Soon acquiring an 09 cobalt for next to nothing. Anything I should know?

Won't go into detail but getting an 09 cobalt for next to nothing. I have a small shopping cart on rock auto for very basic maintenance items like filters, wiper blades, spark plugs, etc. I work with the guy getting rid of it and he says it runs ok but is hard to start sometimes. My daughter is turning 16 next month and this will likely be her first ride. It's apparently already had the notorious fuel lines replaced a few years back that are common to rust out on this model. Any advice is welcome.

Relatively simple cars but unlike my antique vehicles the timing chain needs replacement every 100,000 miles
The EGR and fuel / evap pipes rust out every 6 years by a clamp.

The manual 2010 XFE has otherwise been quite reliable, does burn a little oil if you don’t use 10w30, also has dilution issues

Worst thing about these cars is the timing chain, had one in the family and the timing chain went out around 100,000 miles without warning.

Price is very much right. Would it be worthwile to put $$ into the chain and possibly a quick and dirty paint job? (paint is horrible on the doors and side panels.)
Is it an interference motor?

Price is very much right. Would it be worthwile to put $$ into the chain and possibly a quick and dirty paint job? (paint is horrible on the doors and side panels.)
Is it an interference motor?
If the car is in an overall good condition and the transmission shifts good I don't see why not they are fairly solid cars overall.

Yes the 2.2 ecotec is an interference engine.

Like I said, the doors paint looks like someone took 80 grit to them, no shine at all. It's not rusty and I think he kept up with safety type maintenance with suspension type things. It's got 158K miles, forgot to mention

Like I said, the doors paint looks like someone took 80 grit to them, no shine at all. It's not rusty and I think he kept up with safety type maintenance with suspension type things. It's got 158K miles, forgot to mention
Maybe at least perform a compression test to get an idea on how healthy the engine is and decide from there if you want to put the money into it.

Maybe at least perform a compression test to get an idea on how healthy the engine is and decide from there if you want to put the money into it.
Wouldn't I kind of get an idea just driving it if the engine feels "off"?

Once running these cars can be near exploding and still run relatively normally .

They have to be right on the edge before you get strange noises and misfiring

My car ran 10,000 miles with the chain one tooth off

It can give you an idea but not certainty, and unless you are capable of doing the timing chain by yourself it is going to costs a decent chunk of money to have a shop do it which is why I recommend the compression test to get an idea of how healthy the engine is before dumping good money into it because you might decide at that point it is not worth it and just maintain it and drive it til it dies.

Ok, I'll call my local shop and see if they'd do this. They will likely be the ones doing the actual work if it actually needs it.
If you are capable of doing a spark plugs you are capable of doing a compression test yourself, it is very easy and you can watch plenty of youtube videos to guide you through. You can get a compression tester loaned from the parts store.

My son had a 2005 and got the electric power steering replaced on an extended warranty. I also have a stock exhaust system for the 2 door model that is in good shape. I will be glad to ship it free of charge if you pay for shipping.

The timing chain tensioner goes bad and is replaceable from outside the engine. They've redesigned it a couple times.

I took an HHR with a rebuilt title and questionable heritage to 220? k with synthetic oil changed at 30-40% remaining via OLM. That still worked out to 7k miles. Sold it running fine.

275K on my 06 but it is a 2.4 if that makes a difference. Original timing chain but does have upgraded tensioner. Purrs like a kitten.

My biggest complaint has been the swaybar endlinks which wear out and rattle. The factory ones are tough to remove since they have deformed-thread nuts and it is easier to zip them off with a die grinder (like most things, being in the salt belt makes a difference). Otherwise, most routine maintenance and repairs are really easy. Great AC. Great stereo.

Back