Most people would be able to avoid this with a little maintenance but you know how people are.

Slightly off-topic: I don't know if Mazda OE coolant has the same orange dye as "Death-Cool" or not, but it is some persistant stuff. I flushed at 50,000, 100,000 and again sometime just before 120,000 when the thermostat housing started leaking from a flaw in the molding process (thanks Ford).

The coolant still turned orange within a week or so. Virtually all the cooling system components and hoses on the backside of the engine were replaced. I still have orange coolant. It's much lighter orange now but it is still orange.
lol.gif
That is some serious dye.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Or it will do to you what it did to my company van's mechanic's parts runner 4.3 S-10-cause a thrown rod and blown engine with little or no warning (LIM gasket failure, dumped into the crankcase)!!

This is NOT a deathcool problem. It's a poor gasket design.

Ford even is using Dex!

And air in the system is not a problem either, just another case of "internet amplification'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back