Sorry Dex Cool haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
113K out of a water pump isn't very good these days. Did it need to be replaced or was this preventive maintenance?

Yeah tell that to my mustang that failed before 80K or that some owners just replace the water pump at around 100K as a preventive maintenance measure.

Just spend some time on a Ford Ranger forum you will see that it is common for a water pump to fail between 6 and 10 years since the OP got 113K and over 8 years of service this was not bad at all.

I've spent plenty of time on Ranger boards, 113K miles is not that great out of a water pump. Mine is 10 years old with 125K miles and is doing fine. It has only had G-05 in it...coincidence?

Well consider yourself lucky because I counted 8 different owners that have replaced their 2002 Ford Ranger water pumps in 2010-11 all with less than 120K.

8 out of how many? Ford sold more than 225,000 Rangers in 2002.

I bet you can find more than 8 cases of Dex Cool tearing up a cooling system.

The reason for entering into this discussion in the first place was because it seemed like a premature failure to me.
I've been driving for over 30 years and never had to replace a water pump in any vehicle, including my wifes, or any of my three kids cars.
I have had a water pump failure, actually two, on a large industrial diesel. We installed a coolant filter on it and it solved the problem.

Owning a small business we have trucks/engines varying in age from model year '48, '62, '45, more than a dozen total, not including my personal autos and other than the one listed engine all have original water pumps.

I am sorry if I offended the Dex lovers, but in my world you have had a premature failure. I have not ever owned a car or piece of equipment with Dex installed, but i wouldn't say that I am anti-Dex. GM took care of that with me many years ago, as I will never own another one.

I am fully aware that a water pump can fail due to faulty installation, debris in coolant, or normal wear, not necessarily in that order.

There was over 680,000 Silverado's sold in 2004 so the vast majority of cars/trucks/suv's that have not had cooling system problems. So is it because of DEXCOOL that the majority of GM vehicles do not have problems? It is because of plane old green anti-freeze my Mustang's water pump failed at 6 years and less than 80K miles?

Or could it be because mechanical components just tend to fail?

Originally Posted By: dave1251

There was over 680,000 Silverado's sold in 2004 so the vast majority of cars/trucks/suv's that have not had cooling system problems. So is it because of DEXCOOL that the majority of GM vehicles do not have problems? It is because of plane old green anti-freeze my Mustang's water pump failed at 6 years and less than 80K miles?

Or could it be because mechanical components just tend to fail?

There is enough of a pattern of cooling system issues on certain models for DexCool to be a concern. I have attempted cleaning Dex sludge out of an 8 year old (at the time) Blazer with no luck, it was like the radiator had been filled with silt from a river. I've seen some funky coolant and reservoirs before, but that Blazer absolutely takes the cake for the worst cooling system damage I have ever seen.

I think if it is changed and monitored frequently, it can work fine, the problem is a lot of people don't do that. The issues DexCool can cause are completely preventable if you keep an eye on it. Don't and it CAN do damage.

Your Mustang's WP failure may have been caused by the green coolant if it was never changed in those six years and 80K miles.

Mechanical components do fail, but 113K miles still isn't very good life out of a WP. Nor is 80K. Lots of vehicles do better than that, even on DeathCool (if it gets changed).

A lot of Sienna owners do not even go between 5 years between Water pump failures. Once again it is the design and quality of manufacturing that determines the failure rate of a mechanical component. If DEXCOOL was the problem there would be more than a few thousand water pump, radiator, reservoir tank, gasket failures in the nearly 60 million vehicles that GM has sold with DEXCOOL and Ford will be using not counting the thousand upon thousand of vehicles that have used a DEXCLONE fluid.
Think about that 60 million vehicles from GM alone with DEXCOOL.

Like I said, it can work fine, but it also has more issues associated with it than some other coolants. Ford could have a lot of reasons for using it...cost might be one. A gallon of Dex-Cool is $13.99 here, and that's at Auto Zone. I bet it's cheaper at Wal-Mart. G-05 usually costs a couple dollars more and isn't as widely available. When buying thousands and thousands of gallons, even a small cost difference would add up.

The Blazer I mentioned above didn't have a problem due to a mechanical component failing, it had a problem with the coolant corroding and clogging the entire cooling system. Even if it doesn't happen all the time, I'd rather not take the chance.

Since when does the 3.0 cooling system have a tendency to clog? And what would that have to do with DexCool? Mine is spotless. The Taurus had issues with water pumps and coolant reservoirs, the Ranger and Aerostar did not. Completely different cooling systems.

And what do any of those vehicles have to do with DexCool? Yes, cooling system problems can happen without DexCool, that does not mean that DexCool has not caused problems. I don't see how posting about other random, unrelated cooling system issues proves anything about DexCool? That's like saying that the Ford cruise control switch never caused any fires because other types of vehicles that don't have this switch have also caught on fire.

Go ahead and use it to your heart's content. It's your cooling system, and your money to deal with the potential consequences. I'll stick with something known to work and keep my perfectly functioning cooling system.

If your mustang is an 06 why did you put green antifreeze in it? Or was this some time ago.

Last edited:
I have yet to replace a 4.8,5.3 or 6.0 Chevy WP because it was leaking. What happens is that the Dexcool eats the rubberlike O-rings that seal the WP to the block.

Was the OP's pump actully leaking or just the gaskets? If it was the gaskets I'd consider that a coolant caused problem.

Originally Posted By: dsonyay
I refilled with Prestone AMAM type because it is cheaper than the Prestone Dexcool. The ingredients are exactly the same too.

Let's not make that assumption.

We own more than one of every V8 GM makes in our fleet.

Not a one has ever required any cooling system work before 200k+ miles. One works everyday with over 400k miles.

All are dex-cooled. Never changed until something breaks.

And I have changed many a late model water pump and NEVER seen any damage to the oring type gaskets used at the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back