Soot in exhaust of TDI

This is from a '16 Ram 2500 Diesel.

I doubt I could get my fist up the tailpipe of a Jetta.:oops:
Yeah probably not🤣🤣 might be a bad day if you tried. Part of me wants to just delete the emissions stuff all together but the legality of all of that makes it less appetizing.

I admittedly do not know much about these VW common rail engines. However on a VW Facebook group there is this theory going around that your exhaust should be spotless and if it isn't and there is any soot you have a cracked dpf. I understand the logic to a point but isn't that almost impossible? Seems like some soot/dirt debris etc is going to get in there. Anyway wanted your thoughts my car is a mk6 Jetta but this is apparently true for all dpf systems I took a picture of my exhaust and the "spot". 🤷

Not unusual for the age and miles. The filter doesn't catch all the soot, though it appears to do so when fairly new.

I guess it can do this for an undetermined amount of time?

Yes, if regens aren't happening all the time, and you're not seeing smoke from the tailpipe (black normally but white when regen is active) leave it be. water vapour is normal of course, but thick white smoke isn't, and neither is visible black smoke.

Yes, if regens aren't happening all the time, and you're not seeing smoke from the tailpipe (black normally but white when regen is active) leave it be. water vapour is normal of course, but thick white smoke isn't, and neither is visible black smoke.
How often should it do a Regen? I haven't felt anything to know it's doing one but I know obd11 says it's done them.

I can't comment on frequency, compare to other golfs of that era. Most importanty, you don't want a regen to restart a few miles after the last one, which happens with a bad dpf.

I found this thread on the TDI forum. Seems that some soot is at least not unheard of for the VW TDI.

Back