2nd Gen Caravan repower musings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
If you like the Honda engine, just get an old 4 cyl Odyssey. They were actually pretty decent family haulers.

Ugly and slow but reliable.

The cosmetic appeal isn't there, but this is, after all, a discussion about vans - and it's better than a Previa! What was the seating setup in the early Odyssey? From the pics I can find it was a 50/50 or 60/40 split folding second row? Is there a step in the floor right behind the 2nd row or is it flat?

Huh?

I was going to say, buy a supercharged previa!

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Speak of the devil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiPwnqoEPbA

37 MPG.
shocked.gif

Nice!

As stated, the custom parts would scare me--fine for around town, where I could always have it towed home, but something to be said for off the shelf parts availability. All depends upon what you are willing to live with (err, the wife that is, if it's her ride).

When I had my TDI I was a bit sad at how much was on the backside of the motor. Probably not as big of a deal here, if the engine bay is nice and large. But on mine it seemed like they canted the engine towards the firewall and it was a bit of work accessing whatever was on the back.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: tcp71
If you want a project, get a miata or something and play with the engine. Your "family" car needs to be safe and dead-nuts reliable.

For that reason alone, I'd look at a well-maintained 2nd gen 2004-2010 Sienna or the last gen Chrysler vans, the VW Routan is the same thing but in VW drag- the latter can go with the Pentastar V6. The Sienna is a bit of a slouch compared to the Odyssey, but it can more than hold its own if summoned.

Coworker bought a Routan (I would have advised against) and has had problems with getting service. Seems like neither Chrysler nor VW want to really acknowledge this vehicle. Not saying you can't get parts, but anything that requires dealership service might be problematic.

I don't know if VAGCOM works with this vehicle--I think it's mostly Chrysler?

An interesting idea. Not practical of course. Since we're not going for practical, why not have some fun with it and shoehorn in something like the 2.7L ecoboost. I don't know what the mopar equivalent would be. Lots of torque, 315HP at the top I think. Would be fun

The Astro can also hold a SBC(L31 Vortec V8 and a 4L60E should be able to bolt up) if you really tried as well, the smaller GM vans(not the Dust Busters/Venture/Montana/Uplander) are based off the S-10/Sonoma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back